A Fun Little Device

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
My Dingoo arrived on Thursday.

I've loaded it up with games and Vids. What a cracking little device it is. The onboard emulators are real fun but it did reinforce my opinion that the GP32's emulators were seriously impressive for their time. Audio is passable and Video playback is pretty good too. The TV out is quite good for such a cheap device.

The trouble is it's a black Pawed HK serial number so none of the scene emulators or apps run. :( I'll need to keep an eye on the scene until someone finds a fix but it almost seems to me like the device has been crippled on purpose. e.g I have uploaded the scene fixed version of the MD emulator to the Dingoo and that runs fine but everything else non standard is borked. The dingoo freezes as soon as you try to run anything and has to be reset.

I may install Dingux but equally I may not bother as the HK Dingoos aren't that well understood yet and I don't want to brick it. Also it is mainly a fun stop gap for me until my Pandora arrives and it does what it does so well already :)

I'm awaiting the arrival of an 8GB Micro SD with Mini SD adapter so I can load more goodies onto it.

Basically even if I don't put any other apps and emulators on it, for the cash it's a great little gadget.

ToaD

I don't think you can really brick the dingoo. If possible, I'd really try dingux. It adds lot of value. Only apps I run on native firmware from time to time are gba-emu and mediaplayer.
On dingux, I run a crapload of homebrew/indy-games (giana's return, yay!), fba320, mame, picodive, upce, scummvm, snes9x, psx4all, etc.
If I wouldn't have dingux, I'd probably give the dingoo to my nephew, mom or sister.

What is this HK serial number Dingoo, anyway?

Mine are WH and BK serial numbers. I just assumed that stood for White and Black.

Too bad about these HK serial number things...I wonder if they weren't purposefully crippled, as part of the "un-pawing" process at the request of certain re-sellers...so that they could then put their own stuff on (the re-sellers, I mean) and then charge a lot more for a Dingoo that isn't called a Dingoo, anymore...and charge far more for it.

I have very little faith in corporations, I think they are all in cahoots together (and with our various governments) to screw over consumers and employees alike. All they care about is making a fast buck, whatever it takes...and if people get screwed in the process...big corporation doesn't give a shit.

Too bad, I remember a time when this was not always the case.

conso said:
I don't think you can really brick the dingoo. If possible, I'd really try dingux. It adds lot of value. Only apps I run on native firmware from time to time are gba-emu and mediaplayer.
On dingux, I run a crapload of homebrew/indy-games (giana's return, yay!), fba320, mame, picodive, upce, scummvm, snes9x, psx4all, etc.
If I wouldn't have dingux, I'd probably give the dingoo to my nephew, mom or sister.
LOL. I gave my DSi to my mom, because I got P.O.ed about the way Ninty went about their "upgrade" to 1.4 and screwed Acekard users.

I decided the extra screen real estate wasn't worth it, and went back to my beautifully un-adulterable DS Lites.
Even though the fix is out and I have the Acekards updated. I also told my mom never to hook up to the Net or to ever authorize any "update" the machine requests.

so I loaded up the Acekard in the DSi full of stuff that would appeal to Mom (63 years old) and then just gave it to her.

My reasoning is....I figure it is only a matter of time before Ninty figures a way to "update" us WITHOUT OUR APPROVAL ENTIRELY and make Acekards useless.

They CAN'T do that with DSLites, no matter how much they'd like to.

I thought the Dingoo was terrific because here, the manufacturer seemed to not only not mind homebrew, but to even encourage it.

And now, here they are, with their un-pawed versions, catering to big re-sellers who want to slap their own name and a premium price on a Dingoo, call it something else...charge more for it, and have it do less for the higher price...and here, Dingoo is cooperating with those that would screw the end consumer, I'm real disappointed there.

But you can't entirely blame Dingoo Corp, if they can get a mass order for 10,000 units or something. Still, it's sad that, in the end...end users are gonna get to pay more for a Dingoo that does less...and isn't even called a Dingoo anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
conso said:

I'm salavating at the thought of ScummVM, Picodrive and Snes9x. Bugger it. I'll probably try Dingux when I get my SD card :D

BaDToaD said:
I'm salavating at the thought of ScummVM, Picodrive and Snes9x. Bugger it. I'll probably try Dingux when I get my SD card :D

Go for it, it really is worth it :) The dual boot ability is awesome, you get all the cool homebrew apps/emus and the built in stuff too.

Kalisiin said:
And now, here they are, with their un-pawed versions, catering to big re-sellers who want to slap their own name and a premium price on a Dingoo, call it something else...charge more for it, and have it do less for the higher price...and here, Dingoo is cooperating with those that would screw the end consumer, I'm real disappointed there.

I hope you are aware that Dingoo themselves are just licensing/reselling the hardware from Gemei.

Exophase said:
Kalisiin said:

I hope you are aware that Dingoo themselves are just licensing/reselling the hardware from Gemei.

I'm aware of that.
But Dingoo was becoming a brand. And it was getting community support. and recognition.

