Action button labels

The only connection greek letters have is the name of the device. That's just as vague a connection as Suits have.
No, and this was discussed I'm pretty sure.
Actually they don't. They extend perfectly to 16 (symbol - color combinations), not 6. And color blind people again.
(s tag new)
Playing cards have no connection with the Pyra. They make it look like a toy, strange.
It represents gambling and this whole project is a gamble. :lol:
This is a realistic connotation. Do you want it?
So I say: Either Greek letters, or choose some of the traditional symbols. We could also extend the Playstation symbols. What about point/circle, line, triangle, square, pentagon, hexagon? That would be a more or less mathematically logical sequence (one corner to six corners).
And dice.
I consider it to be very rude to edit something and then claim it to be a quote. You need to mark it as edited by you.Also did you actually hide an argument in there? I don't see one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only connection greek letters have is the name of the device. That's just as vague a connection as Suits have.
No, and this was discussed I'm pretty sure.
This was discussed before, and that's exactly what came of it.
-God Ginrai
No, I'm fairly certain that's just what you made of it, not a conclusion in any way and certainly not true.
You have yet to offer an actual argument. "No" doesn't prove me wrong, facts do. The fact that you are trying to argue this another way simply proves you don't have any facts to provide.

-God Ginrai

You have yet to offer an actual argument. "No" doesn't prove me wrong, facts do. The fact that you are trying to argue this another way simply proves you don't have any facts to provide.
It proves that I'm too lazy to go search through that thread here for you just because you've already forgotten about a more or less recent discussion and can't be bothered to do it yourself.
Lets see.

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15736-action-button-labels/?view=findpost&p=318447

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15736-action-button-labels/?view=findpost&p=318151

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15736-action-button-labels/?view=findpost&p=318153

Happy?

Joker's symbols + colors, Pyra would be the carnival console :lol:

This post does not make any connection between the device and Greek characters, it simply states that Greek letters would be neat "for the geeks". Star Wars references would be neat for the geeks; That doesn't connect them to the Pyra in any way, shape, or form.

I had a feeling you were going to post this one. I've already addressed this in the topic and pointed out that math does not connect Greek directly to the Pyra, because math is a dominant factor behind all technology. That would be like saying it makes sense to put Greek on a microwave because it's a piece of electronics and thus closely related to math.

The only other point made in that post was about the name being Greek. I already addressed this in my earlier post.

I can find no information that supports the claim that Nikolaus Schaller is Greek.

-God Ginrai

Oh, I misread the last linked post then. I thought he'd written "case designer and producer" because that would have been right. Probably that's what he meant, too.

I'm pretty sure I've also already written a post like this and just didn't find it.

Reasons for Greek letters:
- not because the Pyra is made by technical/mathematical persons, but because it's made for them to use (not exclusively, but it's a large part of the target demographic)

- because people generally associate Greek letters with math and technical stuff, Greek letters would immediately make it obvious that this is no ordinary user oriented gaming only handheld

- name, obviously. Brands and stuff shouldn't be underestimated

- could interest people in a positive way

- would help to distinguish it from the competition (other symbols could too, but it actually does so in a positive way instead of the possible incorrect associations with gamblers and card games which certain other propositions have)

- Greek letters are old but still good, the games retro gamers want to play are the same

Some of those things could also be fulfilled by other propositions, but not all of them at the same time.

- not because the Pyra is made by technical/mathematical persons, but because it's made for them to use (not exclusively, but it's a large part of the target demographic)
EvilDragon expressed an interest in expanding his target demographic. To do that, he needs something easy to communicate, which Greek letters are not.

- because people generally associate Greek letters with math and technical stuff, Greek letters would immediately make it obvious that this is no ordinary user oriented gaming only handheld
Great, let's turn off new users to the handheld. If we go around yelling "this is not for you!" at new customers, then all we'd do is hurt EvilDragon's sales and the chances of a P3.

