Another Bricked Gp2x

tamorris

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I just recieved the TV out cable in the mail today, and I turned on my gp2x (which I have had for a couple of weeks now) to boot up while I was setting up the tv. When I went back to connect the gp2x to the tv cable I noticed it was on the update fimware screen.

The next time I turned it on it just displays a white screen then fades into vertical coloured lines(like when the battery has run out). I tried fresh 2000mah batteries but had the same problem. I knew it was bricked.

I read somewhere that you have to reflash it again with a jtag cable if it display's the white screen when it is bricked.

anyway finally here a question I would like to ask:

does anyone know where I can find information on how to build a jtag cable for gp2x? (I don't see any point in buying one if it can be made(I do a lot with electronics/soldering so it should be no problem making one))

Also my SD card is formatted with fat32 and I had no upgrade files etc... on the SD card.

What you need to build (cheapest way) is a Wiggler-compatible JTAG. There's loads of schematics and the like for this on the net, so you shouldn't have a problem. The pinouts for the ext port are on the gp2x wiki.

Next, you'll need to copy a replacement uboot to an sd card, place that card in the gp2x, and then use the jtag to upload a another copy of uboot to ram. When the ram copy runs, it'll see the version on the SD card and flash your gp2x for you. I'd recommend using art103's replacement uboot for this as it's much faster than the GPH uboot, far more reliable, supports a lot more SD cards, can boot files from SD cards, and even asks for confirmation before flashing firmware (so you should never get in this situation again)

Squidge posted on Mar 1 2006 at 09:45 AM said:
What you need to build (cheapest way) is a Wiggler-compatible JTAG. There's loads of schematics and the like for this on the net, so you shouldn't have a problem. The pinouts for the ext port are on the gp2x wiki.

Next, you'll need to copy a replacement uboot to an sd card, place that card in the gp2x, and then use the jtag to upload a another copy of uboot to ram. When the ram copy runs, it'll see the version on the SD card and flash your gp2x for you. I'd recommend using art103's replacement uboot for this as it's much faster than the GPH uboot, far more reliable, supports a lot more SD cards, can boot files from SD cards, and even asks for confirmation before flashing firmware (so you should never get in this situation again)

Thanks. I'll have a look around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Where can I find art103's uboot replacement?

tamorris posted on Mar 1 2006 at 10:15 AM said:

Where can I find art103's uboot replacement?

I think 'we' need to keep at list of conditions that lead to a bricked machine somewhere...

wiki?

You need to jump on IRC and speak with him directly as it's not public as of yet. I don't think he'll mind giving it to someone who already has a bricked unit, but I don't think it's a good idea for people with working units to be upgrading to it just yet.

Squidge posted on Mar 1 2006 at 12:06 PM said:
You need to jump on IRC and speak with him directly as it's not public as of yet. I don't think he'll mind giving it to someone who already has a bricked unit, but I don't think it's a good idea for people with working units to be upgrading to it just yet.

Last question:

where would I find the gph uboot?

If you honestly didn't do anything wrong or attempt to upgrade the firmware, you can probably get a replacement gp2x from wherever you bought yours. Most of the distributers are very nice about replacements.

Squidge posted on Mar 1 2006 at 01:06 PM said:

Where on IRC would I find art103?

gingepie posted on Mar 1 2006 at 05:25 PM said:
Squidge posted on Mar 1 2006 at 01:06 PM said:

Where on IRC would I find art103?
most likely #gp2xdev on efnet.org

You can get the official GPH uboot from the 1.0.1 firmware, I believe. But I would highly recommend just getting the art103 uboot.

Occasionally the gp2x sees a firmware update file on the SD card when there isnt one, and flashes random crap over the u-boot, killing it :<

OK. I got the uboot+firmware reflashed sucessfully with a cable I made from the tv out connector.

A big thank you to everybody for your help.

parag0n posted on Mar 4 2006 at 08:57 AM said:
Occasionally the gp2x sees a firmware update file on the SD card when there isnt one, and flashes random crap over the u-boot, killing it :<

One of the things that can cause this is FAT formatting: use FAT32, if possible.

Has anyone put together a HOWTO on unbricking a GP2X with JTAG. All I see is "search for cable schematics" and "use JTAG to flash the u-boot". I've searched the forums, the wiki and elsewhere, but there doesn't appear to be anything that covers

How to build the cable for the GP2X
Where to buy a cable if you are a rubbish solderer
Exactly what to do when you have got the cable; what software to use, the steps to follow to reflash the u-boot etc.

Is it just that most of this has not been documented anywhere?

nelz posted on Mar 16 2006 at 11:19 AM said:
Has anyone put together a HOWTO on unbricking a GP2X with JTAG. All I see is "search for cable schematics" and "use JTAG to flash the u-boot". I've searched the forums, the wiki and elsewhere, but there doesn't appear to be anything that covers

How to build the cable for the GP2X
Where to buy a cable if you are a rubbish solderer
Exactly what to do when you have got the cable; what software to use, the steps to follow to reflash the u-boot etc.

Is it just that most of this has not been documented anywhere?

For help using the JTAG to rebuild your GP2X, go to #gp2xdev on EFNET in IRC and ask for help with that.

tamorris posted on Mar 4 2006 at 04:09 PM said:
OK. I got the uboot+firmware reflashed sucessfully with a cable I made from the tv out connector.

A big thank you to everybody for your help.

That's great. Maybe it would be helpfull for others who might get in the same situation if you explained how you fixed it exactly (maybe on the wiki).

Back