A, Y, B, X - what should they be called?

What name do you think is best for referring to the Pandora's A, Y, B, and X buttons (those to the r

• Action buttons

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Game buttons

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Other / Not applicable (Feel free to clarify.)

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

Behold, the official webpage sayeth:

• Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
  • 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad

For all Pandorians to see, the allmighty creators divided the buttons into "keypad" and "gaming controls". Thus thou shalt not call them any other than "gaming-buttons".

Or you just don't give a damn, because everybody will know what you mean if you say "action-" or "AYBX-" or "fire-buttons" as well ... even if you just write something like "press ( B )" for the gaming button, and "press B" for the button on the keypad people will be able to figure it out.

Just use something obvious and avoid names you completely made up yourself or derived from the Klingon language ... those might be a bit confusing and hard to pronounce, too ...

Last edited by a moderator:
"Fire buttons": Doesn't this have a problem similar to that of 'Action buttons'?

--

Or you just don't give a damn, because everybody will know what you mean if you say "action-" or "AYBX-" or "fire-buttons" as well ... even if you just write something like "press ( B )" for the gaming button, and "press B" for the button on the keypad people will be able to figure it out.

Just use something obvious [...]
I need a name for guihints, where I would like to recommend specific button names for use in documentation and software. I don't see it making sense to recommend (or use, for that matter) several names for the AYBX buttons, so I would like to either recommend a single name or no name at all.

--

At the time of this writing, the voting is pretty much tie between "Action buttons" (15 votes) and "Game buttons" (15 votes) ("Other / Not Applicable": 4 votes), so unless this will change significantly within the next days or so, I will probably use 'Game buttons' given the potentially higher ambiguity of 'Action buttons'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Button and Actionbutton in some of my projects when changing tutorials or readmes for the Pandorarelease, I think.

I would just vote for calling the keyboard keys keys and the Actionbuttons buttons ;)

Game buttons is still the clear leader in the poll.
That's not true, the current difference between "Action" and "Game" is small enough that it's pretty much irrelevant. (At the time of this writing it's "Action buttons": 16 votes; "Game buttons": 19 votes; "Other / Not Applicable": 5 votes.)

Back