Action button labels: poll 3 (final poll?)

Which of these options are acceptable to you?

• Total voters

BTW, I just noticed Unicode has, in addition to many other nice things like greek alphabet, these: Ⓐ Ⓑ Ⓧ Ⓨ Ⓒ Ⓩ.
I see nothing but squares. They may be in unicode but that doesn't guarantee they'll be available in every font, nor even the same font across different systems.
Great, we found a new "solution" with even less support in fonts than greek letters! XD
What do the opponents of Greek letters think about this?
I dislike this idea even more than greek letters...Are you really serious?

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I just noticed Unicode has, in addition to many other nice things like greek alphabet, these: Ⓐ Ⓑ Ⓧ Ⓨ Ⓒ Ⓩ.
I see nothing but squares. They may be in unicode but that doesn't guarantee they'll be available in every font, nor even the same font across different systems.
This is true :(

New plan: everyone gets more complete fonts to use :D

Seriously guys, how long do you want to continue discussing such minor stuff like ordinary button labeling? If you can fill hundreds of pages with that, what happens when it comes to real major decissions of the Pyra development? An entire Forum about one theme? :rolleyes:

Just let ED decide and it will be good. Afaik he already sayed that there will be no greek letters or other weird things you discuss since weeks here. It will be likely that the Pandora layout is choosen, which is simply logical for an successor device, not only for compatibility reasons.

...what happens when it comes to real major decissions of the Pyra development? ...

Just let ED decide and it will be good. Afaik he already sayed that there will be no greek letters or other weird things you discuss since weeks here. It will be likely that the Pandora layout is choosen, which is simply logical for an successor device, not only for compatibility reasons.
Agreed. The Pyra's development decisions have always been up to EvilDragon. We're just along for the ride really. :)   

Truthfully, we'll end up with plain Pandora ABYX, and presumably safe, predictable choices c and z for the smaller buttons. No added flair.

What do the opponents of Greek letters think about this?
No.

If you really must have reasons to link the buttons to some historical context... Greek numerology to the rescue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology

A,B,C ~ a,b,c ~ a^2+b^2=c^2 which is the common written form of a formula invented by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagoras

X,Y,Z is the Cartesian coordinate system used for representing position in three dimensions. Actually stems from the French mathematician Descartes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_coordinate_system

Latin letters on the Pyra's keypad aren't 'weird'. They're math - and as such include an homage to the Greeks already.

Latin letters partisan are like:

140314052755322649.png

I do agree a bit, though. It shares the positive of being "neat" with most of the symbol ones (at least the not-horrendous ones), but it has all the negatives (difficult to associate to, unknown, difficult to write/describe, and so on) without the positives of being classical, or thematically associated, or geeky.

I'm kind of with thinkpad here, I'd rather have only 4 face buttons than some thrown together space constricted 6 button configuration. We have 4 shoulder buttons and to me that's a fine upgrade from the Pandora.

So I guess my question is if these two additional buttons are slightly smaller, how much smaller, are they inline with A button or slightly staggered? Will these 2 buttons not interfere in the arc of moving from A to Y or A to X? 
Me too. If the 6 buttons can not be 2 rows of 3, then I'd rather have 4 buttons.

I am truly amazed at the quality of the constructive feedback you guys have. Such interesting and compelling argumentation! Please continue!
Hey, I thought you were asking if we liked it or not, not why. I think anything that relies on very unusual symbols is a bad idea for what I thought were obvious reasons. This doesn't even have the pretense of unicode labeling. It's very hard to get people to tie a description of an abstract thing with some symbol, especially if there's nothing standard; in this case you'd have a hard time even getting everyone to use the same names.

Plus I think you've gone way off the deep end trying to find something vaguely Greek themed...

I didn't make this, nor do I particularly care for it's particular style, but I like wb's elemental theme.

Wind (air) could be a tornado shape, and water could be a water droplet, shadow a crecent moon shape, and maybe little planet earth icon or a leaf for earth. It's also *naturally* color coded for an additional level of identification, could also be shorthanded into (F)ire,(W)ater,(E)arth,(A)ir,(L)ight,(D)ark or (S)hadow

abxy could be the main 4 elements and the 2 new buttons could be light and dark

The_Six_Elements_by_HotSpot6.png

I'm still very much in favor of abcxyz, but if things *were* to change for an alternate system, maybe this would be neat. 

EDIT: I'm not a supporter of Latin characters exactly, just against Greek, Latin just seemed like a good system because of common reference, this also has a common reference though.

"press water" :lol:

Let's take elements so that you could chose your pokemon easily.

Seriously, it's better than latin letters but by far worse than Greek letter

I am truly amazed at the quality of the constructive feedback you guys have. Such interesting and compelling argumentation! Please continue!
Sorry, but after these sheer ammount of endless discussions and argument fights that still have no result, I guess we have one rant free per user. ;)

Seriously, it's better than latin letters but by far worse than Greek letter
Well I don't know, it even goes with the style as well. Not so much in the greek pandora theme, but rather the (evil)dragon(box) theme. Elemental dragons are quite often used in games and stories.

I understand. But Greek letters are a real alphabet so it's neutral not like water/wind... when you say "press water" it sound weird because there isn't water.

What is awesome with Greek letter is that they are at the same time an alphabet, so they are neutral and also 2D shape so that they are easier to memorise and it make operates imagination better than latin letters. Greek letters have at the same time Latin alphabet advantages and triangle/square/circle/cross advantages.

The change in symbols are not necessary. Also, elements as buttons doesn't make it a bit cartoon-y/kid like?  

Also, elements as buttons doesn't make it a bit cartoon-y/kid like?  

not any worse than it looking like a nintendo ds which screams "man-child" way more than a button label ever would

EDIT

@kiga- I'm not going to repeat my argument about greek letters not being common reference, and I can't prove or disprove they're ability to be easily memorized, but I *very strongly* feel people know the basic elements as common knowledge better than the greek alphabet. Using obvious symbols rather than some letters you may not recognize (all of them at least) I feel to be more universal. Everyone knows a flame, a drop of water, a leaf, a tornado, the sun, the moon. These don't need a Wikipedia article to explain. My 3 year old could identify these objects. The thing they lack is not being a part of an alphabet, so there is not "standard" image for the symbols of those objects so it would be important to find an art style that could be universally identifiable with the theme, much similar to finding the right font for the greek alphabet, the symbol might be the same but there's many different ways to represent those greek letters and still be "correct"

not any worse than it looking like a nintendo ds which screams "man-child" way more than a button label ever would
Not sure what the ds has to do with this other then being the same shape as the Pandora/Pyra.
Anyway, at least it's using regular and known symbols.

Back