And then they sold out for the god-almighty buck...and, in the final analysis, it is the future end user who is gonna get screwed....because they will buy a Dingoo that is not called a Dingoo, now...and they will pay more for a Dingoo (which is no longer even called a Dingoo) that has been intentionally crippled to do less than it should.

Pay more...get less - sounds like a real winner for the consumer!! NOT!!!

Do we know that Dingoo is catering to re-sellers?

Why wouldn't the resellers just go direct through Gemei?

Pleng said:
Do we know that Dingoo is catering to re-sellers?

Why wouldn't the resellers just go direct through Gemei?

This was the reason given for the "non-pawed" versus previously "pawed" versions of the device.

And maybe Dingoo has an exclusive license, so that the resellers CAN'T go thru Gemei.

I've seen games out there on the market that are obviously Dingoos, but are not called Dingoo's...and are higher priced - called things like "Retro Game Emulator"

Kalisiin said:
I've seen games out there on the market that are obviously Dingoos, but are not called Dingoo's...and are higher priced - called things like "Retro Game Emulator"

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bd6f/

You mean that's what you're getting all bent out of shape over? Isn't that just the store calling it something else? Who cares what they call it? How do you even know Dingoo has anything to do with this marketing?

I don't know why anyone would have high expectations for a product whose success is centered around a bunch of stolen emulators. Not that I really care.

Exophase said:
I don't know why anyone would have high expectations for a product whose success is centered around a bunch of stolen emulators. Not that I really care.
I know it's shitty that they stole gpsp (among others) for the native firmware, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's success is centered around that fact. It has much more to do with form-factor & price-point than anything else imo. Not to mention the influence linux & homebrew had on it (the main selling point for me). Plus it's a very capable media-player (with great tv-out) on top of everything else. It was a combination of all these things that made it successful. I don't know how much truth there is to you not caring tho (understandably so, hell I'd be pissed too, as would most anyone else).

Consequence9 said:
I know it's shitty that they stole gpsp (among others) for the native firmware, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's success is centered around that fact. It has much more to do with form-factor & price-point than anything else imo. Not to mention the influence linux & homebrew had on it (the main selling point for me). Plus it's a very capable media-player (with great tv-out) on top of everything else. It was a combination of all these things that made it successful. I don't know how much truth there is to you not caring tho (understandably so, hell I'd be pissed too, as would most anyone else).

Fair enough, but I think it'd be a fair point to say that almost all of the software ran on the device was done by people not affiliated with it, and that without this software it'd be totally dead in the water. No one would have bought it if it were just a media player. That's just a nice bonus. It's an emulator machine, that's its core reason for existing.

Of course, much of the same can be said of the Wiz and GP2X.

I really don't mind that they're using my emulator w/o releasing the source, not even a little. If I did I would have been quite vocal about it, I guarantee that. Actually, in this case I feel better knowing that it's benefiting more people than it would have otherwise. I just think it's silly to pretend that they're a company that has its userbase's interests in mind more than most companies, least of all Chinese ones selling a product for next to nothing.

Exophase said:
I really don't mind that they're using my emulator w/o releasing the source, not even a little. If I did I would have been quite vocal about it, I guarantee that. Actually, in this case I feel better knowing that it's benefiting more people than it would have otherwise.

Jeez I didn't realise this. Although thinking about it it's pretty obvious as it's been done before. :(

TBH I am using the Media Player functionality more than the emulators but I have 2 GBA SPs a DS Lite and a GP32 for portable my gaming needs but that said, the emulators and homebrew possibilities was what swung it for me rather than just getting a different generic media player.

Exophase said:
Kalisiin said:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bd6f/

You mean that's what you're getting all bent out of shape over? Isn't that just the store calling it something else? Who cares what they call it? How do you even know Dingoo has anything to do with this marketing?

You have your own cross to bear with regards Dingoo. Now I realize who YOU are.

No, what I'm getting all bent out of shape about is that...because of what thinkgeek is doing there, the end user is being screwed...by being sold a Dingoo that isn't called a Dingoo...at a higher price than a Dingoo...and worse, the "Dingoo" in question has been purposefully crippled to do less!

The person buying that device now is getting less and paying more. And that sucks.

And Dingoo has GOT to be cooperating in this.

Make a buck. Any way you can. Screw the consumer!
C'mon, Exo...look how they screwed YOU, too. You really think it's beyond them to screw the consumer, too, if it'll make them more of the godalmighty buck?

What I'm bent out of shape over is the way the consumer is getting screwed.
Call me Ralph Nader if you want. But someone the hell oughta care about the consumer!

Exophase said:
Consequence9 said:

Fair enough, but I think it'd be a fair point to say that almost all of the software ran on the device was done by people not affiliated with it, and that without this software it'd be totally dead in the water. No one would have bought it if it were just a media player. That's just a nice bonus. It's an emulator machine, that's its core reason for existing.

I really don't mind that they're using my emulator w/o releasing the source, not even a little. If I did I would have been quite vocal about it, I guarantee that. Actually, in this case I feel better knowing that it's benefiting more people than it would have otherwise. I just think it's silly to pretend that they're a company that has its userbase's interests in mind more than most companies, least of all Chinese ones selling a product for next to nothing.

who's pretending that??

