A Moron Needs Some Help.....

kermit

Still Fresh
Hi

I recently purchased a gp2x from ebay. I hadnt heard about it until recently but got excited after reading so much on the net and watching vids on youtube. I have little to no skills on a computer and ive been trying to bluff my way through downloading some emulators and games.

I downloaded gngeo and rage2x and installed them. I downloaded a set of neo geo roms aswell. I took the 00-lo.lo file and sifx.sfx from the rom package and put them in the rom folder as instructed. I then extracted Metal Slug with winrar and placed it on my SD card. Metal Slug still appears as a .zip file on my card....is this how it's supposed to be?

Anyway, I started up the gp2x and got rage2x going. All the games listed were red including Metal Slug. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

If anyone helps, please keep your answers real simple, im not the sharpest knife in the drawer... :p

Thanks

kermit said:
Hi

I recently purchased a gp2x from ebay. I hadnt heard about it until recently but got excited after reading so much on the net and watching vids on youtube. I have little to no skills on a computer and ive been trying to bluff my way through downloading some emulators and games.

I downloaded gngeo and rage2x and installed them. I downloaded a set of neo geo roms aswell. I took the 00-lo.lo file and sifx.sfx from the rom package and put them in the rom folder as instructed. I then extracted Metal Slug with winrar and placed it on my SD card. Metal Slug still appears as a .zip file on my card....is this how it's supposed to be?

Anyway, I started up the gp2x and got rage2x going. All the games listed were red including Metal Slug. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

If anyone helps, please keep your answers real simple, im not the sharpest knife in the drawer... :p

Thanks
Depending on your local laws, you might be able to locate and download a torrent for your emulators. That's often the easiest way. Search Google for GP2X torrents.

Most of the time emulators aren't illegal---just the ROMs. So you could get a pack and delete any copyright-infringing files, thereby keeping yourself in accordance with your country's laws. Possibly. I am not a lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.- Most likely, you'll need more BIOS files (sfix, 000-lo and many others) Search, download, extract and install on the roms directory of your Gp2x the "universe bios" (UNIBIOS) package from their official web site. I think it is enough for most games. If it doesn't work, I was said that there is a neogeo.zip file somewhere that includes every other BIOS file except UNIBIOS
2.- Yes, the final file for Metalslug is a Zip. You shouldn't extract nor rename that file, so I do not get where Winrar fits here... Anyway, make sure you are using the right rom format. There are a couple of different formats out there. I recommend to search in Mame repositories (not Neogeo) since it shares format with our Gngeo emulator.
3.- Although it seems to be a torrent file packaged with every Neogeo game, it weighs tons, lasts days to download and I'm sure that you don't own so many games. In the other hand, it must be simpler to install.
4.- Finally, you may prefer to list only available games in Rage2x. If you press SELECT you'll get the config menu to set that and many other configurations (advisable)

Contents of my 'gngeo2x/roms' directory:
000-lo.lo
asia-s3.rom
mslug.zip
sp-e.sp1
usa_2slt.bin
asia-s3.rom
sp-j2.rom
vs-bios.rom
sfix.sfx
sp-s2.sp1
sp-s.sp1
sm1.sm1
uni-bios.rom

Hey

Thanks for your help guys. I now have Metal Slug working but I cant seem to get any sound. I pressed Y on the game selector screen but there still isnt any sound when I start the game.
Any thoughts?

kermit said:
Hey

Thanks for your help guys. I now have Metal Slug working but I cant seem to get any sound. I pressed Y on the game selector screen but there still isnt any sound when I start the game.
Any thoughts?
Yeah, there's one button (I think it's Y) that lets you cycle through the speed/sound options. The default is no sound. Look at the readme.txt, it should be explained there.

It's 'select' to get to the options. I had already looked there, but because im such a moron I thought sound had already been enabled...it hadnt. D'oh!

I do have yet another question....Every time i try and exit the gngeo emulator it freezes. Is there any way to sort this out?

kermit said:
It's 'select' to get to the options. I had already looked there, but because im such a moron I thought sound had already been enabled...it hadnt. D'oh!

I do have yet another question....Every time i try and exit the gngeo emulator it freezes. Is there any way to sort this out?
Gngeo always used to freeze for me when exiting until I installed Rage2x, which now makes it succesfully exit but can take a few seconds. Make sure you're giving it enough time.

I've given it plenty of time on a few occasions....still freezing. :huh:

definitely install rage2x...even if it still crashes, you'll have a sweet front-end. you could also use the gmenu2x selector instead of regular selector, but you have to specify the startup options (sound sample rate, etc) in gmenu2x. rage2x will let you change those options on the fly.

I've just got a tv out lead. I hooked it up to my widescreen 32" CRT tv and gave GNGEO a go on it. It looks horrible.

Is there any way to improve the pic quality?

Is there a list of emulators that work with the tv out?

I always use rage2x. How is it supposed to improve the uotput via the tv lead?

Back