American Express

Based on another thread we may have to request a charge-back.

Um.. my question to this is.. what does this mean for the amount, is this even allowed based on our terms of service since it's been over the time limit, etc, etc, etc.

If we can't "get a refund" and can't get a charge-back, then where "is the money"?

It didn't vanish, someone has it, and my question is who.

I think everyone using AMEX or any other CC that has this issue needs some real direct answers. Since there are multiple of us, the logical place is in this thread.

(Well, I just sent an e-mail now directing them to this thread so hopefully everyone here can get an answer at least).

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip's latest update mentions that hey are still working on the AmEx situation.

I have decided to go ahead and dispute transaction as situation is still unresolved. I have to stress that I hate doing this very much, and I haven't heard that anyone actually received back their money yet due to this, so I don't know that it will do much...

same problem here. I got the first email late November, and nothing since then. We need an update here, whats happening with our orders?

I posted this in another thread:
TaG said:
Guys,
  • if you haven't had the refund after this time;
  • time might be running out;
  • Chip has posted to the effect that they do not have a solution;
  • openpandora staff have said do a chargeback.
I think your only real option is to do the chargeback as it is the only way at your disposal right now to stop the funds being held in limbo, and as has been pointed out, if you don't do it now that chance may also disappear. You should not feel guilty about it.

edit: I was referring above to Amex pre-orders specifically.
Basically, if you cannot get a reponse from openpandora, and there is no official news, you ougt to consider doing a chargeback whilst it appears to be possible. This has been suggested by staff at openpandora, so do not feel guilty about doing it, especially in the absence of any other options.

Thank you for the update. I've disputed the charge before it's too late.

I don't think this is being handled properly by OpenPandora. When some random guy (no offense to TaG) has to tell us what to do about our orders, something is wrong.

I'm beginning to think I won't be receiving my order until summer 2009.

Ok, so I did a chargeback today. Amex said it'll take up to 30 days but could be sooner. Just one question, if I were to repay now or sometime during January through bank transfer, should it be the full amount of the chargeback? Or is it better to wait until the chargeback is completed?

It saddens me that I'd have to open up an investigation with Amex to get a chargeback even though Craig said not to. I've tried really hard to just sit back and wait for a refund, but today marks 90 days and we've still haven't heard any instructions of what to do besides Jacquelyn's news to do a chargeback.

So for those of us that opened up an inquiry, guess we just gotta hope they get the money to us before it's too late to reorder? The investigation supposedly can last up to 6-8 weeks so that doesn't sound very promising to me. Oh yeah on a side note, if a solution does come up for us Amex users, I'm assuming we can cancel the inquiry right? I'd hate to put an extra fee on team openpandora for no reason.

Kayday said:
Ok, so I did a chargeback today. Amex said it'll take up to 30 days but could be sooner. Just one question, if I were to repay now or sometime during January through bank transfer, should it be the full amount of the chargeback? Or is it better to wait until the chargeback is completed?
Hey Kayday, just wondering, did you do a chargeback by phone or online? I did it online...at least I hope a dispute/inquiry online leads to a chargeback.

I did it over the phone. I just explained the whole situation to the representative and he said they'll contact the bank and should hear back from them within 30 days or sooner and that I'll receive a letter from their response. Then in 6-8 weeks will get another letter with the final decision. Again could be sooner.

Just hope it happens before the Pandora ships out so I can reorder.

Well - I haven't heard anything back from Debs since her Dec 18th email that she'd look into it (I thought she might at least have let me know that the bank is refusing refunds) and as today is 90 days since the purchase, I went ahead and called AmEx. Just like Kayday, it's now down as a disputed transaction and will take 6-8 weeks for them to investigate and either allow or disallow the charge. Here's hoping re-ordering is delayed for another 6 weeks :(

What a mess - why the hell couldn't the f'ing receiving bank just give the cash to gp2x once the bank discovered they can't refund the purchase... :angry:

Ok, the chargeback does appear to be the proper course of action for us Amex users... got this email from Debs in response to my email to her explaining what I was doing (and apologizing if the chargeback causes them issues):

No thats fine. The bank have told us that this is the only way our
Amex customers can get their refunds (why they can't just refund them
is a mystery).

