A bit of babbling...

Klumpen, Wally, and God Ginrai

Thanks for the suggestions. Once I get a break from school, I'll give them all a try and see which one I'd rather stick with.

Not to bring this into a Linux Distro War.. but Mint has never given me joy. Debian is the OS of choice here (ED has clearly made this point too) :p
I wanted to try Debian in the near future.

Is there an easy to use version with a live CD?

Maybe with MATE preinstalled and something different than Caja? (I hate Caja by now)

Last edited by a moderator:
He requested for debian not mint (an ubuntu derivative...). He want the original not a pale copy of a pale copy
Ah ok, I thought the whole point of LMDE was to be not dependant on Ubuntu anymore

Ah ok, I thought the whole point of LMDE was to be not dependant on Ubuntu anymore
I thought the whole point of Mint was to be Ubuntu plus the stuff Ubuntu doesn't do right. If they remove Ubuntu... isn't it just another Debian derivative?

I thought the whole point of Mint was to be Ubuntu plus the stuff Ubuntu doesn't do right. If they remove Ubuntu... isn't it just another Debian derivative?
Sort of.  However the answer is a bit more complicated.

LMDE is based off of Debian testing.  (Currently Jessie)

However, it isn't subject to the continuous updates and re-updates that Debian testing users normally endure.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

LMDE in brief

• Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a semi-rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
  • It’s available in both 32 and 64-bit as a live DVD with MATE or Cinnamon.
  • The purpose of LMDE is to look identical to the main edition and to provide the same functionality while using Debian as a base.

3. What is a semi-rolling distribution?
Updates are constantly fed to Debian Testing, where users experience frequent regressions but also frequent bug fixes and improvements. LMDE receives "Update Packs" which are tested snapshots of Debian Testing. Users can experience a more stable system thanks to update packs, or switch their sources to follow Testing, or even Unstable, directly to get more frequent updates.

So, the theory is that LMDE is a bit more stable than Debian testing - which isn't a bad thing.  Not as stable as 'stable' (Currently Wheezy) of course.

For me the biggest drawback in LMDE is that it doesn't ship stock with Xfce (not really a big problem).  I'm still considering switching out my main home workstation to LMDE though - currently running Jessie.  In fact, I just downloaded the iso for it last night.

So, is:  Debian stable (Wheezy) > LMDE > Debian testing (Jessie) ?  Could be - not sure though.

Back