A daily report from the Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
And finally back to France.

Less rich food, and poor beer.

Quiet travel, again giving ads to curious passengers ^^.

This morning, i went at ED's office to say goodbye.

He didn't want me to pay the unofficial contest SD card, so FZERO has finally to thank him.

As Askarus is now also helping, i feel less guilty to leave ^^. He gave me his own custom TV-out cable, so many thanks again man, i now have a reason to stare at TV all day long :) .

I woulda have liked to be back the 24th, but as the hotel has no room 'til sunday, and my only choice was a triple night train trip, it's simply not comfortable.

I also need time to enter the rebirth competition, other guys are already so advanced. And we only know the announced projects.

I must say i've never imagined this trip to be so cool.

This region is nice, people who lives there like it, and work hard to keep this high standing. There's some lessons to learn here.

The OP side was really interesting, learning new things, correcting false ideas.

I'm always a little scared to open my own OPs, but at least i know what i'm doing.

Building units from scratch is not a problem anymore because it's a simple task when correctly executed.

Imho, the most critical moment is rolling the lcd and closing the screen parts. With some practice it becomes a routine.

The 512M boards will be great, simply because the firefox browsing will be smoother, as other ram-greedy apps, and i'm confident with the quality.

I personally bet on less than 2% failure rate.

And we have two great builders, Link and Askarus !

I have to thank ED and the persons at his office for their kindness and friendship. Was a pleasure to be here.

So this is the end of my daily reports TT.

I'm now a reader of Link and Askarus adventures ^^. Post mass production pictures guys !!!

A green ocean of populated motherboards !

I tried to be as informative and entertaining as possible, filling your eyes with OP candies, and also showing to the most curious of you the places i enjoyed to visit.

Tchuss !

dsc04604.jpg

dsc04605.jpg

dsc04606.jpg

dsc04607.jpg

dsc04608.jpg

dsc04609.jpg

dsc04610.jpg

dsc04612.jpg

dsc04613.jpg

dsc04614.jpg

dsc04615.jpg

dsc04616.jpg

dsc04618.jpg

dsc04619.jpg

dsc04621.jpg

dsc04622.jpg

All those lovely photos... but where're the hot nurses and air hostess? :blink: you tease..!

Best pictures for my eyes only !

Actually, you can see them (no SD contest this time, sry ^^).

Sorry, I forgot my camera and can't take some pictures.

I'm also sorry to let go our special force: The Linux-SWAT Unit ;)

I don't think I need to be tempted by an SD card to look for pretty girls. :lol: But alas, I fear these tired eyes may not catch them...

You should definetely check out cologne around this time of the year ;)

And finally back to France.

Less rich food, and poor beer.

Quiet travel, again giving ads to curious passengers ^^.
Now I have Mike Oldfield in my Head. :lol:

Don't you know you're

Never going to get to France.

Mary, Queen of Chance, will they find you?

Never going to get to France.

Could a new romance ever bind you?

Great Photos. Yes, Fasching / Karneval / Fastnacht is a big thing in Germany, especialy in Mainz, Düsseldorf and Cologne. party on! ^^

ED, Askaraus, and myself were at EDs office at 7:30am loading boxes preparing for the ReBirth, ED rented a big Mercedes van to move everything to Oberhaching.

There are Pandoras ready for the wild. The people at Global Components are very nice, extremely open to a strange American walking around with a GoPro HD camera, nothing was off limits. I can't spoil ED's update but I know for a change he is tired, its been a long week, and a long couple of months. He has his office back now for the most part, there aren't huge boxes laying all around his office, the old mixing room, and the reception area. Did I mention the people from Global Components are great?

I'm very happy, last week it was a dilemna for me to stay here or not, and spend the extra money on a plane ticket, but today was definetly a very memorable day for me and worth every penny spent to stay. It really means a lot to me to see good production happening compared to things like suicide nets at Foxconn. I talked with a newer employee who's only been there six weeks, I asked her if this was a difficult project, and just by the way she looked at me told me it is the most difficult thing that she's had to work on in that amount of time . She likes working there.

Things started slow, as well, they should. As the day progressed, overall things got better. Perhaps if CircuitCo would have done things properly, like happened today, then we wouldn't be waiting on 1200 more boards from them. But we all know what happened there.

Lunch was very nice, I'm assuming it was the plant manager and perhaps the CEO, or maybe just the production manager, plant manager, and one of the technicians who was helping ED most of the day with things. Some of the best pizza I've had in Germany.

