A Question For Craigix

fishybawb said:
A gajabillion terabytes should cover all future requirements I reckon, with the possible exception of Windows 7...

Exobytes, my friend, Exobytes. a couple Googol of Exobytes oughta cover it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is, at the time, the quote was correct. Nobody did need more than 640KB for about 5 years or so. Of course, part of it was marketing speak too.

I still remember a salesman in Dixons saying "It's got a massive 64MB of RAM, meaning you can run multiple applications at once, and you'll never need to upgrade!" not that many years ago. I'd hate to try and run XP (and Vista, hah!) on that, but of course, the statement back then was a plentiful amount of ram.

Xmas said:
icurafu said:
Yes, SGX has the same S3TC that S3 introduced years ago. OR whatever nVidia called it after purchasing the technology. It'll be interesting to see what the creative GP32X devs can squeeze in that.
SGX530 does not support S3TC, but it supports PVRTC (4 and 2 bits per pixel) and ETC (4 bits per pixel) compressed formats.

A 512x512 texture with mipmaps needs just slightly more than 1/6 MiB when compressed to 4 bits per texel (which is ok for most textures). So you can fit ~192 of these textures into 32 MiB and leave a lot of space for other data. That seems plenty to me considering that we're talking about a handheld device with an 800x480 screen.

S3TC is still owned by S3 as far as I know. Microsoft licensed it for use with DirectX and renamed it DXTC (and now BC1-3 with DX10), but every IHV still needs a license from S3 to use it with OpenGL.

You're right, sorry. I was confusing the SGX530 and SGX535 again. :(

Thanks for the insight on what I do what access to.

I remember when nVidia brought some technologies from S3 just before being brought by VIA. I was sure, S3TC was one of them. they also brought some efficient trilinear filtering method.

Squidge said:
The problem is, at the time, the quote was correct. Nobody did need more than 640KB for about 5 years or so. Of course, part of it was marketing speak too.

I still remember a salesman in Dixons saying "It's got a massive 64MB of RAM, meaning you can run multiple applications at once, and you'll never need to upgrade!" not that many years ago. I'd hate to try and run XP (and Vista, hah!) on that, but of course, the statement back then was a plentiful amount of ram.
I ran XP on my 400MHZ Pentium III laptop with 64MB for quite a while, before the second AC adapter broke (and I stumbled upon a $25 Dell P4 laptop). :p

WarmFluffyUK said:
I bet it ran incredably slow with all that swapfile access going on.
It is fine on slow machines if you strip all the rubbish out.

We run an old 266mhz pentium with 128mb, it's a bit slow these days but I bet if I clean it out a bit again it will be fine.

I have a 266mhz pentium MMX with 192 MB of RAM, it is slow, but it is good for a php testing server with a very customly lite version of WinXP on it
It depends on what you want to run, the PSP can run N64 dumps on 32MB of RAM, and so can the GBA emulator, I am sure that the main limit here is the developer and how they optimize their code.

Since we're telling tall tales, I have a PII at 300mhz with 96mb of ram that services an average of 1000-2000 requests/day, with peaks of 10-15 reqs/min. Works great and it's never slow, but the power brick is old an fails randomly.

I got my web server testing computer for free, barebones from the school like 2 years ago, and used parts from a previously dead computer that I saved. The PSU in it has never failed me yet though. low wattage as well

Back