Alive and kicking (some pictures)

They look amazing! I almost missed this thread as it wasn't in the news section.
I hope to see videos of them in the future :)

So, I skipped the keyboard wars. Quick question, with the F-keys requiring Fn+Number to use, is CTRL+ALT+F2 possible? I miss being able to switch to console with that combo on my Pandora. It almost doesn't feel like proper Linux if I can't just pop to a console whenever I want no matter what is jacking the full screen.
Yes, the key combo is possible and far easier than on the Pandora by using shoulder buttons.
R1(Ctrl) + R2(Alt) + L2(Fn) + 2

I also wonder if ALT+Fn+ESC ( = ALT+PrtScr ) does work as SysRq, so I could kill a frozen Xserver. But I see some complications finishing the key combination with the Fn Key pressed...
Yes, the key combo is possible and far easier than on the Pandora by using shoulder buttons.
R2(Alt) + L2(Fn) + Esc
However, whether Alt+PrtScr=SysRq at a system level, I'm not sure.

R1(Ctrl) + R2(Alt) + L2(Fn) + 2

R2(Alt) + L2(Fn) + Esc
However, whether Alt+PrtScr=SysRq at a system level, I'm not sure.

Except, on the Pandora, when I use CTRL+ALT+Fn+2 it doesn't work. It's not about how easy it is to hit the combination, it's that the Fn key seems to not work properly while holding CTRL and ALT, or something.
[doublepost=1497125533,1497125006][/doublepost]
CTRL-ALT-F2 is easily possible on the Pandora, because Fn is sticky, but for some reasons VT_SWITCH bindings don't work on the non gaming keys. Putting VT_SWITCH on the Pandora key works fine, though.

Whoops, missed this earlier. Then I guess the question is why VT_SWITCH bindings don't work on the non gaming keys, and is that also going to be the case on the Pyra?

@trix,

I'm not entirely sure why that does not work, but it could be a key rollover issue. Depending on how the keyboard matrix is designed some key combinations may or may not work.
The gaming controls are all connected through GPIO and should not suffer from this issue. With all modifiers on the shoulder buttons, this problem should not occur on the Pyra.

They certainly are, and I suspect these are actually all those black cases made with the wrong fluid and showing all of those flow marks. It's sometimes surprising what a few blinkenlights can do.

Except, on the Pandora, when I use CTRL+ALT+Fn+2 it doesn't work. It's not about how easy it is to hit the combination, it's that the Fn key seems to not work properly while holding CTRL and ALT, or something.
How about configuring accessX to +sticky?
I think sticky keys feature is a must-be for such small device to type swiftly. In most cases it works perfectly with shift, ctrl and alt, yet in most notebooks it doesn't go with Fn key as it's handled internally by controller. How is it made in Pyra?
About latchlock (pressing twice to permanently lock a key in pressed state) some people like it, some don't.

Yes, I am planning to do such pictures, in comparison with other devices.

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

We would need LCD display viewing angle test, how much better or worst it is compared to IPS display found on lots of actual smartphones.

We would need LCD display viewing angle test, how much better or worst it is compared to IPS display found on lots of actual smartphones.

Why? What purpose would that serve? The screen they have is the screen at this stage. That isn't changing.

How about configuring accessX to +sticky?
I think sticky keys feature is a must-be for such small device to type swiftly. In most cases it works perfectly with shift, ctrl and alt, yet in most notebooks it doesn't go with Fn key as it's handled internally by controller. How is it made in Pyra?
About latchlock (pressing twice to permanently lock a key in pressed state) some people like it, some don't.

I don't understand what you are saying here. By "configuring accessX to +sticky" do you mean configuring a button to access the X window system? I'm trying to find a combination to access the console VT's from within X or within a fullscreen game or application. On my PC I use CTRL+ALT+F2 to access VT2 for example. I have seen the suggestion to map the combination to the gaming keys and that should work, but I can't figure out how to map VT_SWITCH to custom bindings. Even if it's just VT2, the ability to use a combination such as (Both shoulders + A) to switch to VT2 and (Both shoulders + B) to switch back to X (VT7?) would be perfect.

Being able to pop into a console no matter what is hogging the screen is one of my favorite features of Linux.
[doublepost=1497556053,1497555932][/doublepost]
Why? What purpose would that serve? The screen they have is the screen at this stage. That isn't changing.

So we have a better idea of what we are spending money on? You and I are pretty much guaranteed to buy a Pyra, but there are people on the fence still that could use such information in their decision. I don't pretend to know which criteria is important to people that are not me.

So we have a better idea of what we are spending money on? You and I are pretty much guaranteed to buy a Pyra, but there are people on the fence still that could use such information in their decision. I don't pretend to know which criteria is important to people that are not me.

Different display technologies have different strengths, costs, and availability. ED & co have selected the best display for the Pyra that they could source. Trying to tie direct comparisons to the best displays that Apple (IPS) and/or Samsung (OLED) can source for their $800 flagship smartphones based on their respective strongest measures is folly.

LCD won't have the broad viewing angle of IPS. So? Are we that concerned with enabling shoulder surfers to see what we're doing on a Pyra from highly off-centered angles? Should the Pyra's screen costs double or more to do so?

LCD won't have the contrast of OLED. So? It it overwhelming relevant to the device? Should the Pyra's screen costs double or more to do so?

An all-around best screen for the Pyra isn't based on those measures. Compatibility with the system, appropriate resolution, response time/rate, compatibility with the resistive touch screen, size, communication format, availability, and price all roll together into this. Getting into specific performance metrics based on comparisons to other screens on high $$$ megacorporation devices based on the highly specific -strengths- of those other screens and ignoring the whole package is a waste of time.

Back