Angry Birds on Pandora?

The Palm Pre has an OMAP3430, runs a kernel way older than 2.6.26, and uses the DSP. Not that I wouldn't prefer to just run a more recent kernel instead. There's at least one feature (perf) that I would use.
That sounds interesting. Do you have a link? I can't find any information about how it's doing that. I suspect it's DSPlink vs DSPbridge.

I tried it on my desktop PC and it worked on Firefox 4 and Chromium (running Opensuse 11.4). It wasn't light on the CPU though.

Then I tried it on chromium-dev (28 april) on the Pandora and the website was complaining about the lack of... flash (?!)

Tried it on Firefox 4b10... crashed the browser (might simply be because it tried to used too much ram... it was struggling for some time)

On Midori, impressively I was able to start it in, switched to SD but it was definitely very slow. Couldn't even get to the first level... there is a panning screen at some point and it was moving very slowing... like 1 frame per sec.

Honestly I didn't expect this HTML5 version to be playable on the Pandora (too CPU intensive) so I am not surprised by result. I am clueless about the "you're missing flash" thing when accessing the site with chromium-dev though. There is no flash version or I am missing something ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it runs well in Chrome.
Yes it does, Craig.
What about Chromium?

angry-birds1.gif

The Palm Pre has an OMAP3430, runs a kernel way older than 2.6.26, and uses the DSP. Not that I wouldn't prefer to just run a more recent kernel instead. There's at least one feature (perf) that I would use.
That sounds interesting. Do you have a link? I can't find any information about how it's doing that. I suspect it's DSPlink vs DSPbridge.
Go to the webos-internals page with links to various versions of the WebOS doctor, pick any version of the Pre doctor to download, and then extract the rootfs from inside the jar. Then you can poke around to your heart's content.

Edit: Having done this, you'll see that they use dspbridge.

What about Chromium?
Chromium is the open-source, debranded version of Chrome. If it works in Chrome, it should work in Chromium.

I just tested it on my laptop machine that was built for gaming, running 64-bit Ubuntu, using the latest Chromium in our repo. It was noticeably choppy but playable. Someone should test it on the Pandora, but i'm not expecting much, as this machine is struggling with it :/

It just occurred to me-- Angry Birds is largely just a physics game. Couldn't someone (with a Pandora, or I'd attempt it) make an open-source engine for the levels to run on? I mean, that's totally legal, right? So long as you have a copy of the game for yourself, you can extract the assets and use them with another engine.

EDIT: I don't know if this is common knowledge and I've just been living under a rock, but the physics engine is open-source... This would make it a lot simpler...

Go to the webos-internals page with links to various versions of the WebOS doctor, pick any version of the Pre doctor to download, and then extract the rootfs from inside the jar. Then you can poke around to your heart's content.

Edit: Having done this, you'll see that they use dspbridge.
Interesting. I wonder how that is, and if it can be crammed onto the Pandora somehow.

Angry Birds is just another game that makes use of the "catapulting" concept in combination with physics. This type of game has been available for years, although a lot of people think this birds variant invented the genre. There are literally dozens of these games playable via the web, without any payments involved. I don't know if there's an open source variant already, but surely someone with decent programming skills can make such a game within a few months from the ground up.

Angry Birds is a "catapulting" clone, not the other way around. So surely the developers of that game cannot sue you for anything, unless you make a 100% identical copy with birds and such.

On that idea, somebody should do a parody... Melancholy Pandas!

Back