... and production still is reliable and moving forward :) (2012-05-11)

Thanks ED, that makes sense. So will you introduce a DM3730 preorder at a higher premium? How will the transition work.

?

Thanks ED, that makes sense. So will you introduce a DM3730 preorder at a higher premium? How will the transition work.

?

I'd sell them side by side with the DM3730 at a higher price until the old ones run out, then it can go for the 600mhz price. Unless they sell really well of course then I wouldn't lower the price as long as they keep moving :) I think I remember ED or Craig saying they cost about the same so the higher price will help cover the risk of getting stuck with the old ones.

This way the old pre orders can upgrade and get something better thus making it worth their while to pay extra and new cash coming into OPT. I'd be really surprised if they end up being stuck with the 600mhz. It's a matter of price elasticity, there will always be people who find the price of the faster one just not worth it. And there are more old pre orders (I think) then there are "old " chips so they can be used for people who haven't upgraded.

Playing with some made up numbers:

So if the chips cost $150,- and assuming the price difference is negligable they could add $75,- for a faster chip Pandora so even in the event that everyone upgrades and all new customers opt for the faster chips they'd only have to move 1600 units including upgrading pre ordereres (under the assumption that 800 old chips are left) to have all the old chips paid for and everyone is happy.

The old ones are then basically a free roll so they can be used for eBay or whatever and get in some extra cash. Maybe someone else is gagging for the chips as they aren't on the market anymore and is willing to pay the original price for them. But I have little to none understanding of the chip market so that could very well be a ridiculous statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need to find people to buy those currently stocked SOCs back regardless of use right? to get your money back :D

You might not even want to say this but how much is a single omap3530? If you just wanted to sell off the 3530 parts - Buy a 3730 version and get a 3530 keyring chain for cost price :)

So can you clarify this please, will we be able to upgrade to DM3730 without being finally forced to go premium?

I'd sell them side by side with the DM3730 at a higher price until the old ones run out, then it can go for the 600mhz price. Unless they sell really well of course then I wouldn't lower the price as long as they keep moving :) I think I remember ED or Craig saying they cost about the same so the higher price will help cover the risk of getting stuck with the old ones.

That's the conclusion I reached on the previous page but unfortunately I got my head bitten off and I'm currently running around like a headless chicken.

The production should not be interrupted, so i presume the two productions will be side by side at some point.

The DSP is not easier to program (why should it, it's thee exact same one?)

Read that article again, the part about the DSP becoming easier to program tells you that they have now included it royalty free in the SDK and later they mention over 200 DSPs that can now be programmed using C.

TI didn't release that API and royalty free source code examples before the DM3730, so you HAD a harder time to use the DSP before that, but you can now do so on the 3530.

Well, if we don't have any preorders left and are only producing the DM3730, you will also get that one when you preordered... where should we get different units?

But geeez, it's a long way until then.

The DSP is not easier to program (why should it, it's thee exact same one?)

Read that article again, the part about the DSP becoming easier to program tells you that they have now included it royalty free in the SDK and later they mention over 200 DSPs that can now be programmed using C.

TI didn't release that API and royalty free source code examples before the DM3730, so you HAD a harder time to use the DSP before that, but you can now do so on the 3530.
Ah ok.

Well, if we don't have any preorders left and are only producing the DM3730, you will also get that one when you preordered... where should we get different units?

But geeez, it's a long way until then.
Nah !!! That is not an acceptable answer ! ;)

hum, so you won't keep old 3530 for old preorder and start selling DM3730 at same time?

That's the conclusion I reached on the previous page but unfortunately I got my head bitten off and I'm currently running around like a headless chicken.
You suggested slashing the price of the older pandoras rather than having an inflated price for the DM3730 pandoras, which is what everyone was against.

^ No I didn't, I said create a price difference by slashing the OMAP3530 price and charge a PREMIUM for the DM3730. How much they "slash" the price is up to them, $50, $20, god knows.

-The upgrade to the DM3730 sounds really nice, but won't that affect the runtime on one battery charge?

It's a shame that components have to be ordered in such high quantities, or you might have a rolling release of hardware (as long as the newer hardware is 100% backward compatible with the predecessor(!) )

-Can someone please update the "Current Status" page?

I know that the status report by ED in this post lets you calculate the current status as per that post date, but if you already have such a dedicated status page, why not update it? Seems pointless not doing so, since the data is already known.

As the DM3730 is produced with 45nm, the battery time doesn't change at all.

My testing unit has nearly the same battery time as my normal unit.

The SoC doesn't need that much battery anyways - most of the power is being used by the WiFi module and the LCD Backlight.

As the DM3730 is produced with 45nm, the battery time doesn't change at all.

My testing unit has nearly the same battery time as my normal unit.

The SoC doesn't need that much battery anyways - most of the power is being used by the WiFi module and the LCD Backlight.

I think people are tearing up about the fact some of your team have the 3730 SOCs, yet you're selling the 3530. I don't get it but id recommend focusing in the current hardware and not feeding the trolls ;)

I think people are tearing up about the fact some of your team have the 3730 SOCs, yet you're selling the 3530. I don't get it but id recommend focusing in the current hardware and not feeding the trolls ;)

That's nothing new, I mentioned this months ago, as it might be we cannot get the 3530 anymore at some time and a new SoC HAS to be tested.

Each test run takes at least 6 weeks (PCB production, etc.), and with the first run, 5 out of 8 PCBs failed to work, so there is more to be tweaked.

Back