Attachments

• 11-nintendo-inside.jpg
    11-nintendo-inside.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 11-nintendo-inside.jpg
    11-nintendo-inside.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 163
is that real or a fake?

im sure the scene will be the same as GBA one, so thats not as good as the gp32 one!

Daz_Genetic posted on May 11 2004 at 04:01 PM said:
Looks reall cheap and nasty. I hope this is an early concept or mockup.
So do I! :lol:
tbh I think I will get one of them and a PSP
Do you think a direct competitions on the way?
nintendo have never really had much to worry about in their hanheld market GBC and onwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since the system is designed around similar architecture to the GBA, the earliest games will just be ports of existing GBA titles, but with some second screen functionality tagged on. I really can't see this competing at all with the PS1 and PS2 ports that will be on the PSP.

I'm sure that some games will be totally unique and that is where they are trying to put it. They want it so that other game systems can't even come close to offering the same kind of gameplay. I just don't believe that a second screen and a stylus is going to revolutionize gameplay.

It's interesting that they mention that the DS has more processing power than the N64. It also has a lower resolution, so there are possibilities for a great Mario DS.

I'm gonna wait and see. I'll probably get both, but I just can't imagine that picture being the final design. It is just too "prototype" looking.

The touch screen thingy is just a gimmick. It'll be the 802.11 and wifi support that'll be the killer app - just depends who gets it sorted out first, and so far Sony seem to be ahead in that one :)

I don't think there will be many GBA ports as it it supposed to have two cartridge ports. One for DS games and one for GBA games.

It doesn't seem to have 802.11, just regular bluetooth.

Graphically it seems to be on par with the N64 while the PSP almost reaches PS2 quality.

Looks rather bulky, but it will have ports of classic N64 & downsized GC games (metroid prime). So, I'll probably buy it instead of the PSP as I already own a PS2.

I don't think the PSP should be seen as a 'competitor' for the PS2. It will be at least a year before the PSP comes out in Europs/USA. By then the PS3 rumour/fact mill will be in full swing. By the time the PSP will become mainstream (cheaper and more software) the PS3 will probably be in the shops. So it will not so much be a comparison between PS2 and PSP but between PS3 and PSP.

Graphically it seems to be on par with the N64 while the PSP almost reaches PS2 quality.

DS- ~$150
PSP- >$250

But that's the real difference, isn't it? :lol:

They're obviously competing for completely different markets... most kids can't afford a $250 handheld.

The metroid prime game and the port of Mario 64 looks realyl cool... i think i will get one if the price is aroun 150. the psp is to expensive i think, because of the hardware.
also i dont need PS2 graphic on the go, what the DS shows seems to be enough for me ;)

Esn posted on May 12 2004 at 09:37 AM said:

DS- ~$150
PSP- >$250

But that's the real difference, isn't it? :lol:

They're obviously competing for completely different markets... most kids can't afford a $250 handheld.
I somehow doubt the DS $150 price target. Nintendo keeps saying that the DS will not replace the GBA but the two of them will co-exist. But since the DS can also play GBA games the only reason I can think of why Nintendo will let the two co-exist is because there is going to be a substantial price difference. I guess the DS will be more in the $200 price range.

The DS also seems to have voice recognition. Does this mean that after overcoming the emberrasment of talking into a mobile phone in public we now have to get used to talking to our game console in public :D Mario...go left Mario...behind you Mario...duck

Edit: I am also a little dissapointed with the sceens/movies of the DS so far. When they announced the dual screen setup I could not imagine a usefull application, and up until now all the second screen is used for is for displaying a map. Surely they have more imaginative ideas for it?

VirtuaLeech posted on May 12 2004 at 09:05 AM said:
I don't think the PSP should be seen as a 'competitor' for the PS2. It will be at least a year before the PSP comes out in Europs/USA. By then the PS3 rumour/fact mill will be in full swing. By the time the PSP will become mainstream (cheaper and more software) the PS3 will probably be in the shops. So it will not so much be a comparison between PS2 and PSP but between PS3 and PSP.
Don't like quoting myself but it seem that SONY just kicked off the PS3 rumour mill according to this article.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed with the map screen. Wario ware seems to make good use of it though.

I thought that surely they'd let the screens flip All the way around like this: /\ (if you know what I mean). So you could play Chess, Advance wars, Turnbased/Realtime (almost) games head-to-head. That would have been brilliant (especially if both screens were touch-screens), ah well.

Back