Qwak On Pandora?

Would you pay for this game?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kramy said:
I'm a cheap bugger, and I'd pay up to $6.00.

Note: I haven't played your game's demo. If it's really fun, I might pay more.
I'm EXTREMELY cheap too, and the PC version download price is looking high to me against the fact that I already have a (BBC version) copy of the game.

So, without any direct experience of the Amiga or PC versions all my comments stem from experience of the BBC Micro version.

You know how old farts tend to go on about "gameplay" and how some modern games are all "looks and no substance"? Well, no BBC Micro game really had "looks"by todays standards because the hardware was released in 1982. It was, by todays standards, extremely primitive graphically... so a game back then almost only had gameplay to go on. Like the early arcade games, they either worked REALLY well "Space Invaders", "Asteroids", "Donkey Kong", "Pacman","Tetris", "Pinball", and so on) or they sunk without trace and barely a murmer of memory over the years.

IMHO, Qwak even on the BBC had "cute" graphics - so far as that was possible at the time - and IIRC compelling music, but it really came into it's own in terms of gameplay. To me, it IS one of those "classics" that more or less defines a genre. It's also a great deal more sophisticated than other genre-defining games (like "Space Invaders") probably because it wasn't the first of the genre, but a stand-out version created with experience of existing games and gameplay.

Kramy said:
For distribution, I suggest downloads only...

Don't put any DRM protection on it if you do use SD cards - many posts on these forums state that not being able to copy the game to a huge primary SD card is a big annoyance. This is slightly mitigated by the Pandora having two SD card slots, but card/cartidge swapping remains a peeve, so I suggest distribution by download only.
I'd suggest direct download only too, and DRM a definate no-no for me - I'd want to put this on a "games" SD along with other games, so I don't have to fumble about with several cards to take with me where-ever I go. QWAK is one of those great games you can pick up and play for a few spare minutes or get engrossed in for hours, but it's not the ONLY game I'd want to hand - my whim knows no bounds... and DRM sucks. It pretty much penalises only legitimate honest customers, and with Pandora being an "Open Market" type of product I'd rather see the programming effort put into a game than in restricting how legitimate users play the game.

I wonder - every now and then I see people want to write games without game coding knowledge. I wonder if a level designer (and a "market" to distribute level sets) could be enough to help them on their way - first baby steps in game design?

Last edited by a moderator:
joseluisjazz said:
Gameplay for the amiga version:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hQNoUJKE-xg

ok, it looks fun :)

and you can see how it would look on the pandora screen, since youtube flash window has exactly 800x480 (if I remember correctly)

Damn that does look addictive in a Bubble Bobble kinda way.
Cheers for the vid :)

Price wise i would pay upto £10 download or upto £20 for a SD card version in box with manual, maybe with a ltd run of 300 or so like the GBA version to make collectors feel like its a one off run and no chance of buying on SD only dl.

Repton was indeed one of the greats for the BBC - far surpassing 2Boulder Dash" even though the two appear similar "on paper".

It looks like contacting support@superiorinteractive.com would probably be the best way of encouraging Pandora support?

Rather than "topic drift" the Qwak thread to death, should we create a "Classic games we'd like ported - how to contact the authors" thread instead? I mean, eumulators really ARE great, but seeing some of the classics actually take advantage of better hardware than the micro computers of old would be a blast...

Monk said:
Rather than "topic drift" the Qwak thread to death, should we create a "Classic games we'd like ported - how to contact the authors" thread instead? I mean, eumulators really ARE great, but seeing some of the classics actually take advantage of better hardware than the micro computers of old would be a blast...
I think that may be worth doing - go for it. I'll be happy to contribute a letter template or such, if so. :p

As far as the cost, for say, a download version of Qwak on Pandora, it's really difficult to say at this point (a lot is still unknown for me, esp. as to the technicalities of developing games for Pandora).

I can see it being quite modest though, certainly not exceeding the cost of the current PC version. I do get the impression that the Pandora is a lot more suitable for this kind of game that the PC is, and would probably out sell the PC version anyway (and more sales, justifies a lower price).

I'd also be very unlikely to use any DRM, and would operate more on a trust basis.

Pandora looks like a really cool fun platform to make games for (flashback to the Amiga days!), and it could be fun making original games specifically for it. I think if piracy is strongly frowned upon and discouraged by the community, indie game devs will feel a happier about releasing DRM free games, and also, it encourages game devs to port to, or to develop games specifically for Pandora.

I need to take a look in the developer forums, get my head round some of the technicalities. Is there anything like a developer program or getting started tutorial? .. how to set up the development environment etc? Would be really useful for new game devs to have that kind of info.

Thanks once again for all your comments and feedback. :)

Qwak said:
As far as the cost, for ....
Qwak,
Your comments sound very realistic.
I believe, like you, that if the cost of a quality commercial game is kept reasonable and DRM free, that many will purchase it. All that we can hope for is that the user community will understand that however they obtain a commercial game, if they like and use it, they should pay for it.

Totally off-topic! but ... for any Beeb fans here ...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k4J4sEeXXVI7BiSheX

... it's an unreleased game (for the Beeb) developed by myself before Qwak BBC (like, over 20 years ago). I've teamed up with Retro Software, and we're going to release a small run on disc and tape at Byte-Back in March this year. They'll be signed, and all profits are going to charity.

Byte-Back ...

http://www.byte-back.info/index.html

Back