A slight change over at GP2x.co.kr

I like GPH button design.
The in-game representation of there four action keys made by directed key-figure will be neat for ingame tutorials.
Like (but with scaled down key character)
............_.....................................
........../##\...................................
PRESS.| X | TO DROP ENEMY CORPSE.
.........|___|..................................

Yeah, I also like the new design. It's a good compromise between the original d-pad und the standard button design.
The unique style of the handheld stays the same.

Regards,
Stephan

jaycee900 said:
Oh dear....seems like a lot of people were hoping on a complete change i.e circular buttons not just split the dodgy d-pad design up, round buttons are more natural to the touch and having this weird design will only make you keep looking to see if you are pressing the actual right button....i might had picked one up early next year but now I've seen the 'redesign' won't be doing so now....nice one GPH!
I have held a wiz with old dpad. If it was replaced with circular buttons they would be so tiny it would be ridiculous.

quasist said:
I like GPH button design.
The in-game representation of there four action keys made by directed key-figure will be neat for ingame tutorials.
Like (but with scaled down key character)
............_.....................................
........../##\...................................
PRESS.| X | TO DROP ENEMY CORPSE.
.........|___|..................................
They could redesign the Wiz to have some potpourri in place of the screen and you'd still like it. :rolleyes:

I've got nothing against the shape itself. In fact, it keeps it nice and symmetrical. GPH has still passed their "it looks cool" test. However, they've only somewhat raised the functionality bar. Multiple button presses will certainly be easier now, but the recessed center? Why? It's just going to make things more difficult.

And Peter, I'll take your word for now about the buttons being too small if they were rounded, simply because you have a Wiz and more experience with it than many of us here. But really, there's absolutely no room for round buttons? Just by looking at the pictures, I'd guess round ones would have just as much surface area as these funky split d-pad ones would, so what would the big deal be?

@PoisonedV

This is the Wiz forum. You surely accidentally posted here.

If not: Stop to provoke or try to split the community

[Edit:]

Just saw you ridiculous avatar. I'm sorry for taking you serious...

<ignore>

@PoisonedV: I want a wiz, not a Pandora. Too big a bulky for me. I want it to just play games and listen to music. The Pandora is overpriced for my budget (Yea, i know someones gonna say that I will get what I pay for, but I don't have enough money for the extra features the pandora has)

VapourTemp said:
...Yea, i know someones gonna say that I will get what I pay for...

Well, you get what you pay for. :)

Just kidding. I think that the Wiz will be a good choice for anyone who wants a small, capable handheld to play (mostly emulated) games.

I'm actually kind of surprise how much of a negative backlash the second d-pad received. It's not like it's a real d-pad or anything. It's still four buttons.

Frogboy said:
It's not like it's a real d-pad or anything. It's still four buttons.
It's four buttons now. When the first Wiz devs got their beta units, it was an honest-to-god, single-piece-of-plastic d-pad. There was (understandably) a lot of blowback over it, especially when ED said he couldn't even get through one level of Super Mario Brothers. It took all of that negative feedback, plus ED convincing the GPH reps in person, to get them to change the design.

Now that it really is four buttons, the issue is moot. That the buttons still look like a d-pad shouldn't affect gameplay much, if at all. The whole reason you make pre-production beta units is to find problems like this and fix them before you start production. Once the problem was made clear, GPH did exactly the right thing and fixed it. I'm not sure why people keep bringing it up as a "negative" point.

Peter R said:
PoisonedV said:
Well, to me, Chip, it shows how TOTALLY oblivious they are.
You provide no basis for your argument.

"GPH have fixed an issue therefore they are useless"

How does that viewpoint work in your mind?
The fact that they would release it in the first place. I don't see how it would be any more beneficial or detracting to their media player market, but it would detract from the western market, so why put it in?

I agree with PoisonedV. I appreciate the fact that they fixed it, but that was out of necessity, the product would've bombed if they didn't. The issue I have is now that they did fix it, they've only gone halfway. The buttons are still awkward in shape with a recessed center and, for all we know, may not be individual buttons at all, but a PSX-like d-pad. It would ease a lot of minds for GPH to come out with a video or something to show everyone how the new controls will function and give us a glimpse of the "better" GUI they announced on their site, but we know they won't.

Still looks usable to me. A lot better than the gaming PMPs that someone on a similar budget would buy. I agree with chronotrigger and will wait for some people to report back on the dayto day usability (Not SF2 combos) before grabbing one.

I'm sure it will have a lot of great software besides emulators, such as most things already created for GP2X.

I notice that both side of the fence have fanboi trolls now.

icurafu said:
Still looks usable to me. A lot better than the gaming PMPs that someone on a similar budget would buy. I agree with chronotrigger and will wait for some people to report back on the dayto day usability (Not SF2 combos) before grabbing one.

I'm sure it will have a lot of great software besides emulators, such as most things already created for GP2X.

They always have, however there is a difference between being a fanboy troll and being reasonable. Calling gph out for putting the dumb dpad's on there into the first place falls into the latter category

PoisonedV said:
icurafu said:

They always have, however there is a difference between being a fanboy troll and being reasonable. Calling gph out for putting the dumb dpad's on there into the first place falls into the latter category
No, you are just overly agressive in everyway. Not just pertaining to the Wiz/Pandora debates. I think you need to seek help. Some form of anger management or something.

Hey, you know, I was thinking the same thing about you. funny stuff, huh?

Back