After the Pyra, would you consider creating an open source laptop?

iArnold

Moral supporter
Hi Ed,

This question arose when I watched the talk here where this guy just wanted to use a battery that was not made by the manufactorer. In this case Lenovo, the odd thing is that companies seem to want sell their stuff so bad that it pays to pay big bucks to guys designing and programming blocking features to prevent the use of dumb externals like batteries rather than state hey you can buy our computers for even if we are out of business you can replace our batteries.

So hardware freedom, like the Pandora and Pyra have gets lost in laptop world.

I also took a look at an Macbook 12 inch. looks nice but no HDMI for an external screen. no USB port for USBsticks or other disk access, not even a headphone plug. Say how badly do you NOT want to sell a Macbook to 'geeks'.

What kind of a laptop could the world expect if EvilDragon and the community here would come up with one?

Regards,

Arnold

I want a jetpack! ... For other people to use, so I get the ground for myself.

I want him to make a car.
homer_15.jpg

Nice car!
No the Pyra could be a phone too? Who needs a phone then.
But when you travel and want a little more screen than a Pyra can offer, I like a laptop that is configurable, has the ports on board, not on a dongle like for the Macbook. (I was referring to this http://www.apple.com/macbook/ )

What OS would you want to use, again an debian based or perhaps a TrueOS?

Almost all laptops come with Windows and when you want a Linux to work on them you have to investigate if the hardware is supported.

After the Pyra, would you consider creating an open source laptop?
I think the best is to wait till the Pyra is finishet & shipped.

After the shipping, its the best time to start the search of an new main processor.
Because the search of an new processor, the development of an new processor board and the adaption of the OS / driver will need much time.
Its to late to start the development if the demand of an new processor board arises.

And about the deveopment of an laptop:
The complexity of the system is way to high, the cycle time of the product releases is way to short to be able to get managed by a group this small.
And because the market is that small & the sold number of the laptops will be that small, that the costs of the parts will be extreme high.

For example:
If you buy 1pice, the part will cost 10$/€
If you buy 1000 pices, the part will cost 5$/€
If you buy 100000 to 1000000 pices, the part will cost 0,1 to 0,5$/€

This adds up.
And the best parts are only available, if you buy 100000 + pices.

Actually what you need is a docking station for the pyra with more internal batteries and its own screen.

25425.jpg

You could always make a crazy accessory similar like these gameboy things for the Pyra except it turns it into a laptop instead ;)

i always thought ED's next project was a utensil to grab popcorn without crushing it and without getting butter all over your hands.

but wait, there's more!

with any luck, call now and you'll receive a second set, which will allow you to gently pick up chips, too.

Back