Android gingerbread in a pnd?

external wifi sticks won't work due to Android limitations.

Yey got it to work (Dances)

what I think was the kicker was changing the wifi stick from wlan1 to wlan0 and the onboard to wlan1 as I expect android just uses wlan0.

But I also rmmod wl1251 to get rid of the built in drivers.

now when I iwconfig from within android it shows onboard as wlan1 not connected and usb stick as wlan0 connected at 54mbps.

Edit:Once im happy that I have found a way to do this without major repercussions . e.g still have onboard wifi working Ill post a guide.

He didn't post a guide yet, but it's clear how to do it. Can you try it out Notaz and update the sticky if it works? Maybe link to meandu229's thread I quoted.

Will he ever post a guide? Even though it isn't really necessary, it seems like a good idea, just so we can have a reference to go back to

It's really easy - there's a file in some path like /etc/udev.d/rules/net-persistent - just swap wlan0 and wlan1 and reboot.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, our "guide" is:

1. as root, edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

2. change NAME="wlan0" to NAME="wlan1" and vice-versa

3. save

4. reboot

I have not tried this, don't have USB wifi yet.

Is it possible to get newer versions of Android ICS/Jelly Bean ported as well? Or is there a reason for Gingerbread?

So, our "guide" is:

3. save
4. reboot

How do I open the file as root?

doing "sudo open /file/path" doesnt work

You really interested in a binary build of Android that effectively just shows the booting splash forever? :)

So, our "guide" is:

3. save

4. reboot

You can use an editor, such as "nano":

sudo nano /file/path

It's ctrl-X to exit, it will ask if you want to save or not.

Not sure if Pandora OS comes with a GUI editor.  If you know vi / vim, you can use that instead of nano.

So, our "guide" is:
3. save
4. reboot

You can use an editor, such as "nano":

sudo nano /file/path

It's ctrl-X to exit, it will ask if you want to save or not.
Not sure if Pandora OS comes with a GUI editor.  If you know vi / vim, you can use that instead of nano.
I tried both nano a vi and neither seemed to work. Maybe I just dont know how to use them.

Is it possible to write a script that changes these automatically? So I can quickly switch back and forth between the two configurations?

I tried both nano a vi and neither seemed to work. Maybe I just dont know how to use them.

Is it possible to write a script that changes these automatically? So I can quickly switch back and forth between the two configurations?
if you don't want to use command line editors you can use mousepad as root (sudo mousepad /path/file)

Also while it would be possible to switch between configuration, I don't think it's necessary.

I did this on my pandora and everything in the default OS works as expected, it ony effects Android afaik

to manually switch configurations just save a backup of the file and swap the file names.

if you don't want to use command line editors you can use mousepad as root (sudo mousepad /path/file)

Also while it would be possible to switch between configuration, I don't think it's necessary.

I did this on my pandora and everything in the default OS works as expected, it ony effects Android afaik

to manually switch configurations just save a backup of the file and swap the file names.
Thanks! It worked

But I use Android a lot and plan on using both wifi configurations. How do I launch the file browser as root?

^ sudo thunar

or you could cp from the terminal it's pretty staightforward

e.g.

sudo cp realfile realfile.backup

sudo cp altfile realfile

that would make a backup of realfile and replace the original with altfile

shell scripts can be run as root, the are basically just terminal commands stuck into a file

you can run them with

sudo sh scriptname.sh

the .sh is optional as well as putting

#!/bin/sh

as the first line

if you have any questions about shell scripts the information is readily available online

doing some searches about basic linux command line use and shell scripts can really make using a linux machine a lot easier ;)

if you're like me you'll find that a lot of stuff is faster/easier from the terminal

Never mind. I found the .conf file in Android that allows me to swtich between wlan0 and wlan1

I'll just write a simple Root APK or something like that

for anyone interested, here is the "tutorial" on how to use USB wifi in Android

Download Root Browser
Download Jota+(text editor)
go to /etc/wifi
Long press wpa_supplicant.conf
click "permissions"
ensure that all boxes are checked so the file can be freely edited
open the file in Jota+
it should say "ctrl_interface=wlan0"
for internal Wifi, use "wlan0", for USB wifi, use "wlan1"
save the file and kill Android
Before you reboot android, make sure you enable the matching wifi type within SuperZaxxon
done

Back