Android gingerbread in a pnd?

I usually run my pandora at 850mhz, and it doesn't seem that sluggish; I mean, I've got some cheapo 'droid tablets from China that run like this or much worse :) My one cheapo tablet has a resistive single touch screen and really crappy wifi, so its basicly a slower verison of what we have here on the pandora now (though with the app store working.)

Using the browser to install apk's can work, and installing them from SD can work. I've found a lot of apk's just do't work, like notaz noted.. but some do!

Hopefulyl there is someone with free time who can take over the reins for this as poor notaz doesn't have the time, but it looks very promising!

jeff

Certainly an achievement. Thanks Notaz. Just installed it.

Works ok but indeed feels pretty slow. I own a G1 Android phone (also 600Mhz) that responds faster than this build.

I activated WIFI and installed slideme (alternative market). Then I downloaded 3 file managers, unfortunately they all were not working. On incompatible hardware (I owned a couple of them) it is a hit or miss when you want to play a game, but file managers are always working. They don't require special hardware, so I am sure there is room for improvement. Adding a file manager and terminal in the build would be nice to have. Also an apk installer might be useful.

So my conclusion for now, not an Android build that is usable (or I am missing something... and that is quite possible ;) )

The browser works quite nice and pretty fast and all functionality of the default Android system seems to be there. Maybe another dev can continue with this work, because it is certainly promising. As always Notaz immediately shared the source.

hey

so the default partition of the pnd is 150mb which i said yes to. i assume that is okay?

so now the os is still booting how long does it take? i am at black screen with cursor at top left. seems like ages!

thx

edit

after running pnd i get error message - SGX driver load failed, no 3D support. will that affect getting android to run?

i am using SZbeta5

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I downloaded 3 file managers, unfortunately they all were not working.

Download the ES File Explorer from SlideME, it works.

Now, you can install Apps from your SD Card. You can now install Root-Explorer or another Explorer, that can mount system partitions r/w.

Unfortunetly, the Android Market.apk that i've tested don't work, but the file was from another hardware, so you only need to find the right file and place it in /system/app, that's all.

edit: found a Market version that starts, but since this Android Version had no Google adds, it's impossible to login. We must find a way to login first with our google account.

adb connect via WiFi works too, so we can push and pull and install files like we want. So it's only a matter of time for a working Market. :D

Mupen64plus - Android Edition works, but slow.

The other emu from yongzh too.

Hope for some speed up. Good work. :)

Just tested and it runs , a little bit slow, but good for a first shot.

Maybe cutting the phone parts and some other active services in background (like GPS for ex.) we can achive a good speed...i have tested all at 600MHz on mine 256MB RAM Pandora with a 300MB SD partition.

Someone with a good camera could make a video for people that without a Pandora....

Adding a file manager and terminal in the build would be nice to have. Also an apk installer might be useful.
Do you know any free and opensource ones with liberal licenses?

after running pnd i get error message - SGX driver load failed, no 3D support. will that affect getting android to run?

i am using SZbeta5
I think I mentioned you must use SZbeta5a.

how does one quit android? or shut it down?

also does anyone know all the buttons etc for "back", "menu", "home" etc?

On the main menu (where are all the icons...Browser Calculator Calendar etc etc) select Kil Android and it quits.

To access the main menu click on the middle icon on the initial Android screen .

Download the ES File Explorer from SlideME, it works.

Was the first I downloaded, doesn't work for me. Is there a logfile I can check?

Do you use the latest Zaxxon? BTW. my Pandora has 256 MB

Adding a file manager and terminal in the build would be nice to have. Also an apk installer might be useful.
Do you know any free and opensource ones with liberal licenses?

Maybe these?

GPL3 https://github.com/n...id-File-Manager

Apache 2. https://github.com/j...l-Emulator/wiki

Another filemanager License Apache 2 (I don't know what you prefer)

http://f-droid.org/r...anager&fdpage=1

F-droid.org contains only free Android software.

Just discovered the A button (not the A key...) is the Home button

Also if you keep pressed the screen in the middle you could make appear the menu to personalize the main screen appearence ( i just selected Widgets --> PowerControl to be present on my main screen so i could activate/deactivate Wifi, bluetooth , etc)

I managed to install Angry Birds Space, but it crashes out after a few splash screens. That Slideme app will locate any installable apps anywhere on your memory card so that's handy!

(null)

Back