A Brief History Of Gp2x?

garzyboi said:
man geez some of you are just horrible...guess everyone of you expect your handhelds to be the best thing since sliced bread and make waffles in the mourning for you...

geez f-200 won't be a kick in the pants....why did you state the obvious...I'm not trying to be sarcastic or mean but geez way to rub it in the face?

geez and the craiginator looking like a price tag of 300 dollars, I mean is that just the console alone????

geez I never spent more then roughly 230 on a handheld I think...anything over 250 seems a bit farfetched...granted I hope it becomes a reality to but still I think we should continue to support f-200
Geez, I thought you said that the Craiginator had a "good chance" of getting off the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
sensible GP32 said:
I miss being a young member :D,

im sure ppl are in hiding they might not be posting but i reckon they are keeping up to date with things ready to become vocal again when the time is right.
At the birth of the GP32 reincarnate.....the Craiginator!

So... basically we should buy this thing just because it gives Craig money? The GP2x community isn't some kind of charity you know.
Many people are still in school/university, and can't afford to go spending £125 just to make people happy, and I assume many developers can't/won't either. I know I certainly won't be upgrading, since it's nothing more than a touchscreen and a clunky d-pad, one of those features already moddable for £30 (which is cheaper?) and the other probably not used a hell of a lot or mainly just for computer emulators.
I'm sure Craig doesn't bet on people giving him money just as an incentive and already has a financial backing for Project Bumblebee, as he has clearly been working on this for many months. Craig isn't stupid, and no serious businessman particularly in this field would rely on charity.

I will not buy an F200. I wil save my money for the new Craigix&Co Handheld. But I will never sell my GP2X. I don't know what other peoples do with their Handheld, but I use my GP2X Every Day. Lets say from 365 Days/year I use it 360. :) Since 1,5 Years by the way. I think My GP2X has a very high "Operation Hours" ratio, maybe much more than some older PSP's or DS out there. ^^
For me, my GP2X gave me back every Euro-Cent I put in buying the Handheld and this in a relative short time compared to other machines.
I don't need the F200, this thing is nice but just to late. So I'm hoping all the coders here will also work for the Craigiator, so we can play for example OpenTTD on it to ;)
And Maybe the new Craigiator will have an "Operation Hour Counter" so we can see, how long the device is enabled. I'm sure mine would have an Top-10 Ratio :lol:

But I will ever love my GP2X. Don't forget: without the GP2X and all his faults, maybe the new Craigix Handheld never was born. ;)

woogal said:
PoisonedV said:
Well I don't see this...
Even if Craig bulk orders the pieces at very large amounts (which he will probably have tons left over since I doubt as many people will get the craiginator as the f 200, because craiginator is even more "underground" than f200), and gets discounts on them, he will still have to manually put them together, which will take massive amounts of time and effort. Components + effort = 360 dollars? GP2X's sell for about 200, right? And they are presumably produced in small amounts in a factory.
That is, craig maybe got some place to produce them?
I could be full of shit and not know what I am talking about (most likely) since I have rarely worked with electronics and soldering...
From the look of this post I think it's quite rare that you even visit the real world. Why in fucks name would Craig be single handedly putting devices together himself? Did Bill write every line of Vista on his own, before sitting in front of a laptop burning millions of dvds and putting each one into the boxes by hand? Never heard of companies, factories, production lines?

Well, what I was wondering is what is the scope of this? Is this a small homebrew project a few people are working on, or is it being backed by a big company? Comparing cragixs "company" to Microsoft is a bit out there.

atomicthumbs said:
garzyboi said:
man geez some of you are just horrible...guess everyone of you expect your handhelds to be the best thing since sliced bread and make waffles in the mourning for you...

geez f-200 won't be a kick in the pants....why did you state the obvious...I'm not trying to be sarcastic or mean but geez way to rub it in the face?

geez and the craiginator looking like a price tag of 300 dollars, I mean is that just the console alone????

geez I never spent more then roughly 230 on a handheld I think...anything over 250 seems a bit farfetched...granted I hope it becomes a reality to but still I think we should continue to support f-200
Geez, I thought you said that the Craiginator had a "good chance" of getting off the ground.

