About The Mk3 Board

nikkopt

So, i just read a post by evildragon, mentioning a MK3 board.

Apart from resolving things like this:

nicebridge.jpg

what major (and minor) changes will we expect?
new features? (like the battery one)
change of components? (not referring to the omap/twl)
change of pcb color? (to black? :p )

anything relevant? or just a resistor here and a diode there?

nikkopt said:
So, i just read a post by evildragon, mentioning a MK3 board.

Apart from resolving things like this:

nicebridge.jpg

what major (and minor) changes will we expect?
new features? (like the battery one)
change of components? (not referring to the omap/twl)
change of pcb color? (to black? :p )

anything relevant? or just a resistor here and a diode there?
Basically, only some tweaks and fixes (like the battery one).
Nothing major, it stays compatible with MK2 hardware.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Sanx :D

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
Pardon my ignorance, what battery fix are we talking about. I didn't know there was an issue. :huh:

skeezix said:
(So device can run when no battery physically present, IIRC)

Yes, it was only brought up by developers who want to chain the Pandora to a local power supply whilst writing/testing there apps instead of running from battery all the time.

Squidge said:
skeezix said:
(So device can run when no battery physically present, IIRC)

Yes, it was only brought up by developers who want to chain the Pandora to a local power supply whilst writing/testing there apps instead of running from battery all the time.

Well it's not really that, I had to perform this hack manually on my board. Nothing really important either.

It's a valid request even if you aren't a developer. You can have it plugged into the wall and it will weigh less being battery-less.

anexanhume said:
It's a valid request even if you aren't a developer. You can have it plugged into the wall and it will weigh less being battery-less.
Not to mention those first "hacker versions" lacking a battery ;)

Tinnus said:
anexanhume said:

Don't you have some psx4pandora coding to do :p

Tinnus said:

Those first hacker version actually had a battery with them I believe, and they worked fine until the battery ran flat and no one knew how to charge them :)

And of course there was less batteries than dev boards kicking around, so connecting a power supply to the battery input was the next step (although the power supply had to be quite accurate if I remember correctly).

I think the latest boards use the DC input jack however, and so are more tolerant of voltage (just throw 5V at it, and it's fine).

If I remember correctly, the difference between it not working and working what the value of a single component. We can't even blame it on Michael either, which is a shame ;)

Squidge said:
I think the latest boards use the DC input jack however, and so are more tolerant of voltage (just throw 5V at it, and it's fine).
Aren't most multi voltage power adapters have options only to change voltage in 1.5 v increments?
Wouldn't that force us to choose between 4.5v and 6v? :huh:

sehs33 said:
Aren't most multi voltage power adapters have options only to change voltage in 1.5 v increments?

No, as the final Pandora comes with a 5V power supply :)

Squidge said:
sehs33 said:

No, as the final Pandora comes with a 5V power supply :)

Great news. Things just keep on getting better. Just out of interest will this be a uk power adapter (for orders in the uk) or will it be like a generic one with a multi region adapter plate? Will it come in the same box as the pandora or will it be seperate?

After all the hassle of the GP2X' power-regulator not functioning properly, this gives me a little concern to be honest. I have 3 GP2X's, none of them are useful any more because the power-regulator has been 'burned out' by using the GP2X without having a battery installed.

So I hope this issue is fully tested and sorted on Pandora. I know the same hardware guys were not used for the two different projects, but it is one of those things that I think is pretty easily overlooked during testing. Please, don't give us Pandora's who can't manage their power supplies...

torpor said:
After all the hassle of the GP2X' power-regulator not functioning properly, this gives me a little concern to be honest. I have 3 GP2X's, none of them are useful any more because the power-regulator has been 'burned out' by using the GP2X without having a battery installed.

Huh? Thats normally only caused by el-cheapo power supplies which are not regulated. The Pandora one will of course be fully regulated (and if you lose it, you can use the one from a PSP or similar)

Back