• Yes, i dont mind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I have no opinion about that

• Total voters

'Edy' said:
I voted "no" meaning "I do NOT like any kind of ads, anywhere. I won't play that game. I'll delete it and search for other free games without ads".

And of course, I won't pay for any game without first playing it, so unless the game has an ad-free demo, it would be out of my list.
Paying for application isnt "giving my damn hard earned money to the greedy developers", its like saying, "thank you, i have enjoyed that game and its worth to pay for it", if you feel you should get everything for free you should colonise the moon right now, because there you can take every piece of it and say, "this is my land", and even build a house :) and anybody will not say "we want money from you, for that piece of land"

'lucidchaos' said:
In the grand scope of things, the television industry is using the same model: releasing ad-supported shows, and also offering them for purchase on DVD with no ads (albeit a bit later).
Thats is the way i'm thinking

Last edited by a moderator:
'StreaK' said:
'Parkydr' said:
An advert on the loading screen because the game takes some time to load is ok, the game taking a long time to load because of the advert is not.
I've seen something interesting in your port "garden of coloured lights", and i think about this kind of advert in "advert" games for pandora.

That's the kind of good advert I was thinking of.

I have absolutely no intention of paying for any software for the Pandora, ever. I got burned when I donated to Zod for the GBA emulator on the '2x - paid to get a preview of it, only to find that the games I wanted to play either were unsupported or completely unplayable.

Never again.

D.

Dunny: There`s a difference between paying for something you did not try, and paying for something you have a very clear impression of, as would be the case in paying for the ad-less/enhanced version of a game. You can`t compare giving a donation for beta access to purchasing a complete game that has a demo.

I think that any source of revenue for developers is a good thing, provided it is completely unobtrusive to the players. I`m not too keen on having the game connect to the internet to get ads, that could have unexpected consequences. A simpler idea would be having advertisers pay developers a one-time fee to get a set of banners put in the game, valid for the game`s entire lifetime or a minimum of x years.

'Dunny' said:
I have absolutely no intention of paying for any software for the Pandora, ever. I got burned when I donated to Zod for the GBA emulator on the '2x - paid to get a preview of it, only to find that the games I wanted to play either were unsupported or completely unplayable.

Never again.
Wah, this is pain. Of course Zod could jump in today and say to you "fukof, if you want emu , write it by yourself, and try to NOT get any credit for it", a that should be fine, in my opinion because, if you didnt try to develop something , you dont know how many efford you need to give to build an emulator or even optimise it a bit. Hearing this is a pain for every developer, especially who dont make things commercially.

Well, Opera used this model for a few years when they were struggling to convince people to pay for their browser. Go!Zilla used it for years (program was free but you had an ad)... I quite enjoyed using their products for "free", and if I had needed to fork out for them, I would have just found a free equivalent.

My scale of evil is:

Something I have to pay for.
Something I have to tolerate limitations for (non-commercial use only, can only burn X CD's before you lose the functionality etc.)
Something I have to put up with unobtrusive ad's for
Something that has none of the above.

The problem is, I think, that you would need to have an Internet-based app in order to get any interest from advertisers, really. They would want to update the ads, sell the adspace etc. That's not *so* bad, but

Sorry StreaK, I came across as I was having a go at you.

I love how you compare TINCS to Quake 5. I understand why it could boost the morale of a team if money is involved, but I don't understand why everything we do has to be for money in this life. You're gonna lose it all in about 50 - 60 years from now when you die anyway :D.

I don't know what you're trying to say with your "lets make a big game project for free, without money" comment. I'm about half way through TINCS and it's only been a month buddy :D. I'm mainly just waiting on art. We're finally finishing our art style decision too, things are mooovinnng fast!

BTW; Love the beard. It's pretty frikkin cool, haven't you thought about having a finer strip along the jaw? I used to have mine like that, I'll see if I can find an old picture of it!

'Edy' said:
I voted "no" meaning "I do NOT like any kind of ads, anywhere. I won't play that game. I'll delete it and search for other free games without ads".

And of course, I won't pay for any game without first playing it, so unless the game has an ad-free demo, it would be out of my list.
you my sir are an idiot.
were talking about a 2 second ad at the beginning of a game, to give something back to the person who made it. what is your problem with ads

that is just ridiculous, and i hope every game for the pandora has an ad, even the ones shipped with it, just show you cant play it, i hate arrogance

It would make it available to everyone, but I would still have the option of buying it and all that. I like it. I DON'T like multi-level game content systems, where people who pay more get more content. Either all or nothing, please. So yes, I would very much think this would be a good idea.

'Butterman' said:
I love how you compare TINCS to Quake 5. I understand why it could boost the morale of a team if money is involved, but I don't understand why everything we do has to be for money in this life. You're gonna lose it all in about 50 - 60 years from now when you die anyway :D.