Oh I'm pretty sure it will get off the ground its a "bitchin handheld" as I said, I was just wondering about the price. and I'm serious when I said I never spent more than 230 on a handheld...

And ravnos man thats a good one thick skin lol (canadian humor at its finest):p...man I better chill out before it becomes a flame war and get banned because me and ravnos opinions differ on the borderline of pure b.s.

I will be purchasing the f-200 model, but it will be after the first of the year. My money is being focused in another direction right now. My main interest is in retro 8 & 16 bit, GP2X homebrew, and Mame. I am not much into the 3D gaming on a portable unless it is racing.

When I think about the new Craig3X portable, I feel that maybe a lot of the programmers will have to work together to produce original games that would satisfy part of this community that has a craving for 3D portable gaming. Other than that all I see is emulators for its future. The 3D games that we are used to on our commercial portables and consoles were produced by teams of programmers. An individual programmer would have to work very hard (and have some deep love) to produce anything of the same magnitude. (spare time would factor heavily into this)

I really don't think the GP2X has reached its full potential, especially with the new touch screen and D-pad.

Can such a community as we have here not support two systems? One a 3D and the other a 2D? :huh:

edit: I cringed and gritted my teeth when the console industry left 2D for 3D.

darkman said:
I really don't think the GP2X has reached its full potential, especially with the new touch screen and D-pad.

Can such a community as we have here not support two systems? One a 3D and the other a 2D? :huh:

edit: I cringed and gritted my teeth when the console industry left 2D for 3D.
I totally agree.

I have serious reservations about the new machine being a viable success if craigix is banking on sales for the F200.
Hopefully he is looking for some investers with deeper pockets compared to our small and generally broke community.

saboteur said:
I think theres another angle to this.

The touch screen and some ported software will make the GP2X a very, very powerfull PDA.

This is where I see great potential - and u can play games, music and videos on it YAY.
Does it have a clock built-in (like a proper pda)?

I will probably buy an f-200 but I think the death of the scene is also due to lack of new emulators. And the reason for lack of emulators could be because there is better hardware out there to play with. So craigix is trying to counter that by releasing something new. Although his early announcement was a big mistake imo...

I bought a gp32 for emulators and I bought a gp2x for emulators (amiga specifically). I will not buy a craigenator until there is a solid amiga emulator released though. I practically bought the gp2x because of squidges blog post that he was working on an amiga emulator that got abandoned. I love homebrew games too but I wouldnt go and shell out for a new unit just for homebrew games.

I dont give a damn how much certain devs like to say emus suck etc.. etc.. emulators sell units!

P.S. Craigix killed the scene once before when he gave away zodiacs. :D

zodttd said:
Direct link to my article relating to the importance of the F200 in relation to the disbanding of the GP2X community:
http://zodttd.com/index.php?/archives/13-G...-GP2X-F200.html

Please let me know what you think. All feedback is welcome. Only thing I have second thoughts about is the affiliate links at the bottom of the article. I will strip the links of affiliate tags if needed.

So let me know if you agree/disagree, or have something to add. Doesn't look too good. :(

Well you know It was Craig that spilled the beans on this new device. Wasn't a good move if you rely on sales of existing hardware. It would be like if Sony started hyping the PS4 a year after the PS3 was released.

Then you have that awful stick. That is probably the biggest thing that killed the GP2X. It didn't gain enough momentum early as users and devs alike didn't like the stick which was installed wrong. They fixed it a bit later but still not the best. Now they put in a "pad" finally but they screwed that up too. In their infinite wisdom they put in 4 separate buttons (no, not a single piece pad underneath but 4 discrete un-connected buttons like on the right side of the unit) that sink in too far instead of a proper d-pad. It is not even out and already we are talking about how we are going to mod the 4-buttons into a real d-pad to work like it should ;)

Then many devs have just gotten bored of coding, or are taken over by RL it seems. Then we have had some major coders move to other platforms like Reesy and Notaz who went over to the giz. Devs are the lifeblood of the scene. When they stop developing new things or improving existing ones, the scene dies.

