About Beat2x And That Dwi2bxe Converter...

Quiest

I like turtles!
First, I really love Beat2X but I would like to enjoy more packs and now there is this dwi2bxe converter thingie in the file archive, and I didn`t see a post about it.

What exactly are Stepmania DWI files? And where can I get them?

Thanks ^^

Stepmania is a DDR simulator that uses DWI files for step patterns. You can get a lot of them at www.bemanistyle.com under the simfile section.

Quiest posted on Mar 9 2006 at 01:17 AM said:
First at I really love Beat2X but I would like to enjoy more packs and now there is this dwi2bxe converter thingie in the file archive, and I didn`t see a post about it.

What exactly are Stepmania DWI files? And where can I get them?
That's really cool!!! Has anyone tried it? Please, leave some feedback.

And thanks Furrtek! There's a lot of people asking for Beat2X to support StepMania files, so it will save me a lot of work. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
also DDRUK.com They have lots of DWI files.

EDIT: Yes I have tried it.. and atm it is only reliably working with simple DWI files.
They must have a constant BPM and no Stops.

EDIT2: It must be noted that it only converts the BASIC difficulty, set of steps atm.

Furrtek gave the impression that some of this nuances will be worked on. :)

miq01, have you ever though about making an option to rotate the screen in Beat2x so the arrows scroll downward toward the action buttons? That would make it easier to play DWI-converted files since they only use the 4 direction buttons.

JaqMs posted on Mar 9 2006 at 01:46 AM said:
miq01, have you ever though about making an option to rotate the screen in Beat2x so the arrows scroll downward toward the action buttons? That would make it easier to play DWI-converted files since they only use the 4 direction buttons.
But then the artwork would have to be completely reworked, and the game would lose the option of letting the user press L and R (and the first two packs wouldn't work!). I don't see it feasible in short term.

miq01. I have a really cool suggestion, but it may never happen. Iv'e seen some USB to Serial port hacks somewhere, and wonder if a usb ddr pad hookup would ever be possible (probably not, nut just wondering). Keep up the good work guys. Im working on a 10 song pack right now, so I hope to release it soon. miq01, your auto button clicker program would really help, is there a way you could PM it to me or something?

PSyMastR posted on Mar 9 2006 at 02:03 AM said:
miq01. I have a really cool suggestion, but it may never happen. Iv'e seen some USB to Serial port hacks somewhere, and wonder if a usb ddr pad hookup would ever be possible (probably not, nut just wondering).
I'm not much into hardware, so I can't answer your question. But it'd be so nice to use a ddr pad while GP2X is connected to the TV...

Im working on a 10 song pack right now, so I hope to release it soon.
Yyyyyyes!!! Hope you mean "really soon". Can't wait... :)

miq01, your auto button clicker program would really help, is there a way you could PM it to me or something?
My auto button clicker program? :blink: Don't remember to have done that... What do you mean?

The program you started making that you can manually click a button on the PC if you click along with the song. You were talking about it in another thread.

miq01. I have a really cool suggestion, but it may never happen. Iv'e seen some USB to Serial port hacks somewhere, and wonder if a usb ddr pad hookup would ever be possible (probably not, nut just wondering).
One thing i'm sure is that there is gamecon driver built in newer linux kernels
since 2.6.9 it's only the matter of "modprobe gamecon gc=0,8" and in older kernels, there is ddrmat. Unfortunately they are PSX->LPT drivers, so it's not much of a help.
Anyway, what's the most important is that ddr mat is nothing else than modified PSX controler. I don't know how is it with generic PC mats (i don't use them). Anyway, if we find a suitable usb joystick driver then it should work. One more thing. In DDR mat all the directions are interpretted as buttons, do what we need is like 14-button joystick driver...damn i miss LPT in gp2x :lol:

miq01 you're welcome! I really like your game, it just lacked some classic sm songs ;)

I'm getting dwi2bxe to work with BPM changes, pauses. I'm also adding a selector to choose between SMANIAC, MANIAC, BASIC, BEGINNER, ANOTHER and support for the L /R buttons with SOLOs.

