Aliens Versus Predator Port?

Pickle said:
Lonewolf9383 said:
I got all the code converted over but now its just sitting on my hard disk at the moment gathering dust until my panda arrives so i can debug a crash on startup :( .
As soon as i get it this is the first thing I'm going to look at and i cant wait till then. I even stopped playing it on pc just so i can play it on the move! By the sounds of it that could be soon too :)

I think its going to be a challenge to debug, its not just a crash but a full lockup of the Pandora.

Oooh yippee my favorite kind of bug...not :p . Did you manage to try using any form of remote debugging? Thats probably the only way to debug a lockup. That and putting output into a log file at each step to try and narrow it down but even that can fail if it doesnt flush it out correctly. Had fun doing that on the gp2x a few times and it was painfully slow :-(.

Ah well i like a good challenge once in a while :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be so awesome. You know, the AVP2 source code was one day released but very quickly removed from the web as they realised it was a mistake, as it could assist cheaters. I think that with enough searching, it may be possible to find it.

Hi,

i know i resurrecting a dead topic but..... has there been any progress with Aliens vs predator?

cheers

tony

Hi, i don't check these forums all that much anymore but just caught sight of this :)

I have made a little progress before the summer and had it running albeit a bit buggy in places. Now that the nights are all dark and depressing again i have started to pick this up again. The main changes i still need to make is to replace the audio system. It uses Open-AL (which brings the game to a crawl) so need to replace it with something a little more lightweight. I'm thinking SDL. Running without audio makes for good performance but last time i tested it was before summer so I've actually forgotten just how good performance it was. I remember it was playable though :)

Will have to remember to jump back here with an update again soon ;)

Lonewolf9383 said:
Hi, i don't check these forums all that much anymore but just caught sight of this :)

I have made a little progress before the summer and had it running albeit a bit buggy in places. Now that the nights are all dark and depressing again i have started to pick this up again. The main changes i still need to make is to replace the audio system. It uses Open-AL (which brings the game to a crawl) so need to replace it with something a little more lightweight. I'm thinking SDL. Running without audio makes for good performance but last time i tested it was before summer so I've actually forgotten just how good performance it was. I remember it was playable though :)

Will have to remember to jump back here with an update again soon ;)

Really great to hear your still working on this project. I seem to recall you hit something of a brick wall of it crashing originally and then were perhaps without your Pandora/or still to receive one at all, so to hear you've had it running with fairly decent performance is awesome news. Good luck with the sound system re-work. I simply cannot wait for this, its like 2 months all over again :)

notaz said:
Optimizing OpenAL could be an option too, if I had some test that demonstrates it's slowness I could look into it.
Well for me it's more a myth than anything. I migrated a code from openAL to sdl_mixer hoping for a better perf and gained not a single fps in the process. So I would think openAL is as fast as sdl_mixer (as long as you keep the usage to the same level)

Back