Action button labels: poll 3 (final poll?)

Which of these options are acceptable to you?

• Total voters

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
If you followed the previous threads, you'll know about the proposals by now.

Option 1 is to keep the Pandora layout and add two buttons to that, e.g. like this:

C  Y 
A      B
Z  X

Option 2 is to switch to Greek letters (Pi, Delta, Omega, Chi plus two more), e.g. like this:

ψ       Δ

Π          Ω

γ        χ

Option 3 is a combination of both, e.g. like this:

pyra_buttons.png

I think that leaving out the small x on G1 Looks like a production error. Furthermore, PgDown is commonly abbreviated as PgDn, not PgDown (look at your numpad).

Last edited by a moderator:
Options 2 & 3 are the same thing. Poll creator's preference (Greek) as the primary symbol on #3 makes it the same freekin' mess (only worse) as #2.

Again - the Greek/Playstation fanboys didn't like the results so here we go again.

I also voted for option 3 ....but the text is really visible on relatively small buttons ??

Just to be clear - you REALLY want the project to have the added expense of individually painting (color) each of the keys a different color? That paint is going to chip/wear/look like hell with use.

Look at them - some have FOUR colors on ONE key - the paint costs would be insane.

Again - the Greek/Playstation fanboys didn't like the results so here we go again.
Grench, are you physically incapable of reading from the page? Or are you just being a dick for fun? This poll was implied from the beginning of the 2nd poll - It can't really come as a surprise for you now, can it? The point of the second poll was to weedle down the options, through a system of preferential voting where unranked options where folded into the next prefered alternative and so on, in order to present the most popular options in the "final round", so to speak. Did you really not understand that?

Just to be clear - you REALLY want the project to have the added expense of individually painting (color) each of the keys a different color? That paint is going to chip/wear/look like hell with use.
At least some of the labels will have to be printed on the case, I suspect. At least that makes sense in my head for the pgdn/etc. logos, and possibly the Pandora-equivalent buttons if needed.

AFAIK using colours has never had significant success in these polls, so I'm not sure why it's still in the prototype designs, except to stop the few who really want it moaning.

Grench, are you physically incapable of reading from the page? Or are you just being a dick for fun? This poll was implied from the beginning of the 2nd poll - It can't really come as a surprise for you now, can it? The point of the second poll was to weedle down the options, through a system of preferential voting where unranked options where folded into the next prefered alternative and so on, in order to present the most popular options in the "final round", so to speak. Did you really not understand that?
Look again please.

Option #3 above did not even exist in the 2nd poll options.

The post that started the 2nd poll stated:

"In the previous poll there were too many variants, which caused it to be hard to vote. Here are the generalized proposals, please rank all 5 of them from best to worst:"

Nowhere in there was an implied requirement for yet another poll.

Instead of 'wheedling down the options', we now have the winner (Pandora+Z&C) with an old challenger (Greek mess) and a new and completely non-viable challenger (Big Greek mess in Color with other options sketched in).

The Greek fans seem to be trying to 'win' by alienation, abuse, reiteration and poll exhaustion.

And I'm a dick for calling it as it is? You're welcome to your opinion, but can we get off of the name calling?

ED's chat statements should have been the nail in the Greek letters coffin and ended the debate.

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15869-action-button-labels-poll-2-bis/?p=323440

Instead it was a prompt for yet another poll (New Thread & Distraction) and yet another Greek option (Now in COLOR!).

ED has it 100% right.

If you do read what is said in the thread, instead of complaining loudly and going "LALALALALA", you will see that it is discussed, both in that first poll (with "too many alternatives", where how a good poll might be constructed) and further on in the thread of the second poll. You cannot honestly have missed that??? Really? That there is a need for preferential voting, and how votes can be folded over from the preferred alternative to the second best and so on? Come on...

So that's why you keep complaining so loudly all the time? Because you can't be bothered to actually read and understand? Well, that's dickish, in my eyes, when others are actually making an effort to get everybodys voice to be heard and all that.

Sorry if this is already discussed,

What is the reason to not have, simple, regular 6 pack layout (2 rows 3 buttons each) ie SEGA Genesis or Saturn controller ???

Are you trying to reinvent the hot water with this layout ? Yes?

I prefer the regular, clean 4 pack SNES layout, then any of those above.

don't care about the labels, 

The reason is that there is not room for that. The buttons won't fit in the available space.

Well,

Lets keep it simple then. If the room only allows 4 buttons, there is no need to put more.

Those extra buttons will be always pressed accidentally. Thats why, controller with this design does not exist on this planet.

Nintendo, SEGA, Sony, and MS, alredy invented the hot water for us, many years ago...

:)

I thought it would be widen enough to fit.

A shame that the simple  

Z
    Y       C  

X      B
    A 

didn't  make it.

I guess

Y       2
A     B
    X

will have to do.

Er no. ED's currently thinking that there's no space for anything to the right of B, so the plan is two buttons above and below A.

Personally I think that looks bizarre, and expect it to be a little hard to get used to, but at least it's 6 buttons still. Personally I'd hope there was space for a button to the right of Y and above B, so:

Y Z
A    B
C X

But as I understand it, that's one of the PCB anchor points (or at least it is on Pandora), so you simply can't have a button there.

On another note, it's a shame the IP board software doesn't display percentages where there people can select multiple options as a percentage of users, rather than a percentage of votes.  Currently 16 out of 33 people voted that Greek PS-like was okay, which means just under 50% of people would be okay with that if the majority (and ED) wanted it, yet the board shows it as 29% of votes.

Not sure how wider it would be, but perhaps all buttons could be push inward.

The poll is biased since options 2 and 3 are very much the same thing - so you are actually giving statistically more weight to the same choice/direction/design. 

Back