Amiga Fans?how Many People Own Amiga.pandora Emulation Will Be Cool.

Perhaps not that relevant, but Amiga fans may want to try this: http://www.scoutshonour.com/digital/

It's more about BBSes than Amiga itself though, I suppose.

anyone remember Amiga formats mascot?

Sabrina

very risque for it's time, but I used to love the Amiga/PC sniping, made owning an Amiga feel "different"

gawd!, I loved that OS, all it ever needed was compartmentalisation to prevent apps taking the OS with em when they died (not that I recall any Amiga apps that DID crash, PC's and their flakey software where a bit of a revelation to me) after using the Amiga for so long, I wasn't aware "proper" software crashed often, if ever.

it's ironic that after running a 14mhz A1200 for years, the first thing I did with my "top of the range" 300mhz pentium PC was buy a pass-through accelerator card (riotous orchid 3d), somehow I NEVER felt the need for upgrades on the Amiga, then again, I always felt the Amiga was the REAL computer, when Amigas came out PC's (for the most part) still had text mode, no sound beyond mobo beeper and green screen displays.

edit : umm! just checked the shed, my Amiga is still there, plus a couple of Spectrums, and a C64 (old Vic 20 shape), and a dead Atmos, wonder if the Speccys still work, I have this feeling a Spectrum could survive a Nuclear war, might try one

hobbyman II said:
when Amigas came out PC's (for the most part) still had text mode, no sound beyond mobo beeper and green screen displays.
Yep. We lol'd at PC owners back in the days, the A500 was much more advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many things about computers nowadays seem like a step back from computers in the 80s, to me. :p

Prometheus said:
I've never seen another Amiga title offer a two-button joystick setting - did many games do this?

Once the Megadrive came along and in it's wake multi-button pads and sticks became commonplace, lots of Amiga games recognised the extra buttons.

Amiga is somthing special for me...i started with a C64 but few year's late i got an Amiga500 (kick1.3) the best machine i've had ...i love the music capabilities in primis..

So check this link for a great amiga remixes ....http://www.amigaremix.com/
there are plenty of music remixes of Amiga time..in MP3 (it's free B) )

the late 70's and the 80's where a blast!, seriously!, we had so much that was new back then, and loads of people trying to make their mark, we saw the first of EVERYTHING, first raytracers, first music software, first digitized speech, first frame grabs, first computer generated effects, first 3d games, home coders EVERYWHERE, first modems, first internet, first hard drives, it was like everything you ever use on a modern computer was just being born.

I recall spending hours working out how to render fractals (new at the time), compression algorithms where all new, I even invented my own, GUI's where new (I made a joystick controlled one for the spectrum), encryption was something new, there was SO much going on, and the best thing was, you had just as good a computer at home as a lot of the researchers in these fields had, it was a none stop rush, I LIVED for code, in fact it got so bad I started to think in assembler, had to take a break.

it was an awesome time to be in on it, we built our own hardware, software, protocols, I get a buzz just rambling on about it, unfortunately, once big money got in on it the small software houses crumbled, standards emerged, and MS and Apple took over supplying the worlds computing needs, after that it started to go downhill, the hobbyist scene dwindled, and finally my beloved A1200 died the death and I turned to the dark side, PC's and the current software world are seriously BORING compared to what we had

now! when I was a young man.......... :D

elinscheid said:
I have a 1200 but the floppy drive stopped working and I can't get a network card adapter to work. So basically I can't get any games on the 4gig HD and I can't play games off floppy. :( very sad

I got whdload games onto my A1200 HD in two ways - plug the HD straight into my PC and copy them over, or plug a SCSI CD-Rom into my A1200 (I think this needs a special attachment, I can't remember, my machine came with it).

Unfortunately my A1200 died last year. Power comes on, but black screen and no disc access. Incredibly sad, wish I could fix it.

I had (mr brother had!) an Amiga 500 followed by an A600 back in the day. I bought an A1200 2 years ago which now has a 4gb HD and Blizzard Acc. on board.....it's in the attic now but it's always there. When I move somewhere bigger it WILL be out full time, I miss playing Project X and Full Contact, aswell as the classics you've all mentioned. The Amiga was ahead of it's time and it;s why I'm buying a Pandora. The GP2X never fully achieved what I wanted.

Playing Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker on the go with touchscreen support is what I'm hoping for, amongst other things.....!

Bring it on.

amiga rocks!! dune 2, cannon fodder and flashback rock too :)

I arrived late to the Amiga scene, Bought an Amiga 500+ (Kickstart 2.04, 1mb)(inc Zool, Parasol Stars, Striker, Pinball Dreams and Transwrite) from Silica systems (When they were still around) for £199 back around 1992. I played parasol stars way too much, Still love that game. :wub:

Sadly traded her in for a immaculate condition second-hand vanilla A1200 about 5 years later (which i still have), Since upgraded it with a 3.5" 1GB HDD (tight squeeze), Apollo 1240/40 accelerator card, With 16mb of ram.

