A Request For Know-it-all's Who Shoot Down Posts They Don't Li

chris_merris

Still Fresh
If I'm the only person that feels this way, so be it, but I am sick and tired of those who feel it is their right or duty to go around belittling and criticizing others' ideas. They go around reading posts, and shoot down the ones they dislike for whatever reason, often insulting the intelligence or motives of the person who made the post. Often, these posts are made by people very new to the scene, who are very excited.

Instead of welcoming them and the added excitement these newcomers bring, you feel it is better to berate them. And then you want to talk about "community"? Community my butt. You wouldn't know "community" if it kicked you in the balls. Community is about welcoming and encouraging - taking the good that all have to offer, and being polite when there is disagreement, or you don't see any merit in their idea. It's not about throwing your weight around, and asserting your superiority over others just because you've read more posts than they have or you have a "GP32X Guru" or "Xtreme Team" logo under your name.

Did you ever hear the phrase, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."? You don't have to be a jerk to get your point across. Even if someone has a ridiculous idea, they don't deserve to be insulted.

So that's my request: have some decency and respect for your fellow human beings. You might realize it benefits you and this "community" much more than what you're doing now.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but there are two key factors that you must understand:
1. This is the internet
2. Deal with it

I always thought the people here came across as quite polite. I don't know where all this is coming from.
Examples?

PlopperZ said:
Examples?
I'm sure it was this post in particular that instigated this thread. Though you could probably lump two out of three posts made by PoisonedV in the last couple weeks into the "Unnecessarily combative toward new members" category as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonttu said:
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but there are two key factors that you must understand:
1. This is the internet
2. Deal with it
:D

On a more serious note, there exist a few people on these boards who seem to be grumpy or outright rude quite regularly. That's no good. But I know I have at least once lashed out at an excited new member, just because I was just tired, stressed and generally pissed off. Sometimes stuff happens. Things could be said more nicely from time to time, but on average, I'd say this is one of the more friendly, polite and open boards I've been to.

Also (near) impossible ideas must be shot down quickly to not raise false hopes. We don't want anyone to feel betrayed when :pandora1: doesn't emulate PSP fullspeed, won't we?

Ouch, the community kicked me in the balls, but I did recognize it, weird.

Sorry if I offended you in particular, I do get very grumpy.

I also seem to get pissed off a lot at questions asked for the 100th time. Usually on the lines of stuff that just isn't technically or commercially feasible. (like DVI output, or DIY tablet versions. These exist, it is called the BeagleBoard, a hacker friendly PCB for $150.)

So there is my apology, I guess I should try to cut back on the rudeness and the Daily WTF right before I come here.

chris_merris said:
And then you want to talk about "community"? Community my butt. You wouldn't know "community" if it kicked you in the balls.
Sounds about right for here.

There are alot worst forums out there, unfortuantly you are always gonna get a few rude people but thats life. Always found most people on here useful and always willing to help out.

Chris,
This berating of people and down right short tempered attitudes happens every time a new console is introduced and a flooding of new people join up in this community. I can remember when the gp32 was a tiny obscure device loved by a few hundred people...once the word got out about it....and the GP2x was in the pipeline... newbies would fall in line and the VETed "short fuzed" members came out to make sure you newbies...
"Searched the forum first before Q's and A's...and "Stop double threading" so on and so on.
Its a cycle....

I don't care for the hostility either BUT.... I can honestly say there ARE A TON of other forums where the overall attitude of the community is Hostile and completely uninviting.

You'll have your few short tempered and bitchy people...but the community is few and far between that ideal.

It's tiring to read the same questions over and over again, but even when referring to older threads in which the same matters have been discussed to death, I always try to stay polite. But I can understand some people loosing their temper when they see the 5th or 6th thread about the same question created in a few days time, although they still should keep it for themselves and not spit it on the net.

If you want to ask noobz questions and don't want to get flamed, there's the "I need help" section. It's one of the most friendly and polite subforums I've found anywhere on the net. Even stupid questions are treated politely.