I'm calling them out for precisely that...NOT CARING ABOUT THE USERBASE...and selling out in the manner they apparently have, with the non-pawed, crippled "Dingoos" that, now that they are not identified as Dingoos...can be sold for higher prices by resellers.

Like I said...Get less, pay more!! Great fuckin' deal for the consumer!! NOT!!

And I think I already said my opinion is that MOST companies do not care about their userbase...only the godalmighty buck....so I think we agree on far more than we disagree on, Exo.

BaDToaD said:
Exophase said:
I really don't mind that they're using my emulator w/o releasing the source, not even a little. If I did I would have been quite vocal about it, I guarantee that. Actually, in this case I feel better knowing that it's benefiting more people than it would have otherwise.

Jeez I didn't realise this. Although thinking about it it's pretty obvious as it's been done before. :(

TBH I am using the Media Player functionality more than the emulators but I have 2 GBA SPs a DS Lite and a GP32 for portable my gaming needs but that said, the emulators and homebrew possibilities was what swung it for me rather than just getting a different generic media player.

Agree. I hardly use the media aspects...for me, it's an emulation machine, first and foremost.

What swung it for me was my pissed off reaction to Nintendo's sneaky release of DSi Ver. 1.4 firmware, and how it disabled Acekards.

That pissed me off, so I decided to go with a Dingoo, because Dingoo would never intentionally try to disable flashcarts. and then sneak the disable onto your device by telling you it was a "necessary" "upgrade" to the firmware. And NOT telling you that it would screw your Acekard.

Ninty pissed me off with that action, and that was what made me buy a Dingoo.

Kalisiin said:
Exophase said:
Consequence9 said:

who's pretending that??

I'm calling them out for precisely that...NOT CARING ABOUT THE USERBASE...and selling out in the manner they apparently have, with the non-pawed, crippled "Dingoos" that, now that they are not identified as Dingoos...can be sold for higher prices by resellers.

Like I said...Get less, pay more!! Great fuckin' deal for the consumer!! NOT!!

And I think I already said my opinion is that MOST companies do not care about their userbase...only the godalmighty buck....so I think we agree on far more than we disagree on, Exo.

Really, thinkgeek are selling the dingoo under an alternative name for half a year or longer. The unpawned version has nothing to do with that. We are not even sure if the company is really responsible for that unpawned version.

Kalisiin said:
You have your own cross to bear with regards Dingoo. Now I realize who YOU are.

Wow, would people take me more seriously? I don't care about what they did! My opinion of the device and the company has nothing to do with it. They're not the first company to do it, they won't be the last. Moreover, it's just some port. Them releasing the source code means absolutely nothing to me on a personal level. I was just using it to point out that they were never that "nice" but I'm regretting bringing it up.

Kalisiin said:
No, what I'm getting all bent out of shape about is that...because of what thinkgeek is doing there, the end user is being screwed...by being sold a Dingoo that isn't called a Dingoo...at a higher price than a Dingoo...and worse, the "Dingoo" in question has been purposefully crippled to do less!

The person buying that device now is getting less and paying more. And that sucks.

And Dingoo has GOT to be cooperating in this.

Make a buck. Any way you can. Screw the consumer!

I'm sorry but none of this is making sense to me. Retailers always sell devices at varying prices, especially if it's an import from another country. It's the consumer's responsibility to research to find the best price, calling foul play because one store is selling something for more is absurd. I also doubt that marketing it under a different name is deliberately anticompetitive - they're probably calling it something else because they think "Dingoo" sounds dumb (it does) and want to make it clearer what the intended functionality of the device is. Finally, I don't really know how they've limited the functionality, especially when you can probably still put whatever you want on it.

ALSO it's possible that this isn't even a Dingoo and is something they got from someone else who got it from Gemei. Where is your evidence that Dingoo has any involvement here?

Kalisiin said:
C'mon, Exo...look how they screwed YOU, too. You really think it's beyond them to screw the consumer, too, if it'll make them more of the godalmighty buck?

What I'm bent out of shape over is the way the consumer is getting screwed.
Call me Ralph Nader if you want. But someone the hell oughta care about the consumer!

How else do you think a company is going to survive selling a device at the price Dingoo is? People keep acting like companies are greedy and will sacrifice anything to increase their profits, but they don't really seem to see that there's a fine line between profit and commercial failure. If companies like this don't do what's necessary to make money then they fold and the product ceases to exist. Everything involved is a tradeoff. People talk about how companies have no love for what they're doing, but wouldn't making decisions that all but guarantees the inevitable failure of the product be showing the least love possible? It's a tough market out there, and it's much worse in China. Companies have to do things that might not always seem favorable to us.

"I really don't mind that they're using my emulator w/o releasing the source, not even a little. If I did I would have been quite vocal about it, I guarantee that."

"...but I'm regretting bringing it up."

OK then, Why are you regretting? Just curious to know.

Back