I don't know what you're trying to say with your "lets make a big game project for free, without money" comment. I'm about half way through TINCS and it's only been a month buddy :D. I'm mainly just waiting on art. We're finally finishing our art style decision too, things are mooovinnng fast!
:) i dont wanted to be harsh, this quake 5 <> TINCS wasnt been planned :)

and when i wrote "lets make a big game project for free, without money" i mean only that many people tries to make something big, without the money, and at the end of the day, they stays with nothing because, no-one wants to help without "magic wallet intervention" from your side :)

So here we have 2 options:
- If youre multitalented [ dev + graph + music + ligistic + marketing ] -> Develop all game from physics to boxart and sell this up by yourself.
- if youre regular dev -> Develop a game physics + earn some money + pay few graphics / music people and finish the game.

I haven't gone down either of those paths. I got something done, so I could show that I'm not a bullshit artist who's all talk. Showed what I had, explained what I had planned. Now I've got a whole bunch of modelers/concept artists/web designers helping me out.

All working for free, to make a free game.

Anyway, sorry I'll stop the offtopic.

--------------------------------------------------

I voted "Yes I wouldn't mind" because while I would rather not pay for a game unless its good (AAA). So I would rather sit through an add while the game is loading instead.

One thing I think is interesting, is using ads within a game world. Technologically it's an easy thing to accomplish and if you do it properly, you would actually add atmosphere to the game world. While I'm having a go at making people pay for shit that I make for fun, TINCS is going to need a whole bunch of servers. I was toying with one of the ways of getting this by advertising within game maps. Say you've got a city with electronic billboards, that move between ads, (a different ad each time on a static billboard would break from the experience), if it was a clean ad that fit in with the back story to the game. Hell even a "Drink Coca-Cola", it would not only add to atmosphere but help pay for servers.

That said. I'm hoping to avoid the route where we have to deal with money. When you introduce money into the equation, everybody acts differently. So, I would rather pay for servers out of my own pocket.

If you would like to have , let's say, 5$ for your game, then please just ask this for the full version, as long as there is a demo with let's say 1 or 2 levels I can play to see if it's okay i'll shuv out the 5 $.

for the demo you can include some ad's - as long as they don't interfere with game play.

'StreaK' said:
Example:

If you have to choose to pay for a game from pandora shop or download it for free but with advert inside [on loading screen], will you be happy with that?

Of course if you choose, option "NO", it means you'll likely buy the game instead of getting it free with advert inside.

Please post your opinion.

Who wants advertising in a game, unless it is so unobtrusive as to render it useless (like on a billboard that you are driving by in a race car), especially considering that almost all the software that has been released for the GP2X and GP32 have been ports of someone else's work (and presumably, that trend will continue for the Pandora). I think it is really unethical to port someone elses freeware project to a new platform and charge for it. This happens with a certain developer (or porter) on the mac. He has ported many emulators from freeware projects and then charges for them. I would certainly buy a game I like, but not if it's a port of a freeware game. I would make every effort to get a pirated copy of it (the port, not an original) unless it was clear that the original source code was licensed to them as a fee project. I also have a problem paying for clones of popular games. I like the game Mr. Driller. So some guy writes a port of it in his basement and then wants to sell it to me, I won't pay for that. But the same guy writes a fun game, or a game based on Mr. Driller, but different enough that it's a different game, I'll pay for that.

Enough of that rant, I don't want to see ads during loading screens. I'd rather pay.

Chris

Unobtrustive ads in free version + ad-free paid version should make most people happy.

@Parkydr: Please port garden of coloured lights to pandora too, it's a really good game. (BTW, did you know it's gpl now? (http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/598589))

'Butterman' said:
EMCP, it's "You Sir are and idiot". :p
:blink: :blink: :blink: ;)

"and"???

or did i type that and some nice mod change it :lol:

Wah, this is pain. Of course Zod could jump in today and say to you "fukof, if you want emu , write it by yourself, and try to NOT get any credit for it", a that should be fine, in my opinion because, if you didnt try to develop something , you dont know how many efford you need to give to build an emulator or even optimise it a bit. Hearing this is a pain for every developer, especially who dont make things commercially.

Not belittling Zod's work - what he achieved was nothing short of astonishing considering the utter crapness of the GP2X!

And yes, I do know how much work goes into an emulator - I write them myself. I currently maintain a huge development IDE and have done for a number of years now, and I don't charge a penny for any of it.

What I find amazing is that anyone is going to be foolish enough to try and make a living from developing software for the Pandora. You're going to have to sell to everyone who has one (impossible) and you're going to have to put out a phenomenal amount of games/apps/whatever at an alarming frequency. There just isn't the user base to make it viable, and unless you can coax the NDS/PSP crowd over to the Pandora (with linux? get real! 90% of those people find Windows taxing) then you're going to fail hard.

D.

Back