And This Is Why We Need A Dream Cast Emulator

rohezal

Advanced Member
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (DreamCast Version :))

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/screenshot_list/Allgemein/313/Screenshots/0/0/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_3_(DC).html

It's turn based, so 10 FPS are ok, with lots of frame skips ^^

Bleh, the fps thing again. drk and ZeZu have indicated that Pandora is probably not GPU limited, and geometry is done in CPU which can't be skipped, so frame skip won't win you anything. That means that when DC emulation is 10fps and the real game is 60fps it's actually emulating it at 1/6th speed, not 1/6th the frames.

If that's cool by you then you know, knock yourself out.

For me, music is a huge part of the experience and unresponsive inputs are frustrating. I'll be happy with HOMM2 instead.

So has that pretty much killed any chance of further improvements to the DC emulator?

In the last video it looked to be going at a fair speed despite graphical artefacts.

I'm not saying Dreamcast emulation will be 10fps or any other percentage below full speed for any given game under any given scenarios, just that if it is 10fps that means it'll be highly sluggish as opposed to just choppy.

Exophase said:
Bleh, the fps thing again. drk and ZeZu have indicated that Pandora is probably not GPU limited, and geometry is done in CPU which can't be skipped, so frame skip won't win you anything. That means that when DC emulation is 10fps and the real game is 60fps it's actually emulating it at 1/6th speed, not 1/6th the frames.

So DC emulation is simply to hardware intensive to get decent speed? That's kinda sad.

As for unreleased games on the DC, that fact never stopped anyone from gaining access to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Alpha2: Learn to read!

Exophase said:
I'm not saying Dreamcast emulation will be 10fps or any other percentage below full speed for any given game under any given scenarios

IIRC this has happened multiple times re: posts on emulation speed. Why?

Insert another pointless game which most likely won't run but could be fun:

QUAKE SIMPSONS!!

i can't see that game being very demanding, how would the emulator handle something like homm3?

There was a Linux version of homm3, shame it wouldn't "just work" on the pandora arch.

Are there no good free clones? Like FreeCiv for Civ?
edit: LordsAWar found this (am at work cant check it out in depth)
A Warlords2 clone, and Warlords2 was awesome! HOMM was very similar, borrowed from it IMO.

I am a huge homm fan, and some what nerdy.. I have been looking for an excuse to get my coding hat back on.. Perhaps once I get my 'dora, this could be the excuse I need!

nikudorei said:
There was a Linux version of homm3, shame it wouldn't "just work" on the pandora arch.

Are there no good free clones? Like FreeCiv for Civ?
edit: LordsAWar found this (am at work cant check it out in depth)
A Warlords2 clone, and Warlords2 was awesome! HOMM was very similar, borrowed from it IMO.

I am a huge homm fan, and some what nerdy.. I have been looking for an excuse to get my coding hat back on.. Perhaps once I get my 'dora, this could be the excuse I need!

No HOM&M3 for you. However, there's already a port of HOM&M2 to Pandora.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63QftOyxEYI

Exophase said:

On the plus side, a slowed down version might actually make it possible for me to beat berserk on the hardest setting :D

rohezal said:
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (DreamCast Version :) )

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/screenshot_list/Allgemein/313/Screenshots/0/0/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_3_(DC).html

It's turn based, so 10 FPS are ok, with lots of frame skips ^^

i agree... make one please!

typs lik dis said:
@Alpha2: Learn to read!

Exophase said:
I'm not saying Dreamcast emulation will be 10fps or any other percentage below full speed for any given game under any given scenarios

IIRC this has happened multiple times re: posts on emulation speed. Why?

Perhaps you could try reading the post I quoted and suggest how I could have gotten any other idea. The post you quoted was typed and posted before I finished MY post. Bassed on the early evidence of the current emulator the suggestion I got from the post I quoted was that a slow emulation would simply be slow and not benefit from any type of frame skipping.

borgqueenx said:
Does the dreamcast have eu roms just like n64 wich are running at 30fps?
Which european N64 roms run at 30fps? Usually they are 50, 25, or 16.7.

Back