Now we can't un-ring the bell. The damage is done. Many coders are probably not motivated to spend countless hours honing an emu to eek out a few more FPS when they can port an emu in a few days for the "Craiginator" and get better performance with much less work/time.

Then you have new users looking to buy a system for emulation/homebrew but are now looking ahead to the "next best thing". (look at many threads here, where prospective buyers are saying they will now wait) Why waste $200.00 now on the GP2X when it will be replaced by the "Craiginator" soon and be left to die like the GP32 was? Why invest in a F200 when the "Craiginator" will have the fullspeed SNES, GBA, Amiga etc. that the Gp2X will never have?

It seems like the issue is multifaceted;
- every system will eventually lose user interest; maybe this is just the gp2x's time. I know when I got my MK1 it was interesting and new and even with all the great software to use it got old and then I rarely touched it. Now it sort of just seems like a novelty.
- the stick; that is probably a big part of why I lost interest and that nothing got done about it over such a long period of time probably disinterested more people than me.

The same reasons for user interest might be the same reasons developers seem to be losing interest except for a select few. All I know is I would see throwing good money after bad in a new gp2x with something that sounds much better on the horizon doesn't seem like something I would advise to anybody.

The sales of the F200 make no difference.

We *may* have some videos soon of stuff running on the new machine, when I say soon I mean maybe next month.

As for the price vs. power just read the massive thread. It was well established what people wanted there. For $200 you are *NOT* going to get a next gen handheld. It's just the nature of the technology.

What you will get for around $320 is the rolls royce of handhelds. It will be like the Amiga was when it showed up back in the 80's and should go on for several years.

$320 might be a lot... but what price was the PSP + a few games when it was launched?

markiej said:
saboteur said:
I think theres another angle to this.

The touch screen and some ported software will make the GP2X a very, very powerfull PDA.

This is where I see great potential - and u can play games, music and videos on it YAY.
Does it have a clock built-in (like a proper pda)?

Nah, but times all releative to GPH anyway :)

Can't see why they couldn't add one though

$320 is fair ..
i still wonder .. if gph intention was touchscreen just like ds..why on earth they released first edition without that nice feature?

i remember somebody talking about existing "touch screen" feature on gp2x board ..but not used

GPH never intended to have a touchscreen, they just go for whatever is cheapest at the time. The chipset used supports touchscreens but they must have found a supplier of cheap non-touch screens so just used them. I'd guess that 3.5" non-touch screens are becoming less common than 3.5" touchscreens, so now the touchscreens are cheaper.

Wow $320 is a lot to me. :( I was never able to afford the PSP when it was so expensive and one of the many reasons I ended up with a DS. It is easier for me to come up with the $169.99 for the F-200. I guess thats where I will be playing. :)

Ok, I'm new to the forums but have been tracking progress on this device through a friend for a while.

Now, I need to confirm the hardware capabilities but I'm looking at the device as more than just a game machine. I'm looking at it as what the Nokia 770/800 SHOULD have been.

I'm looking for a portable game machine for myself and my 2 kids, something that we can use to casually surf the web (yes, even at 800x480 though I'd really love 1024x600) via wifi, something that comes with Flash 9 support so that my kids can access the online school they are enrolled in, and of course a small hackable Linux box for me.

The price point of $320 doesn't scare me in the slightest. Sign me up for 3. Maybe 4 if the wife decides she likes it better than her Axim. ;)

Anyhow, time to go read the thread and de-noob myself.

-Josh

PS. If I'm still as bullish on the device after getting through the threads, I might want to know how I can invest in it. ;)

joshin said:
I'm looking for a portable game machine for myself and my 2 kids, something that we can use to casually surf the web (yes, even at 800x480 though I'd really love 1024x600) via wifi, something that comes with Flash 9 support so that my kids can access the online school they are enrolled in, and of course a small hackable Linux box for me.

The price point of $320 doesn't scare me in the slightest. Sign me up for 3. Maybe 4 if the wife decides she likes it better than her Axim. ;)

Are you a family of cyborgs from the future or something??

Back