AI on Mobile, the new money vacuum

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story...id-to-rival-a11-processor-in-upcoming-iphones

It's been a while that I think the marketers want to develop a personal AI trained by ourselves, basically a clone of the AI owner.
Of course, as usual, it's about sucking our money, and get the most information out of us.
The clone will tell us what we "need" to buy, where we "need" to shop.
It will also be an even more accurate "picture" of ourselves than facebook, a diamond mine for big companies.
The thing will also take decisions, answer to mails etc.

I'm missing a lot of things here, have you some ideas about what it will do ?

Take over the world.
[doublepost=1504485285,1504485228][/doublepost]Take over the world.

FWIW, I should probably point out that most of that stuff in your OP is supposition. Of course, Huawei isn't going to point out any of the nefarious things they could do with it, but via MacRumours all they're really talking about at this stage is image recognition.

But sure, why not have a paranoiacs thread where we can discuss what they could do if they could really build a silicon analogue of us in out phones? It'd be like those old comedies where you build a clone of yourself, then it goes off and does your job, but it also eats your dinner and makes love to your wife, and kicks you out of the house.

First, if it would be possible to model us totally in AI, this won't be the result of AI going more smart, but result of humans going more dumb.

The biggest problem here is that even open source movement won't help, as its model turns against it when it comes to interaction - in IM, voice chat or social media sector, open source solutions create walled gardens as proprietary solutions do, but they have no advertising power to lock many users in. Nobody wants to go to AOL/Prodigy/Compuserve-like mess when it's so explicitly served - in modern times, it is usually nicely wrapped in "mobile apps" deception.

It is worth mentioning that one known computer security researcher constantly walks in a "fireball" made of noise generator and a low-power RF transmitter.

First, if it would be possible to model us totally in AI, this won't be the result of AI going more smart, but result of humans going more dumb.
I an not totally serious about this, but it sounds right. Many seem to feel that there is no need to think, figure things out, or remember, since they nearly always have a device that can do all that stuff for them.

It is worth mentioning that one known computer security researcher constantly walks in a "fireball" made of noise generator and a low-power RF transmitter.
More info please. I have long wanted to do the same, perhaps with something totally illegal and high powered for use while driving (I frequently see near-accidents and actual accidents because people care more about their smartphones than the metal boxes they are driving, with the worst being when people are in parking lots, almost hitting people walking around).

I also wish I could avoid being constantly caught on camera. Maybe I should coat myself in vantablack, or something highly reflective.

I would prefer to be selective about the freqs affected at various ranges. Also, since I wouldn't want it to be inconvenient to lug around, yet have it last at least a few hours, info from those who have already been down that road would be nice.

The biggest problem here is that even open source movement won't help, as its model turns against it when it comes to interaction - in IM, voice chat or social media sector, open source solutions create walled gardens as proprietary solutions do, but they have no advertising power to lock many users in.

I can run my own IRC server or even write my own IRC client, if I feel like it. With many other messaging services, the authors actively discourage any such attempts. The only walls that keep people away from foss communication systems are those built by the data-mining industry.

To bring us back on topic, maybe these AI us-es (think Bill and Ted) could make forum posts for us.

I an not totally serious about this, but it sounds right. Many seem to feel that there is no need to think, figure things out, or remember, since they nearly always have a device that can do all that stuff for them.
There is another problem: No need to read books, because "Everything is on the internet". Invented by someone in late 1990s, when it was really done by scientists, not accountants. Now e.g. third year IT students don't know what CPU registers are, but can program in a higher-than-needed level programming language.
Later, books about algorithms and C/++ are removed from university libraries more and more. What comes instead? "Developing Android applications". Unfortunately case authentic.

About this security researcher, I talk about author of Virut botnet code (considering his high-entropy communication I doubt that he deployed it himself). Few years ago he had a "blog" on a text file lying on some server :). Generally, he used maximum chaos i communication to fight with any profiling possible. Also in direct speech. Generally he had such RF generator always with himself in a backpack, powered from a heavy gel battery and calibrated enough to "exclude from communication" any cell phones ca. 30cm from his head, which is totally sufficient for avoiding accidential capture of whisper when using non-optical technology.

A wideband RF transmitter would likely be illegal to run at almost any power, but it's fairly trivial to look up how to build a circuit to do it.
RF transmitter may be illegal, but seriously I don't know how about a e.g. power bank? It has a converter, these can be really noisy.
(reminds me a story about striped flint stones from Kielce - it's prohibited to mine them on fields, but it's not forbidden for conscientious and hard-working farmer to plough 150cm deep :) )

The only walls that keep people away from foss communication systems are those built by the data-mining industry.
The problem is that in closed-source, we have a monopolist: Skype. There are a few other, but the primary one is Skype, at least in my country. You have Skype, you have access to 90% of people.
In open source, we have Tox, Jitsi, Mumble, a few more, a few makeshifts using nc + Linux sound system... Now any larger group of people has to: a. have lots of redundant apps installed or b. stay close with relatively small group, being in fact locked.
I know, XMPP tried to solve this problem with their "gateways" on servers. The idea was good. They went with "Embrace, extend, extinguish".