Let us know if you have any problems issuing the chargeback.

In other words, if you paid by Amex and have not seen any money, call/email Amex IMMEDIATELY and start a dispute-- I can't believe you'd have much longer than 90 days to do so after the charge. I will say the few times I have had to dispute charges with Amex before it was handled in a week or two and not the 6-8 weeks they quoted. Probably depends on how busy they are.

I received a letter today from Amex confirming my dispute and it said a temporary credit has been issued to my account pending the results of the investigation, but I am in the same boat as everyone that I can't pay for a replacement order until this becomes official! I just hope we can use Amex for re-ordering by credit card although after all the trouble it's been that may become an issue. :(

(hrm, just checked my status online and it said it was waiting for more info from me, so I called and they told me they needed a signed letter from me stating the situation with a brief timeline... ugh. No big deal but it just gets weirder and weirder, never have had to do this before, maybe because of the amount of time that has passed?)

I'm in the same boat with you guys. I ordered with AMEX. I received my letter I would be getting refunded on Nov. 26. I waited patiently and then checked with AMEX a few different times with no sign of a refund. So I sent a letter to GBAX and Jacqueline sent me a note back saying they needed my account number to track it down. So I called the and spoke with Debs (Debbie) who said that had found out that their bank was refusing to refund AMEX charges (for unknown reasons - they didn't know what the problem was with AMEX). So she did not take my account number and she specifically asked me to do a charge back because there was no other option. She assured me my place was held as in the origional order and I could re-order later when the site(s) were set up. I just hope my refund comes back before the re-orders start!!

I just called AMEX and it seems that I can't dispute a charge that occurred more than 60 days ago. My payment was on October 2nd so unless I can get a refund from gp2x.co.uk I've lost the money :(

I really hope that my original payment can either be refunded or reinstated as valid.

If, indeed, the bank is holding the money and refusing to refund it then surely there's grounds for legal action by gp2x.co.uk to force the bank to refund. From past experience I know that UK banks do want to please their customers and, if all else fails, generally do the correct thing upon threat of small claims legal action.

It's quite a simple process to issue a claim, you can either do it online ( at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk ) or by post ( www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm )

Legal action should be an absolute last resort, but it seems that UK banks are sometime deaf until you make them realise that you are serious.

Ben

OP really need to send email to all Amex users about this. I don't check the forums every day and now may have lost my $$ permanently. :angry:

csantoni said:
OP really need to send email to all Amex users about this. I don't check the forums every day and now may have lost my $$ permanently. :angry:

@csantoni
There is no reason you should permanently lose your money. I'm sure AMEX will refund your money. It will just take a while. No reason to be angry. Irritated or frustrated maybe. But realize we are all in the same boat. It will all be better when you finally get your pandora.

csantoni said:
I just called Amex--I'm now out of the window to dispute the charge. Amex says they can do nothing about it at this point, and that I have to resolve the situation with the merchant myself. I'm a little upset about this, to say the least. If the Pandora guys could have sent an email or even just posted on the blog last week to let us know we had to act immediately to recover our $350 it would have been really nice.

Could I ask the team to make an announcement of what will be done, if anything, for us Amex users who didn't have time to religiously read the forums over the holidays? At the very least, we should all be receiving signed statements explaining the situation that might convince Amex to help us get our money back.

lutchann said:
csantoni said:
I just called Amex--I'm now out of the window to dispute the charge. Amex says they can do nothing about it at this point, and that I have to resolve the situation with the merchant myself. I'm a little upset about this, to say the least. If the Pandora guys could have sent an email or even just posted on the blog last week to let us know we had to act immediately to recover our $350 it would have been really nice.

Could I ask the team to make an announcement of what will be done, if anything, for us Amex users who didn't have time to religiously read the forums over the holidays? At the very least, we should all be receiving signed statements explaining the situation that might convince Amex to help us get our money back.

That doesn't sound good! Hopefully the guys will make it right with you by just getting the money you already paid from their old bank and sending you your pandora.

Back