A certain site down?

noisome

[The Site In Question] down...for good or temporary?

Thanks,

Noisome

(17/04/08: Edited for indirect rom site info - Tobriand)

Lineus said:
That topic is off limits here...
Then please post in the proper category. My understanding is General is anything that's not specific, and apparently this is.

Also the sticky mentions "What we don't do". Asking a question is not posted on there, so the topic is fair game the way I see it.

Next time, if this is off limits, then moderation basically requires it either be moved to the proper place or for me to be reprimanded with a reason and this thread locked. Please post a reason and/or state where this should be placed. Don't be so vague and inconsiderate.

Noisome

Last edited by a moderator:
Warez/ROM links are off limits, and I imagine they don't want discussion of specific site names either.

Anyway, looks to me like the the domain name registration has lapsed?

The site seems to be back up, thankfully.

And I don't see how or why discussing this could be frowned upon. The "List of things you don't do" clearly states that "warez/rom links" are forbidden. Emphasis on "LINKS".

It's true it's links that are forbidden explicitly. However, if it is possible to infer the site easily from the content, I'd say that counts. The only reason I didn't change this earlier was because I wasn't sure if the site in question was a torrent site for legal ones or not (there used to be such a tracker at one stage, and of course, that would have been fine).

In any event, the site's back up, I've checked it, and it does host roms, so I'm afraid (explicit) information that could lead to it is vanishing from this thread.

at its very start the site was advertised here and was kind of an alternative to the archive. but fairly quickly roms appeared on the site so it was no longer cool to directly mention or link to the site. referencing to the site seems to be no big deal just as long as its not a link or pretty obvious mention of the site name. You can say something like "a certain torrent site has this (rom or whatever) if you're looking for it" and the people who use the site (I'm sure a lot of board members) will know what you're talking about yet people who don't use the site won't be directed towards it and assume some relation with this site.

direct mentions of sites are practically the same as links as you can just throw that in google and go straight to the site.

just cause the rules don't specifically mention something doesn't mean you are free to do it. You have to take a general look at what the rules try to prohibit and not just be "technically" following the rules.

jbrodack said:
at its very start the site was advertised here and was kind of an alternative to the archive. but fairly quickly roms appeared on the site so it was no longer cool to directly mention or link to the site. referencing to the site seems to be no big deal just as long as its not a link or pretty obvious mention of the site name. You can say something like "a certain torrent site has this (rom or whatever) if you're looking for it" and the people who use the site (I'm sure a lot of board members) will know what you're talking about yet people who don't use the site won't be directed towards it and assume some relation with this site.

direct mentions of sites are practically the same as links as you can just throw that in google and go straight to the site.

just cause the rules don't specifically mention something doesn't mean you are free to do it. You have to take a general look at what the rules try to prohibit and not just be "technically" following the rules.

My point exactly - freedom of speech doesn't mean you can yell fire in a crowded theater. Follow the spirit, not the letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of which, is there any "official" torrent? I'd personally like to be able to get hold of the full content of archive.gp2x.de on a regular basis and a torrent would be perfect - I could download large amounts of data without hurting the site, I could update just those file that change each time etc.

Surely someone else would like this too, and it could reduce bandwidth use of those people who regularly download lots from the archive?

Back