Oh how I love books. I have always read, but the last fem months I have been reading way more than usual, with about five books I am in the process of actually reading at any given moment, plus many resources and old public domain books online as references. All of my notes are being written in notebooks (paper ones, not portable computers) dedicated to the various subjects and collection of ideas. I wish I could afford all the books I want, even if it was only to get the ones still in print, and ignoring the old or obscure antique or out of print ones.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story...id-to-rival-a11-processor-in-upcoming-iphones
I'm missing a lot of things here, have you some ideas about what it will do ?
No, but I can speculate:

All I am reading is that it will have a GPU. Combined with stereo photo-camera (that it can process), it will be able to rotate a face such that it can take a few vertex points, and look up a table. And it has a modem, so communicate this data with the outside world.
My ancient camera has 'face recognition' and is able to realtime tag names on photos (so, if you indexed your friends, and forgot a name, you point the camera, and it will show you the person's name).

So, once software is written, you could:

1. Use that GPU to play 3D games with more FPS
2. point your camera at a room full of people and know their names instantly. Faster rowcall for a teacher.
3. point your camera at an injured person and get their next of kin's phone number and medical condition (only if they have discover enabled on their mobile phone).
4. Party apps! Overlay a mustache only on certain people, and a hat on others, make your rival look ugly. Export your creation and share it with the others in the vicinity. More fun than painting your drunk friend's face with indelible marker.
5. real Role Playing games. Where you upload your face data together with a mesh, so through the application you see Gandalf with a mohawk. With accessories that show off that you payed 100 dollar in real money for a virtual goldchain. And your level is 81.
6. The Sims game appears. Through your phone's screen you will see who is playing sims; they will have this green gem floating above their head. Invite them over and then remove the toilet.
7. Real Stratego. If you are brave enough point your camera at somebody that has a stratego flag on their head and press the show button. If it's a bomb and you die, the other gets points.
8. Yu-gi-oh comeback, this time, see a real battle while you look at the phone's screen. Cards are virtual of course, and to get good cards, real money has to be payed (but you get a free lousy deck to hook you).
9. Your date will be startled at first when you point your telephone towards her. But with each sentence you say, you get realtime feedback on how she took that sentence. It will also hint on what to say next.
10. Charities will hunt people's faces that have higher donation probability.
11. Call of Duty GO. Be careful not throwing your mobile phone while throwing a grenade.
12. Facially sign messages?
13. While texting, make a face, and transform that automatically into a smiley. No need for a smiley ribbon!
14... ok, out of cool ideas, but you get the gist.

As for the AI part, first it will be an if-this-then-that. Like the Final Fantasy automatic abilities, where you can program simple things like if(any player health<10%)then (action:heal). or If (money bank becomes above 2000, set 10 aside for preorder Pyra check once a month)
Then, the heuristic part uses Key Performance Indicators to figure actions out. But unlike SpamAssasin, it will need many indicators... the amount of money in your bank. The price of gasoline, the price of a second hand Pyra, the receipt of the fastfood joint. It then is able to get patterns.

For example: each weekend after payday you eat out. You tank full only if there is more than 300 dollar in your bank account (i.e. by the end of the month you only tank what you will drive, and not fill the tank to max).

Then you start getting commercials: Eat at $favorite_dinner with a discount. Eat this weekend at $other_dinner, we know you have the money.
You then get offers to walk another route when you walk to the train, through a street with stores that pay for more people to look at their stores and entice them to go inside. Extra points for taking pictures so they can use facial telemetry on people who have turned off their tracking GPS.
While walking next to a store, you get a vibration signal on your mobile, if you accept the data connection you get 5% discount, after clicking through 3 commercials. But only if your pupils dilated while looking inside.

After a few months, the environment is toxic like a webpage with multiple popups.... usage stagnates.

Last edited:
Then, the heuristic part uses Key Performance Indicators to figure actions out. But unlike SpamAssasin, it will need many indicators... the amount of money in your bank. The price of gasoline, the price of a second hand Pyra, the receipt of the fastfood joint. It then is able to get patterns.

For example: each weekend after payday you eat out. You tank full only if there is more than 300 dollar in your bank account (i.e. by the end of the month you only tank what you will drive, and not fill the tank to max).

You don't need a GPU to do that. You need a powerful server somewhere, but there's probably value in being able to cross reference people like that. And you need some non-savvy users who'll be constantly online and not surprised their phone is uploading data for no obvious reason.

I still think it's SkyNet. Didn't you people see Genisys? I guess that means it's also The Doctor, which means it is Scrooge McDuck, which means it wants all teh monies. @Linux-SWAT is right.

More fun than painting your drunk friend's face with indelible marker.
Wrong.

i wonder how long it will be before ads are targeted to AI...
Interesting concept... cheating the AI into things... I think that could be a new marketing job in the future

You need a powerful server somewhere
Yeah, kinda forgot about big data. But there is still value into having local data. For example, the amount of gasoline send from your car to your phone (which is set as public by you) to highway node... which gives you a coffee discount if you tank at the next gasoline station.
Getting that data from the car manufacturer's server (to the gasoline station) certainly would be higher cost.

The next TomTom-Free upgrade could have commercials played when in certain places, and try to get the biggest amount of telemetry/KPI's from you...

Back