About Vmware...

trypsp

Still Fresh
Will run vmware pandora?

ws3_large4.gif

Bye!! ;)

I believe virtualization has been discussed, and the conclusion reached was that while it will run (not necessarily vmware specifically), it will be far too slow to do anything useful.

No. Vmware does virtualisation, which assumes both the host and guest cpus are the same architecture (x86).

In order to run windows, a virtual machine that does ARM emulation would be needed. And it's not feasible.

CandidStan said:
"Will run vmware pandora?"

failed English has someone?
Enough of that. Pandora is an international project and these are international forums. English may be the language of choice on these forums, but English is not the primary (or even secondary) language of many forum members. As long as someone can get the gist of their question across, we'll answer it.

This particular question has already been pretty well answered. VMware, in addition to being a commercial closed source product, will not work on any ARM platform. The only way to run an x86 compiled OS or program on the Pandora is through full emulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming this was a legit question - is the OP asking if VMWare will run on the Pandora - or if VMWare will run the Pandora OS?

Does it matter which way around? There's no way this would run on the Pandora, and I don't think that VMWare does any virtualization of non x86 and x84_64 architectures.

And I doubt it would have enough strength. You can get it to run XP on the PS3; but since it is on a PPC and not an x86: it is REALLY slow.. and I mean REALLY

CandidStan said:
"Will run vmware pandora?"

failed English has someone?

Soy español y no domino mucho el inglés,gracias por las respuestas,aunque ahora dudo seriamente comprarme una pandora,si no rula el vmware.
Salu2 ;)

trypsp said:
Soy español y no domino mucho el inglés,gracias por las respuestas,aunque ahora dudo seriamente comprarme una pandora,si no rula el vmware.
Salu2 ;)
Nice return volley, that. ;)

Sadly, in response to your initial question, as others have indicated, it will not run VMWare- the CPU types are completely different. The only way to get x86 ability is to run in emulation, which on this platform, at peak (which isn't going to be easy to accomplish...), will be only about at a low-end 386 level of performance.

Then the only possibility would be with bochs?that allows to emulate x86 in an ARM

bye!! ;)

trypsp said:
Then the only possibility would be with bochs?that allows to emulate x86 in an ARM

bye!! ;)
Bochs or DOSBox. DOSBox is the faster of the two and the most likely to be ported in short order. In fact, I believe Pickle is already working on it.

trypsp said:

bye!! ;)
Depends on your requirements. If you're trying to run DOS emulated games, DOSBox is the front-runner, as it's likely to have sufficient performance through cutting a few corners here and there. If you're needing something along the lines of Win95, you're likely to be very disappointed, but the better choice of the two choices in that space would be QEMU, which is a higher performing x86 emulator.

Tinnus said:
rdesktop would work though :)
I think he's looking to emulate something that'll run Win32 apps in it. I only wish we had quite that kind of muscle- be a quantum leap even beyond what we're going to get to play with in the handheld space.

They got Win95 with playable Minesweeper working on PSP iirc, though it was very slow to boot up...

Not slower than the old Packard Bell computer I had a long time ago.

Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
They got Win95 with playable Minesweeper working on PSP iirc, though it was very slow to boot up...

Not slower than the old Packard Bell computer I had a long time ago.
Though it is possible to boot win95 on a PSP, nothing about it is "playable". The boot time with bochs is 20-30min and it plods along at ~1fps with no programs running. If you are incredibly patient, you can open up minesweeper or solitaire and technically you could play a game - If you were willing to wait several seconds between when you moved the mouse and the pointer actually showing up somewhere else on the screen. There were some attempts to run win95 under DOSBox as well, and they went better than Bochs. Still, it was too slow by a factor of ten to actually do anything.

Windows on the PSP was nothing more than a clever proof of concept.

Windows on the Pandora won't be a whole lot better. Since we will have a DOSBox port, sooner or later somebody will load windows on it. It may even be fast enough to play a halfway decent game of minesweeper, but we're still talking single-digit framerates. Do not plan on running any programs under windows in any useful manner.

Back