Me and a mate used to muck around endlessly with Protracker and Octamed, Neither of us could make anything that really resembled a tune, But we had great fun doing it anyway. That same mate actually wore out 2 floppy disk copies of the AGA version of Deluxe Galaga (Good job it was a freeware game + it was same guy that made Deluxe Pacman).

I also had a CD32 for a number of years, But the only time it got used a great deal, Was when i played Diggers, Liberation, Misadventures of Flink or Guardian on it, Sadly it died after being put into storage for a number of years. :(

Hired Guns
Parasol Stars
Pinball Dreams
Octamed
Protracker
Alien Breed SE
Settlers
Alien Bash 2
Lemmings
Chaos Engine
Locomotion
Apidya
Disposable Hero
Soccer Kid
Syndicate
Cinema 4D (3D ray-tracing software)
Abandoned Places 2
Eye of the Beholder II
Cannon Fodder 1 & 2 (War, Never been so much fun) :D
Worms
The Lost Vikings
X-It
Addams Family
Chuck Rock 2
Switchblade II
X-Out
Z-Out
Trex Warrior
Logical
Wiz 'n' Liz
Fire and Ice
Super Obliteration
Curse of Enchantia
Ruff 'n' Tumble
Vital Light
Desert Strike
Jump n Roll
Putty Squad (MIA ok!) :D
Super Frog
Walker

And many many more, I can not remember or have not had the chance to play.

I`ve got a warm fuzzy feeling inside, Cor, That's brought some memories back. :blink:

Trooper

You guys have no idea how excited you've made me to try out this Amiga stuff. Seriously, I think it might be the first thing I run (after testing my Painting homebrew app, of course ;))

I got myself 1500 & monitor & software. still around here gathering dust.
Installed a GVP2008 SCSI&memory card 300Mb + 2Mb
Then got a 68040 accelerator with an extra 4Mb
Oooh! 7Mb memory

Replaced it with a P166MMX pc (to play Carmageddon!) - the graphic card had more memory!

Last time I tried it - left audio channel had gone. :( Not tried fixing it.

Loved playing:
Code:
Syndicate
Populous
Nitro
Pinball Dreams
Lemmings
Arcade Pool
Killing Game Show
Awesome
Moria
Caverunner
R3

Oooowww, I remember GVP (Great Valley Products ?), They were the rolls royce of accelerator cards, And i always wanted a sidecar for my A500+. I think it was the A508+ if i remember rightly, 040/40 + 8Mb + 40mb HDD, But it was WAY TOO expensive (£799 ???) for my budget, And i`m not too sure if it was even compatible with the plus, Could have been original 500 only.

Trooper

Bosbeetle said:
Isnt the question if an amiga can emulate the pandora :p

I can remember years ago that Amigas could emulate classic macs of the same processor speed and were actually faster than the macs very slightly because the Amigas custom hardware took care of some of the macs CPU responsibilities :)

KodeIn said:
Link broken (too many "http://") :ph34r:

I still own my original amiga 500+ with his commodore monitor but my mouse's left button switch died some years ago while playing Cannon Fodder.
And I think I even lost the mouse when I moved to my flat. :(
If someone own a lonely amiga mouse he can contact me through PM...

I think you should take a look here:

http://www.amigakit.com/

They have a UK, US, Canada, and EU store. They sell absolutely everything that your Amiga lovin' heart can ask for, including mice.

The Amiga is also my primary reason for buying a Pandora. I am really looking forward to trying it out on the tv. I'm hoping to recreate the old days of playing space crusade, syndicate, captive, etc, well in to the wee hours!

BaDToaD said:
Bosbeetle said:
Isnt the question if an amiga can emulate the pandora :p

I can remember years ago that Amigas could emulate classic macs of the same processor speed and were actually faster than the macs very slightly because the Amigas custom hardware took care of some of the macs CPU responsibilities :)

ShapeShifter :D , Read and heard so much about it and it looked cool, But never tried it myself, As my 500+ at the time did not have enough grunt.

Trooper

Ahh....Amiga......late 80's.....*sigh*.... I was 18 (1988) when I got my A500. I'm turning 40 this month.......and that same Amiga is still in working condition :p I just need someone to repair my 1084 Monitor (not the 1084S, mine is the MONO monitor). My 512k memory upgrade had given up the ghost but a friend of mine (used to go by the handle Crain at the time) gave me his quite recently (well, a few years ago is recent by my reckoning!).

If I can get some of them floppies converted to images that run on the Pandora I'll probably die in ecstasy (Yep, floppies, 880k. A lot of them still work!). I'm glad to have lived those times and to (probably) re-live them through the Pandora even though I still have the original A500 that I can use.

Back