About Gp32 'speed'

Totoro

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I ordered GP32 BLU from lik-sang, and started wondering.
It says on the product features section: (at lik-sang.com site)

- Up to 166 MHz Clock Speed out-of-the-box

Uh what the..? It's 166MHz or what..? The CPU speed comes randomized or wtf :p ?

"up to.." Is it 166 or not? <_<

*feels really confused*

in some applications (for exaxple emulators) you can choose your clockspeed (overclocking, and btw no its not risky, it 100% wont screw up your gp32). the fsater the speed the faster the games run.

some gp32 cant do 166mhz out of the box and they will freeze or reset your gp32 when going this far.
lik-sangs gp32 blu, however, can all reach at least 166mhz.

Uh... Misses 6Mhz, oh dear :p
Does it count? Or does it cause any problems?

Edit #1: problems == freezes
So does it freeze because of that? :eek:

it counts a bit in for example snes emulation maybe, but i dont think its too~ much difference. my gp32-nonlit (you know, the first model ever) can only reach 156mhz and 160mhz for about 30min. and i can live with it for now (until 200mhz emulators pop up).

for gp32 blus i think the chance of getting a 166mhz model is like 90%, squidge had some bad luck.

Totoro posted on Aug 23 2004 at 07:53 PM said:
Uh... Misses 6Mhz at oh dear :p
Does it count? Or does it cause any problems?
no it's not really a problem... 6Mhz change near nothing in term of performances... but immagine if you get a bad luck & got only a 133Mhz... then you got exactly the minimum possible!
they said "up to" because it's totaly random... & luck ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
??? the normal speed (everytime) is up to 133mhz (is that right? if not i'm verry sorry) B)
your gp32 can reach 166 mhz. but you can just use it with programms, that are using 166mhz. e.g. some emus!!! snes: os9xgp genesis: fgen32.
There you can chose the clock speed. try 166mhz. it should work with your gp32!!
if it not, your gp32 will hang-up oneself. but thats not a problem for i thing. ;)

This is some scary stuff.

So, how do I know how fast it runs? Is there some sort of button sequence to press, some sort of debug mode to see it or what?

oh that was already posted!!!!!!! :p
i was too late...... :blink:

hey 160 is a good speed. i can just reach 156mhz
but in os9xgpv.0.2 i can reach 160mhz!!!!!!!!!! ???? but in v.0.3 just 156mhz :(

Totoro posted on Aug 23 2004 at 07:59 PM said:
This is some scary stuff.

So, how do I know how fast it runs? Is there some sort of button sequence to press or some sort of debug mode to see it or what?
no, no, nothing like that :)

simply download an emu like GPEngine for exemple & change in the setting the clock speed, then if everything goes fine in game with higher speed you'll be able to consider that you can reach this speed :)

I had 3 different GP32 and I can tell you that it really depend on the apps you're using...

usually if you cannot use this speed, your gp32 will reset after few seconds ;) or freeze during the game or such bad things ;)

Ah ok, got that.

Well now I only need to wait, like... uh one, two or even three weeks for my baby GP32 to arrive.

You'll be seeing lot of me on this forum.

Don't forget that a lot of stuff doesn't even run as high as 133mhz. A lot of games run around 33/40mhz, and things like mp3/ogg players are often 66mhz.

abc_Keks posted on Aug 23 2004 at 08:04 PM said:
hey Tidus haven't i said this too??? i think so. :lol:
LOL yeah we've post in same time, I wasn't able to see your comments, but you're right you said that too :lol: sorry ^^

woogal posted on Aug 23 2004 at 10:10 PM said:
and things like mp3/ogg players are often 66mhz.
As for OggVorbis I can tell that's a myth. From my tests I can tell that you can't play a 44100Hz/stereo with anything below 100MHz, and even there is the danger of drop outs. For stable play you should go for 133MHz, or better 136MHz, since that will bring you closer to the 44100Hz playback frequency.

Greetings,
SvOlli

Totoro posted on Aug 24 2004 at 05:50 AM said:
Hmm does GBAX.com supply stuff all over the world?
Yes, but they are horribly expensive. Same BLU order from lik-sang w/ faster shipping, too was ~100 EUR cheaper. But they have good service and you get guarenteed 166MhZ.

To see how high your gp32 can overclock you can use a overclock tester.
But not all testers are good, some will go higher than your gp32 really can.

Back