Amd Or Intel..

i think im going to go for an athlon 64 3000+, are they better than an Athlon XP of similar numberage(ho ho)? Also, how long will it be until 64 bit windows is around? Will it run my 32 bit games and apps better?

since the questionn was about an XP proc.
take my advice , I mean it, get a 3200+ and a Abit NF7s normal
not the second redition
it runs on the Nforce3 chipsets, the only true stable one, 4 is still weak in some areas
its the best AMD socket A board for Overclocking, or not overclockin
just get it, slap a gig of pc3200 ram and a XP3200+ and a decent video card, and youll fly
If you want 64 bit, get the highest end 64 bit ( not FX series, like the 3200 64 bit for example )
and some nice motherboard, read reviews at newegg, I am not positve on the 64 bit boards..
maybe a k8v??
and get 2 gig of pc3200 with the best 64 bit processor from their normal line, and a 6800 or 6800gt for the video card, your comp will OWN every one
also, whatever you do, try to keep it cool, dont trust stock cooling on anything
not even your case

and , AMD processors will out-perform Intel anyday
a 3200+XP will beat a 2.8 gig p4 with 800 mhz bus an almost everything, ( loses just barely in 3d editing, not 3d gaming, AMD wins ) because they get mor computations per cycle than AMD does

~Octavious

i think im going to go for an athlon 64 3000+, are they better than an Athlon XP of similar numberage(ho ho)? Also, how long will it be until 64 bit windows is around? Will it run my 32 bit games and apps better?

WindowsXP64 Beta is already available and working (hell fast!!!)
It's available for free here.
Problem is, most hardware developers haven't recompiled their drivers - so most hardware won't work :(
Most 32bit software will work fine.

If you want to "use" your windows, you should still install the normal XP.
The XP64 isn't faster than a normal AthlonXP for 32bit - but it also isn't slower, so you're ready for the future :)

Last edited:
spray posted on Dec 29 2004 at 08:39 PM said:
hmmm, well i must say i've always had better experiences with intels over athlons

we had a p2 300 that run for years like the blazes, then upgraded to an athlon (insert inconsequentsial number here) with the new pc, because it was cheaper.

i now have a p4 on my notebook, its a desktop replacement style thing so its not some watered down chip, i believe its pretty much the same as a desktop processor, and have found it to be far more stable.

speedwise the pentium wins but thats completely irrelevant as they're not meant to be compared, top end laptop chip vs mid/high desktop chip, but stability wise the intel wins, of course it could be any other number of reasons why the laptop is more stable than the desktop.

Never get a Pentium 4 on a Notebook, as 50% of them are actually desktop processors and will kill the notebook's battery life and even case life. Pentium-M on a notebook owns for speed AND battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back