Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

l3ooqsxbxrp51.jpg

Last edited:
Microsoft Excel - One millions rows should be enough for....

The Excel spreadsheet reached its maximum file size, which stopped new names being added in an automated process, the PA news agency understands.
The files have now been split into smaller multiple files to prevent the issue happening again.

So.. yeah. Why not CSV or XML? Who knows!

I compared MS Excel with LibreOffice, and they both still only offer only one million rows.

Excel Total number of rows and columns on a worksheet: 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns

LibreOffice same:
  • Maximum number of Columns per worksheet = 1024 (Col A to AMJ).
  • Maximum number of Rows per worksheet = 1,048,576 (2^20).
gnumeric.h does not go above 65536 rows :( but you can edit the constants and recompile your own version to have them:

Lines 8 and 9 of this file are:
#define SHEET_MAX_ROWS (16*16*16*16) /* 0, 1, ... */
#define SHEET_MAX_COLS (4*4*4*4) /* 0, 1, ... */

Google spreadsheet can lower the amount of columns to get more rows
Having 14 columns (A-M), the maximum row is 142 857, which is a total of 1 999 998 cells. cute.

Others I checked: Quattro Pro 2020 (could not find the data)

Indeed. Why not a database? Or even a plain csv, or even as you suggest XML. Spreadsheets are for when you need live calculations on your data, and if you've more than a million lines of data setting one cell to be the multiplication of two other cells could be quite slow. But if you don't need that and all you actually need is being able to count rows, and you like the familarity of applications, make yourself familiar with a database.

In other news, I've just learned why Libreoffice always wants me to install Java. You can't make a new database in LibreOffice Base without java, at least you can make one but you can't add any data to it.

What is funny or Absurbism on this Picture ? 250,00 Dollar/Euro/Lira/Yen/Pounts/Deutsche Mark ??
Sorry if i have to ask, im not that good in English

Back