After a long day, there'll be another one (2011-12-21)

Congratulations.

Really good news for Christmas.

May the 'A Team' have a peaceful Christmas.

:)

Less than 2 months???? :rolleyes:

Gratz ED! (and movnv ... Urgg but great :)

I'm on vacation now for a week of Christmas. Heer with my kids.. Spotty in IRC but around :0

Jeffphone

I haven't really been keeping up with this project recently, and this probably isn't the best place to ask, but what's the status with batch one preorders? I ordered from Craig and haven't got any notifications since then, so I assume it's still coming. Would anyone care to clarify?

I haven't really been keeping up with this project recently, and this probably isn't the best place to ask, but what's the status with batch one preorders? I ordered from Craig and haven't got any notifications since then, so I assume it's still coming. Would anyone care to clarify?

Well as you don't seem to be keeping up, the Texas company that was populating the electronic components to the PC boards couldn't seem to produce boards at any reasonable rate. They are migrating to a German company and this thread so far explains that the first prototype run is working well.. If everything goes well they will go into full production in January which so far looks good.. this company seems a ton better than the previous company.

Well as you don't seem to be keeping up, the Texas company that was populating the electronic components to the PC boards couldn't seem to produce boards at any reasonable rate. They are migrating to a German company and this thread so far explains that the first prototype run is working well.. If everything goes well they will go into full production in January which so far looks good.. this company seems a ton better than the previous company.

Okay, just tested the first PCB with all components - and as expected: Everything is working now :) Wifi, Audio, Mini USB - everything :D Seems like it's a good idea to fully populate a PCB and not miss out some parts ;) So, yes guys, it seems the prototype run was a full success :D :D :D

Congratulations, ED! Very good work! B)

It's great to read about such good news!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Daniel

This is excellent news ED :)

Soon there will be more Pandoras finding homes all around the world.

You guys are going to love it. The Pandora is really an awe inspiring bit of kit. :wub:

Well, the 12 I picked up still work fine.

5 have been running for the whole night, one was playing N64 clocked at 850MHz while constantly copying files on an external harddisk connected (and powered!) through the USB port.

Of course it was charging at the same time as well as connected to the internet via Bluetooth (UMTS phone)...

No issues here.

Threw a few PCBs around as well, still working fine afterwards. Pretty solid and working without any issues :)

I don't want to put them through undue torture, but how about slightly twisting/bending them to see if any solder joint is weak? Something similar to if someone sat on a pandora or if it was in the bottom of a heavily packed backpack.

This is so many good news so quickly, I'm pinching myself to see if I'm dreaming.

I don't want to put them through undue torture, but how about slightly twisting/bending them to see if any solder joint is weak? Something similar to if someone sat on a pandora or if it was in the bottom of a heavily packed backpack.

Wouldn't make that much sense as the prototype boards will NOT be as good as the mass production boards.

Basically this was to check that the PCB is fine (so we could order it right away) and to tweak the machine program for the mass production.

A prototype board will be inspected using X-Ray to test where all the components sit (most importantly the BGAs like the OMAP) and then optimize the placement.

Mostly fully automated
wink.png

Nubs are placed manually, they always will be (as they melt in the oven).

Some day after a few tens of thousands have shipped, etc...

It might be a good idea to revisit the nub design to see if it can be set up as a socket on the board that the nub plugs into. Easy field replacement if they wear out - easier assembly too.

Just a thought - it's been thought before though. Right now isn't the time to do it - but it's something to consider down the road.

Awesome Christmas gift, congratulations!

I just have one complaint now about ED:

He should change his nickname from EvilDragon to SublimeAngel!

Last edited by a moderator:
Noël! This is the greatest news in months. Who am i kidding? Years!

Congratulations to everyone involved.

Good work! I have followed this project for over a year now and i am really interested in this piece of equipment :D So after reading the recent news i have decided to buy me one. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back