A Level Results O_o

I shouldn't worry if I were any of you. The fact that you are regular contributors to this forum indicates you will go a very long way :)

Look at me. Before I got a GP32 I was an unemployed Traffic Warden and now I'm an IT manager and computeach were not even involved ;)

BaDToaD posted on Aug 18 2005 at 10:43 PM said:
I shouldn't worry if I were any of you. The fact that you are regular contributors to this forum indicates you will go a very long way :)

Look at me. Before I got a GP32 I was an unemployed Traffic Warden and now I'm an IT manager and computeach were not even involved ;)

Thats quite an acheivement.

Did you just self teach through experimentation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done to all. A-levels are bloody hard whatever they say. I was ok - I got A,B,C and went on to do what I wanted. If you dont get on your first choice of course, it may be a blessing in disguisse, you never know!

Klown posted on Aug 18 2005 at 10:10 AM said:
Rico posted on Aug 18 2005 at 10:08 AM said:
I thought they looked at the average mark and then added/substracted from your mark to make sure only a certain % got an A, which makes it less of a problem if a paper is too hard or too easy. This has changed?
That sounds about right.
It used to be that only a certain %age got an A, B, etc.
Not any more. This is where the 'Best Students Ever' Headlines come from and shows the media's misunderstanding of the system, and the problems with it.

And why Uni's are going to be introducing their own entrance exams.
It got changed 15 years ago when the first comprehensive intakes got to further education.

My guess is that some minister wanted their kids to have done a little better and tinkered with a good system that didn't need tinkering with just for the sake of being seen to do something, which politicians seem to want to do. <_<
*Ahem - breathes slowly*
Ministers wanted a 'fairer' system that rewards a students work rather than ranking them against each other.

no, the grade boundaries are moved each year so that only the right amount get A's. or at least thats what ive been told over and over again over the last 2 years. The reason A's are easier to achieve is because of resits, IMO.

This happened before the rise of the internet, so it took a little extra digging to find (thank Jeeves :) )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3150189.stm
BBC said:
In 1965, when grades were first awarded, 10% of places were to be allocated for As and 20% for Es.

The cap on the percentage of A grades was removed in 1982.

Edit:
Also ...

http://www.elresearch.com/wiki/A-levels
http://www.elresearch.com/ said:
Universities in Britain have complained that the increasing number of A grades awarded makes it hard to distinguish between different students at the upper end of the ability spectrum. The C grade was originally intended to represent the average ability, and students typically required 60% or higher across all assessments to attain it; however, the average result is now at the lower end of the B grade, rendering this measure almost meaningless. Many universities now have their own entrance tests or interviews to distinguish between applicants

I got B (Business) B (Graphics) and C (Maths)

I needed BBB for Warwick, but they let me in since my maths was 3UMS off a B and my Business a mere 1ums off of an A

for anyone doing AS next year DO BUSINESS

I cannot stress how easy the course is, as long as you are logical about everything, even a wrong answer could be proven right

I did no revision and didnt look at my notes (I just stuffed em in my bag) and I got a higher mark than several people in my class who are doing a Business Degree (clearly they have no sense since they are doing a business degree :p)

you couldn't

we could do Product Design: Graphics and Product Design: Res Mat.

I didnt like it too much tho, the coursework was too stressful (I kept doing it then getting it back, and having to redo it)

Back