It is a funny thing --

It _is_ really annoying when nubies ask the same old question for the 500th time, but then again, it is what newbies do. At the same time, it is sor tof awful to say "use the search function nimrod!" since as you say, it is not very friendly. Some are nice renough to say "please use the search function, and if yo had, here are some results".. but thats putting too much work on the community.

I always thought of it as a DDOS attack; newbies come in and ask for a lot of work, since _asking is cheap_, but _answering is hard_.

For my own part, I just don't answer the newbie questions anymore; I'm super busy in real life the last couple years (baby :), so I just don't have the energy to be super helpful anymore. Some still are (they're champs!), and some just can't take it any more (which is fair in light of the above.)

In short.. I dunno; people should always be decent to each othre, but newbies generally do make work for people and expect people to stepup and help them, which isn't fair either..

jeff

Chip said:
PlopperZ said:
Examples?
I'm sure it was this post in particular that instigated this thread. Though you could probably lump two out of three posts made by PoisonedV in the last couple weeks into the "Unnecessarily combative toward new members" category as well.

Load the Ban cannon?

I dunno,

I think every non objective post by poisonedV has had me in tears, He's a funny guy.

I mean, haven't you read his disclaimer Signature? :D

skeezix said:
It is a funny thing --

It _is_ really annoying when nubies ask the same old question for the 500th time, but then again, it is what newbies do. At the same time, it is sor tof awful to say "use the search function nimrod!" since as you say, it is not very friendly. Some are nice renough to say "please use the search function, and if yo had, here are some results".. but thats putting too much work on the community.

I always thought of it as a DDOS attack; newbies come in and ask for a lot of work, since _asking is cheap_, but _answering is hard_.

For my own part, I just don't answer the newbie questions anymore; I'm super busy in real life the last couple years (baby :), so I just don't have the energy to be super helpful anymore. Some still are (they're champs!), and some just can't take it any more (which is fair in light of the above.)

In short.. I dunno; people should always be decent to each othre, but newbies generally do make work for people and expect people to stepup and help them, which isn't fair either..

jeff
Agreed, it is really tough to deal with an engineering question that has a logical solution, but comes up all the time. Especially when it is attached to a "will I be able to buy this for $50 from a shop" attitude.

I am pro DIY, but asking for $$$$ worth of dev from others gets me peeved.

Peter R said:
Chip said:
PlopperZ said:
Examples?

Load the Ban cannon?

Wow, that is unpleasant, I did apologize when I realized he was actually thinking about doing something himself instead of asking for cheap commercial modding parts.

It was a difference of outlook and opinion, exacerbated by my emotional response, for which I am sorry.

Constructionism..

I wonder, perhaps each forum should, at its top, show the appropriate 'FAQs', though we facilitate this with 'stickies.'

Perhaps it is not fair to tlel newbies to use search, but it is fair to assume they've checked the stickies.

ie: Don't flame to 'use the search', but flame lightly by saying 'see above, please'.

It is a pretty hostile forum in this regard, and it would be nicer if it were not this way; but we can't go making everyone do everyone elses work, either.

*shrug*

In that discusison its easy to summarize .. patent covers the whole swivel idea; patents also covr the hinges in question; these are moot since in DIY n oone cares; for DIY-buy-from-real-DIY it may matter, but not likely; for panda, its irrelevent since so few units sold will likely mean it won't be a DIY kit. It woudl be pretty hard to do the transformation too. The level of expertise needed to do it implies that thoswe capable already know how :)

jeff

This all comes back to the golden rule of this forum - Don't be a jerk. If you're sick of answering redundant questions and can't do so in a civil manner, then don't respond at all. Somebody else will. There are still people here who try to do things the right way, so just let them take care of it. Anybody who insists on belittling new users after repeated warnings to behave themselves will get banned.

And before anybody starts crying about their opinions being censored, I'd like to point out that being an asshole is not an "opinion" - It is a character flaw. Whether you are proud of your inability to act like a grownup or not, you will still be held accountable for it. There are exactly three options available to you: Be nice, be quiet, or be gone.

Back