The ddr pad on the serial port is a great idea, hope it can be possible!

kardasan posted on Mar 9 2006 at 08:06 AM said:
One thing i'm sure is that there is gamecon driver built in newer linux kernels
since 2.6.9 it's only the matter of "modprobe gamecon gc=0,8" and in older kernels, there is ddrmat. Unfortunately they are PSX->LPT drivers, so it's not much of a help.
Anyway, what's the most important is that ddr mat is nothing else than modified PSX controler. I don't know how is it with generic PC mats (i don't use them). Anyway, if we find a suitable usb joystick driver then it should work. One more thing. In DDR mat all the directions are interpretted as buttons, do what we need is like 14-button joystick driver...damn i miss LPT in gp2x :lol:

Most people that play StepMania, usually just have a PSX controller USB convertor. Although some mats do come with LPT & USB & PSX connections

furrtek posted on Mar 9 2006 at 10:49 AM said:
miq01 you're welcome! I really like your game, it just lacked some classic sm songs ;)

I'm getting dwi2bxe to work with BPM changes, pauses. I'm also adding a selector to choose between SMANIAC, MANIAC, BASIC, BEGINNER, ANOTHER and support for the L /R buttons with SOLOs.

The ddr pad on the serial port is a great idea, hope it can be possible!
Excellent! Like I said before; Solo steps are ideal for the button layout for Beat2X :)

Quiest posted on Mar 9 2006 at 11:13 AM said:
Please, anyone whos converting those dwi files, put them in the filearchive when done :)
I would have done... although I haven't had much success with the convertor. I'll try some more at some point today.
Although, is it ok for these files to go in the archive, as most DWIs are either made using commercial songs, or music from the official DDR (and other) music games?

PSyMastR posted on Mar 9 2006 at 05:18 AM said:
The program you started making that you can manually click a button on the PC if you click along with the song. You were talking about it in another thread.
Still don't know what you're talking about. Maybe it's because my English is not good enough and you said something I misunderstood, or I said something you misunderstood. :) Can't you point me to that thread?

furrtek posted on Mar 9 2006 at 12:49 PM said:
That's great news!

PokeParadox posted on Mar 9 2006 at 01:32 PM said:
I would have done... although I haven't had much success with the convertor. I'll try some more at some point today.
Although, is it ok for these files to go in the archive, as most DWIs are either made using commercial songs, or music from the official DDR (and other) music games?
I haven't tried it either. But remember that newlines inside the text files must be converted into LF instead of CR+LF.

But, anyway, yes, as soon as somebody gets a song from StepMania working on Beat2X I'd be happy to test it.

miq01 posted on Mar 9 2006 at 01:40 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on Mar 9 2006 at 05:18 AM said:
Still don't know what you're talking about. Maybe it's because my English is not good enough and you said something I misunderstood, or I said something you misunderstood. :) Can't you point me to that thread?

I don't remember which thread, but you did mention you had started work on an editor for Beat2X. I think he's referring to that. I have an idea of how an editor could be made... I just don't currently have the time to code it... lol. It would be in OGL too as I haven't worked with any other graphics libs >_>

PokeParadox posted on Mar 9 2006 at 04:46 PM said:
I don't remember which thread, but you did mention you had started work on an editor for Beat2X. I think he's referring to that.
Ok. Now I understand... :) Yes, it's a really simple (because it lacks of all the features it should have) editor for Windows (and probably Linux) but it's far from being finished and usable.

furrtek posted on Mar 9 2006 at 04:31 PM said:
Great! Are you planning to add more songs apart from this one to create a pack? I say this because I've created a pack with just this song. Btw, is this song free of copyright?

I don't know if this one is copyrighted or not, i don't have the original smzip.
And I won't make any packs since i'm not very good for that ;)

I'll post the new dwi2bxe tonight so others can make them a little easier.

Well Celebrate Nite, is an Official DDR song. I would hazard a guess that it's not free of Copyright.

I know DDRUK distribute Official DDR songs, and Konami know about this. But I'm guessing it's fair use, and Konami aren't as bothered as they also sell DDR Games.

*shrug*

Back