Pandora A,b,x,y Button Placement Not Emu Friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StriderNo9

Still Fresh
Question, why is the A and B buttons across from each other and Y and X buttons above each other? One of the best things about the ABXY setup is how A and B are next to each other and above them X and Y are next to each other. It mimics countless controllers and most importantly (for me at least) the SNES. Wouldn't this be confusing to a game you know so well like Zelda LttP. Pressing A ( in memory) means pressing X on the Pandora.

I know so far we haven't seen the final hardware but I hope this doesn't get overlooked because all the mockup share this flaw.

I've only recently found out that almost every console or other type of gaming system has it's own nomenclature for those 4 buttons. Thus, the pandora can either choose a side, not label them at all, put arrows on them or label them like a compass (the most sensible to me).

Wow... Big deal. Just set the emulator to what ever button you please. Ignore the text. Sorry, but this isn't exactly a big issue. Someone suggested using "Alpha Beta Gamma Delta" but then, why....? Leave em unlabeled even, not like anyone actually will care. Just as the D-pad doesn't have arrows showing what direction your pushing when you press one of the directions, the buttons only need labels for console specific features, and your going to know those anyway, regardless of what is printed on the button itself.
B!

I was just suggesting making it a bit more emulation friendly, I didn't say it was the end of the world. Relax. And yes, obviously you don't look at your hands when your playing it but it would be easier when mapping buttons.

Mr B said:
Wow... Big deal. Just set the emulator to what ever button you please. Ignore the text. Sorry, but this isn't exactly a big issue. Someone suggested using "Alpha Beta Gamma Delta" but then, why....? Leave em unlabeled even, not like anyone actually will care. Just as the D-pad doesn't have arrows showing what direction your pushing when you press one of the directions, the buttons only need labels for console specific features, and your going to know those anyway, regardless of what is printed on the button itself.
B!
The D-Pad labels is different than the Buttons. Up is Up whether or not there is an arrow, or a line, or a "U" on it. But if I tell you the code it "Up Up, Down Down, Left Right, Left Right, B A" and you hit those buttons - it won't work. Buttons have labels / names for a reason.

I'd rather have no labels - or completely different labels (As has so wisely been suggested by Chip - N S E W - like the points on a compass rose) than to use the letters x y a b but in a weird (as in nobody else does it that way) order.

Last edited by a moderator:

The D-Pad labels is different than the Buttons. Up is Up whether or not there is an arrow, or a line, or a "U" on it. But if I tell you the code it "Up Up, Down Down, Left Right, Left Right, B A" and you hit those buttons - it won't work. Buttons have labels / names for a reason.

I'd rather have no labels - or completely different labels (As has so wisely been suggested by Chip - N S E W - like the points on a compass rose) than to use the letters x y a b but in a weird (as in nobody else does it that way) order.

I agree.

Yea, I much would have preferred something a bit more intuitive, though I fear that it's a bit late for last-minute changes. Something like NSEW (compass), or numberings would have made heaps more sense.

Dunny said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
I hope they dont get very depressed when pressed
Don't worry, you'll be able to cheer them up later on.

D.

LOL, beat me to it. :p

That said, a compass labelling scheme would be another innovative stab at making Pandora unique. But whatever, not a huge issue for me...the Genesis had ABC after all...

<_<

While I don't mind that we revisit an issue just to cover all bases; we went over this TOO many times.

It's staying the way it is, the SNES is not a defacto standard of how face buttons should be. deal with it.

Game_over said:
It's staying the way it is, the SNES is not a defacto standard of how face buttons should be. deal with it.
O RLY?

button_layout.jpg

The most-used button layout ever has a bunch of funny symbols (square, circle, X, triangle) instead of any letters. So much for your "standard" ;)

Really, does it matter? I never once looked at the letters on my GP2X buttons, and yet somehow managed to play plenty of SNES.

EDIT: I just wanted to point out that I believe the reason the buttons are labeled how they are on the Pandora is so that programs can be ported from the GP2X without needing to change any in-prog text saying "Press Y for [x]" and so forth. And that's a good thing, yeah?

GunPei2X said:
The most-used button layout ever has a bunch of funny symbols (square, circle, X, triangle) instead of any letters. So much for your "standard" ;)

Really, does it matter? I never once looked at the letters on my GP2X buttons, and yet somehow managed to play plenty of SNES.

EDIT: I just wanted to point out that I believe the reason the buttons are labeled how they are on the Pandora is so that programs can be ported from the GP2X without needing to change any in-prog text saying "Press Y for [x]" and so forth. And that's a good thing, yeah?

I guess that makes sense. And I agree the PSX controller labels are pretty well known but hardly used outside of the PS world. Oh well it will do.

GunPei2X said:

For some people, certainly. For others... not so much. I've spent way too much time on the SNES to ever disassociate it's layout with abxy.

If i see a program say 'push the x button' i'm gunna instinctively push the top one.

The best way to avoid any such problems is to come up with something original or unusual. That way you sidestep the whole issue.

Not that it's a huge issue either way. But it will be ever so slightly and persistently annoying if it is the gp2x layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back