Adobe Flash

linuxftw said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Can we have one of these Flash threads stickied please? There seem to be a lot of them at the moment.
That's why we need a solution.

Need is a strong word! Will you die without it? :lol:

Just out of interest, how will you be using Flash?

Last edited by a moderator:
So wait, there won't be h.264 for pandora? I figure it'd come naturally as part of the Community Codec PND and mplayer, or if someone cared to, compiling ffmpeg or x264 directly. I know Chromium uses ffmpeg for HTML5 support which uses webkit, and the browser we plan on using also uses webkit. Not sure at what point webkit meets ffmpeg... but I suppose someone will crap out a Chromium PND eventually, or I could just make one myself... Considering ffmpeg and Chromium and the dependence on each other, how will dependencies be dealt with? Will I just have to provide it in the PND or would I be able to have an ffmpeg PND and a Chromim PND and the Chromium one would just require the ffmpeg one? I imagine if you have a lot of packages that have a lot of the same dependencies, you end up with the issues a lot of Windows programs have where you have 100 copies of the same .DLL.

Optimally, the Community Codec PND would install ffmpeg separately so we don't have this issue with regard to codecs. Though maybe the runtime linker by default should be made to look in a directory on the SD cards for other libraries people may need, and not have to fill up the NAND with.

Eh, this has just been a rant as to how I think things should be. Probably bullshit, blah blah blah.

SomeGuy99 said:
linuxftw said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Can we have one of these Flash threads stickied please? There seem to be a lot of them at the moment.

I will die without flash damn it lawl.

linuxftw said:
SomeGuy99 said:
linuxftw said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Oh I see, you're a Flash game character?

SomeGuy99 said:
linuxftw said:
SomeGuy99 said:
linuxftw said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Oh I see, you're a Flash game character?
no

paulguy said:
So wait, there won't be h.264 for pandora? I figure it'd come naturally as part of the Community Codec PND and mplayer, or if someone cared to, compiling ffmpeg or x264 directly. I know Chromium uses ffmpeg for HTML5 support which uses webkit, and the browser we plan on using also uses webkit. Not sure at what point webkit meets ffmpeg... but I suppose someone will crap out a Chromium PND eventually, or I could just make one myself... Considering ffmpeg and Chromium and the dependence on each other, how will dependencies be dealt with? Will I just have to provide it in the PND or would I be able to have an ffmpeg PND and a Chromim PND and the Chromium one would just require the ffmpeg one? I imagine if you have a lot of packages that have a lot of the same dependencies, you end up with the issues a lot of Windows programs have where you have 100 copies of the same .DLL.

Optimally, the Community Codec PND would install ffmpeg separately so we don't have this issue with regard to codecs. Though maybe the runtime linker by default should be made to look in a directory on the SD cards for other libraries people may need, and not have to fill up the NAND with.

Eh, this has just been a rant as to how I think things should be. Probably bullshit, blah blah blah.
There should certainly be h.264 available, it's just that decoding will be very slow because the kernel version that's being used now doesn't support DSP codecs. Eventually full-speed decoding of 720p video should be possible - it's already been demonstrated on the Beagleboard.

The last flash thread is here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53430-web-browser-flash-support/ and has a lot more information that this thread. There is flash for Maemo and Android that run on the same OMAP3 hardware, it's very likely somebody will do a (likely less than legal) modification to get some kind of real flash running on Pandora.

Tom` said:
There should certainly be h.264 available, it's just that decoding will be very slow because the kernel version that's being used now doesn't support DSP codecs. Eventually full-speed decoding of 720p video should be possible - it's already been demonstrated on the Beagleboard.
It should be perfectly fine for 480p.
Anything larger is only for convenience of not having to re-encode anyway.

And I thought people were saying 720p baseline would be possible in software?
Maybe I'm remembering wrong...

Incidentally, it's important to pay attention to what profile people are talking about with H.264.
A lot of examples of "fullspeed 1080p" or whatever are working with Baseline Profile, which is a lot easier to decode.
That's all very well, but it's still not going to play my anime fansubs. :p

Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger
MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

fiveseven said:
Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger
MUSHROOM MUSHROOM
We must save Mushroom kingdom

4108919622_c89733d1de.jpg

Snaaaake Snaaaake ooh it's a Snaaaake!

Is there some hacked version of flash player run on OMAP3 platform?

OFF TOPIC !!!!111one Check out my supertux mod I would say it is ok. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53583-supertux-mod/page__pid__856399__st__0&#entry856399

Back