An additional reason to have 2 full sized SD ports with one being SDIO

Engadget seems to be the only outlet with any information at the moment, and that information is sparse. It seems to suggest that it's SDIO data which would be great, but it could also just use the SDIO for power and have a wifi broadcast. I think it's SDIO data?

Either way, yes, SDIO is an important feature that I would be disappointed if it wasn't available, even if I never used it.

IMHO: Not a duplicate - different conversations for different purposes, both highlighting the same hardware for different reasons.

Engadget seems to be the only outlet with any information at the moment, and that information is sparse. It seems to suggest that it's SDIO data which would be great, but it could also just use the SDIO for power and have a wifi broadcast. I think it's SDIO data?

Either way, yes, SDIO is an important feature that I would be disappointed if it wasn't available, even if I never used it.
Yes - not much on it yet. Hopefully they did it right and are using the SDIO for data and power then have it acting as a 3g data device from there.

SDIO devices are few and far between. USB has fairly well dominated the field for network adapters, bluetooth, TV & radio tuners, cameras, etc...

Still, on the 3g front, something like this would be pretty handy for people who think the Pandora successor must have a 3g radio.

Yes, this is pretty neat. It would allow you to have 3G without a USB dongle sticking out or needing a separate phone to tether to over bluetooth.

More cell phone companies in the US are changing and adding plans for 'shared data' over multiple devices. I could see this type of option being very good in those scenarios. I think that the reason a lot of the 'connected tablets' didn't get more adoption was because they were tied to cell phone companies and very expensive stand-alone data plans - and cost twice as much to buy the device vs it's non-connected equivalent.

It's a bit of a niche application within a niche audience (Pandora people) and drivers may be an issue - but the more I think about it, I might even be interested in using something like this on the current Pandora.

I wish there was a prepaid carrier that used SIM cards. I'd love to have unlimited data on a SIM so I could stick it in any device as apposed to being constrained to using a certain cellphone

Protip, you can use any data service and share it however you like. Wifi AP, Bluetooth, Usb, Ir (havent tried last one) It may be a breach of conduct, but its not like you have to care, or that they can prove it.

Similar to sharing your internet access over wifi. If anything it gives you plausible deniability.

If you are rocking the american way with a smartphone dumbed down by a bundle from the carrier, you can install cyanogenmod to achieve this. Or barnacle tether app. Dont remember if you need root for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just looking at cell plans in Korea. You can get unlimited data for 55K won a month. That's like 1/4 of what I pay in the states and I only get 5gb of data, not unlimited

I wish there was a prepaid carrier that used SIM cards. I'd love to have unlimited data on a SIM so I could stick it in any device as apposed to being constrained to using a certain cellphone
T-Mobile has such a plan. I have a pay-as-you-go plan for when I visit the US. I take my Canadian SIM card out and stick it in a crappy old phone, and put my T-Mobile card into my smart phone: unlimited voice, text, and data for only $2 a day, and I can still receive calls from home if needed. Faster service for $3 but I don't need that. They also have monthly plans you can look into since $2 a day is kind of expensive if you're paying for an entire month.

But its not actually unlimited. Its 5gb of 3G and unlimited 2G. and 2G is so slow its useless
I assure you it isn't useless. I've watched Netflix while on a bus trip with 2G speeds.This is the plan I have, the $2 one. The $3 one used to specify 3G speeds but I don't know if that still holds true or if it drops to 2G after the first 200MB of the day.

Here's their unlimited 4G plan for $70. They used to have 3G plans but I guess those have been phased out to make room for 4G.

You had me thinking "yes" when you mentioned 1 being SDIO. The more SDIO, the more we can sell it to those looking for high-grade robot control in a PDA that they can do all their gaming AND work on. AKA more versatility, which you can never have enough of.

And 21 Mbps? That's faster than my home internet, which is, at peak, 13 Mbps, but is normally around 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya but its the 200mb that I dont like
Ok... so don't get that one. That's a $3 a day plan that's only suitable if you use it infrequently, like I do as an occasional visitor. It'd average out to about $90 a month and is a worse program. Stick with the $70 unlimited plan. Where's the problem?

Back