We stayed pretty late assembling and so forth. I also thought it was great that there was a bit of debriefing to end the night, which was very professional in my opinion. For an 8 layer board, I think things went well. But what do I know. Not sure how much video I'll take tomorrow, but I would like to get some more of the PnP at work. The stencil is pretty bad ass as well. After a few years following this project, its funny how I've learned so much about the process through the boards and past failures. So in my eyes today was a grand succes and I'm very happy for EvilDragon pulling this off in 2xTwo Months basically. We had to deal with Chinese New Year and delays around that once again for this project, so some might say 5 months, but I'm fine with 4 since the community stepped up and funded this operation, which all investors should be proud of. This is really something special as is this product/project.

To the preorders waiting, don't lose hope, great things are happening, and if you've been waiting since the first week of preordering in 2008, I'm with you and so are a lot of people who didn't put up a white flag and give up. I think Craig deserves a lot of credit here too because I can't imagine how he managed to assemble 2800 units, especially with how haywire (think mustache) things were going to him from Texas.

I understand why my Premium unit showed up with stripped screw holders, I understand how wonky A buttons (but it can happen with B,Y, & X too) occurred. Seeing how difficult these things are to assemble and disassemble is a credit to him and the people who helped him because they managed to do the impossible with a company who were intent on making it impossible (Circuit Co). L&R buttons being too stiff or not long enough for contact. I'm surprised those blokes are still operating in any capacity.

Michael Weston of course deserves major props for all of his design and input into making this a reality, and lastly Fatih, behind the scenes for the most part keeping things moving from the Far East.

To all of you I give my humble thanks.

In the words of Penny Lane "It's all happening!"

Good night! Need rest to test tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome and poignant post Link :)

Coincidental you should be posting Vai, as I 'almost' linked 'Little Green Men' from Flexable to Prometheus' song request thread of 'Mysterious lights in the sky' a moment ago :)

ED, Askaraus, and myself were at EDs office at 7:30am loading boxes preparing for the ReBirth, ED rented a big Mercedes van to move everything to Oberhaching.

There are Pandoras ready for the wild. The people at Global Components are very nice, extremely open to a strange American walking around with a GoPro HD camera, nothing was off limits. I can't spoil ED's update but I know for a change he is tired, its been a long week, and a long couple of months. He has his office back now for the most part, there aren't huge boxes laying all around his office, the old mixing room, and the reception area. Did I mention the people from Global Components are great?

I'm very happy, last week it was a dilemna for me to stay here or not, and spend the extra money on a plane ticket, but today was definetly a very memorable day for me and worth every penny spent to stay. It really means a lot to me to see good production happening compared to things like suicide nets at Foxconn. I talked with a newer employee who's only been there six weeks, I asked her if this was a difficult project, and just by the way she looked at me told me it is the most difficult thing that she's had to work on in that amount of time . She likes working there.

Things started slow, as well, they should. As the day progressed, overall things got better. Perhaps if CircuitCo would have done things properly, like happened today, then we wouldn't be waiting on 1200 more boards from them. But we all know what happened there.

Lunch was very nice, I'm assuming it was the plant manager and perhaps the CEO, or maybe just the production manager, plant manager, and one of the technicians who was helping ED most of the day with things. Some of the best pizza I've had in Germany.

We stayed pretty late assembling and so forth. I also thought it was great that there was a bit of debriefing to end the night, which was very professional in my opinion. For an 8 layer board, I think things went well. But what do I know. Not sure how much video I'll take tomorrow, but I would like to get some more of the PnP at work. The stencil is pretty bad ass as well. After a few years following this project, its funny how I've learned so much about the process through the boards and past failures. So in my eyes today was a grand succes and I'm very happy for EvilDragon pulling this off in 2xTwo Months basically. We had to deal with Chinese New Year and delays around that once again for this project, so some might say 5 months, but I'm fine with 4 since the community stepped up and funded this operation, which all investors should be proud of. This is really something special as is this product/project.

To the preorders waiting, don't lose hope, great things are happening, and if you've been waiting since the first week of preordering in 2008, I'm with you and so are a lot of people who didn't put up a white flag and give up. I think Craig deserves a lot of credit here too because I can't imagine how he managed to assemble 2800 units, especially with how haywire (think mustache) things were going to him from Texas.

I understand why my Premium unit showed up with stripped screw holders, I understand how wonky A buttons (but it can happen with B,Y, & X too) occurred. Seeing how difficult these things are to assemble and disassemble is a credit to him and the people who helped him because they managed to do the impossible with a company who were intent on making it impossible (Circuit Co). L&R buttons being too stiff or not long enough for contact. I'm surprised those blokes are still operating in any capacity.

Michael Weston of course deserves major props for all of his design and input into making this a reality, and lastly Fatih, behind the scenes for the most part keeping things moving from the Far East.

To all of you I give my humble thanks.

In the words of Penny Lane "It's all happening!"

Good night! Need rest to test tomorrow!
Quotin' this for new page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back