- could interest people in a positive way
The people who it may interest in a positive way are already more likely to want to buy the device on specs alone. The people we need to be convincing, the gamers who haven't jumped into homewbrew yet and the people who have only tested the waters for Linux, or haven't yet at all, would be more likely to be influenced negatively by a device using button labels that they can't type easily. Remember, the first thing people do when they have a problem they can't solve is try to figure it out through other sources, often the internet. If it's not something they can readily type with their keyboard, it is likely to be a frustrating experience for them.

- would help to distinguish it from the competition
The Pyra doesn't have any direct competition. And if you are talking about it competing with umpcs, tablets, or phones, then gaming controls already distinguish it from the competition. And if you are talking about competing with the 3DS and Vita, then Linux and a Keyboard distinguish it from its competition, among other things.

(other symbols could too, but it actually does so in a positive way instead of the possible incorrect associations with gamblers and card games which certain other propositions have)
Suits are not a negative association, you're just being incredibly biased.

-God Ginrai

This is a realistic connotation. Do you want it?
Want the symbols? Not really.
I consider it to be very rude to edit something and then claim it to be a quote. You need to mark it as edited by you.

Also did you actually hide an argument in there? I don't see one.
Sorry, thought that was understood. Just playing about with it now. :lol:

You, Greek's letters opponents are wrong. Let's vote so that may the result will bring you to reason.

Look if we have a tiny e-ink display on the front of the device then it can display the button configuration.  Then we can use Ancient Chinese numbers, or Greek for all that I care.  +1 use for e-ink.

Has anyone considered mathematical symbols? + - * # ! ^ or something along those lines? Most people could easily identify these over Greek characters, or is it all about getting away from symbols on the keyboard? If so, why? Was there ever real confusion about the buttons and keys on Pandora?

It is logic to me that actions buttons should have their own labels (different from keyboards). Greek characters seems to be the most natural choice. If anyone have any others symbols which match with Pyra's identity I would be glad to see it.

Has anyone considered mathematical symbols? + - * # ! ^ or something along those lines? Most people could easily identify these over Greek characters, or is it all about getting away from symbols on the keyboard? If so, why? Was there ever real confusion about the buttons and keys on Pandora?
The original excuse that _wb_ used to launch this campaign was exactly that: getting away from symbols used on the keyboard.

-God Ginrai

Is it really that confusing to use similar characters? I mean, you'll only do it once if at all. If a game says 'Press B' and B doesn't work on the keyboard, then you'll try B on the face buttons (and vice versa). Hardly complex stuff. Yet there's umpteen pages discussing glyphs. Bonkers.

Is it really that confusing to use similar characters? I mean, you'll only do it once if at all. If a game says 'Press B' and B doesn't work on the keyboard, then you'll try B on the face buttons (and vice versa). Hardly complex stuff. Yet there's umpteen pages discussing glyphs. Bonkers.
If you are in an emulator it is:pressing the key on the keyboard

Pressing the button

Realize, that this is an emulator and your button is SOMEWHERE also ("where was the B button on the GBA again?").

If you use a pandora emulator on the pyra (with new button layout, but still letters) this gets even more confusing...

So something else than letters would make sense. ;)

Agreed.

If you are in an emulator it is:

Pressing the key on the keyboard

Pressing the button

Realize, that this is an emulator and your button is SOMEWHERE also ("where was the B button on the GBA again?").

If you use a pandora emulator on the pyra (with new button layout, but still letters) this gets even more confusing...

So something else than letters would make sense. ;)
No, if you are using an emulator, then they are going to map to the game buttons by default. Any maps to the keyboard will likely be due to user customization, in which case, you should remember where you told the emulator you wanted your buttons to be.

-God Ginrai

It's not even a matter of confusing but a matter of logic. Why should we choose letters if they are already used by keyboard?

Because it's the usual label? But the fact is that Pyra is a particular console which have a keyboard that's why we don't have to follow usual practice like dumb sheep but follow the logic.

Because it's the usual label? But the fact is that Pyra is a particular console which have a keyboard that's why we don't have to follow usual practice like dumb sheep but follow the logic.
It's not like controller+keyboard has not already been done before:

ASCII_Keyboard.jpg

Technically, by using ABCXYZ for the buttons we'll be following a convention set by Nintendo.

-God Ginrai

Back