Another Pandora Batch Thread

zidane2009

Still Fresh
Well, I was considering ordering the new batch of Pandoras coming out for December.

The thing is, I don't want to get one if there will be a new version shortly afterwards that changes the other ones completely.

So, I made this, and was hoping a Pandora Dev or someone would check this out and look at this

Will the new Pandoras
[ ]Have new features? (OSes or something else, probably similar to designs)
[ ]Have better capabilities? (Better Specs, this is must be a no if I do buy one)
[ ]New colors (At least black?)
[ ]Smaller/Thinner?
[ ]New Designs? (Maybe Joysticks will become more comfortable in the future, or stuff might become more packed together)
[ ]Different firmware (Not new, jsut completely different)
because if any of them are checked, I think I might have to wait until theres a perfect version (This is probably my OCD talking)

~Excited

Excited. said:
Well, I was considering ordering the new batch of Pandoras coming out for December.

The thing is, I don't want to get one if there will be a new version shortly afterwards that changes the other ones completely.

So, I made this, and was hoping a Pandora Dev or someone would check this out and look at this

Will the new Pandoras
[ ]Have new features? (OSes or something else, probably similar to designs)
[ ]Have better capabilities? (Better Specs, this is must be a no if I do buy one)
[ ]New colors (At least black?)
[ ]Smaller/Thinner?
[ ]New Designs? (Maybe Joysticks will become more comfortable in the future, or stuff might become more packed together)
[ ]Different firmware (Not new, jsut completely different)
because if any of them are checked, I think I might have to wait until theres a perfect version (This is probably my OCD talking)

~Excited
1. The next Pandora batch will come with updated firmware, but you can download it for any batch Pandora anyway.
2. No.
3. No.
4. No.
5. No.
6. No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excited. said:
Will the new Pandoras
[x]Have new features? (OSes or something else, probably similar to designs)
[o]Have better capabilities? (Better Specs, this is must be a no if I do buy one)
[p]New colors (At least black?)
[n]Smaller/Thinner?
[n/o]New Designs? (Maybe Joysticks will become more comfortable in the future, or stuff might become more packed together)
[x]Different firmware (Not new, jsut completely different)

~Excited
x = Of course later versions will be delivered with different OS, and firmware. Of course older versions will be perfectly updated to the same identical spec's if you want to.
o = Only if some hardware is grandfathered and hence cant be obtained for the production of later pandas. In which case the new part will be chosen to provide 100% compatibility with the old part, and if it supports new features... so be it. There wont be any extra cash spent in providing features not in the first version, so anything that gets added would be "free" stuff, and thats unlikely.
p = Probably yes. If there is a demand high enough for different colors, then there will probably be production runs in different colors.
n = New designs are likely to be a feature of a new panda. Some, possibly only me, are hoping for a tabletop version, with only a OSD keyboard more directed at (touchscreen) gaming then typing. Making the OSD emulate the keyboard of the first panda is going to be harder not that nobody took it in to account when creating the first one but it's still possible. It's not like it would be used for gaming controls anyway.

Sure, you can wait. But if the current unit actually suits your needs, why? If you wait long enough chances are you'd get a unit that will overclock higher... But on the other hand, when you finally do get one, your just as likely to get one of them that doesn't overclock that great, and a new unit is in the works, coming out 6 months later... There will always be a next, always be something better on the horizon. What ya gona do, sit on the fence for ever?

(The whole idea of a console based concept is to keeps spec's identical from the softwares POV, so any changes wont affect software capabilities, and so on)
B!

Here's a general protip:

OpenPandora wants to, and deserves to, make a lot of money on this. They are a company, after all.
With that in mind, they are definitely not changing the hardware for at least 3 years or so (last I heard)
Case re-designs (omg thin) are also unlikely, because they will require motherboard designs, which require nearly as much effort as a complete overhaul.

Software updates will probably be completely free and somewhat frequent, since it's running Linux, which tends to be free more often than not.

Incidentally, who said the 2nd batch was coming out in December? The first batch isn't even nailed down yet.

Excited. said:
The first batch = DECEMBER! No way, long before then. More like October. ;)

At the risk of (semi) repeating myself;

As I see it;

1. Pandora is a huge success - 2nd batch will just be a fresh production run of the first batch spec. to quickly meet the demand.
(More chance of that now the N64 emulator is close + more chance of an improved 'Pandora II' but many many months away)

2. Pandora sells only OK (i.e. most of batch 1) - Chances of another production run = slim

3. Pandora is a flop (i.e. several 100's left) - Chances of another production run = Nil

If you want one, order one now. Why risk not getting one?

If you want different colors, can't you just airbrush them or something like that? Whit the right equipment, you might even etch in some personal designs.

Just a note to say that they only come in black. ;) (Everyone else seems to have covered everything else already, as far as I can see.)

Thanks Promeseus. I just noticed some of the new videos had a white prototype.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll be preordering as well.

Excited. said:
Thanks Promeseus. I just noticed some of the new videos had a white prototype.

I think that's actually a clear/translucent case that they were using to make sure everything lined up correctly inside.

I'd love one of those :)

You can have it in any colour you want, so long as it's black.
Seriously, I can imagine a future batch, way down the line, having different colours, but that's about it. Maybe selling just the cases so people can modify their existing Pandora's instead of having to buy all new? I'm just making stuff up here, but it sounds good to me :)

I'm pretty sure they're already planning on selling extra parts, like cases, screens, etc.

Vorporeal said:
I'm pretty sure they're already planning on selling extra parts, like cases, screens, etc.
Confirmed: Dual-screen Pandora for second batch.

calc84maniac said:
Confirmed: Dual-screen Pandora for second batch.
You just have to assemble it yourself.

You can always use this site to colour your Pandora:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-179-dsi.aspx

Some examples of DS's in mulit coloured greens and reds etc. The colour coating is also scratch resistant:)

worzyl said:

Some examples of DS's in mulit coloured greens and reds etc. The colour coating is also scratch resistant:)

To my knowledge Colorware only colors devices they preapprove for the service unless you are an Elite customer. Elite is crazy expensive.

musicalwoods said:
worzyl said:

To my knowledge Colorware only colors devices they preapprove for the service unless you are an Elite customer. Elite is crazy expensive.

Ahhhh...so you more or less have to be a client? You can't just do a one off colour job on your device?
That's a bit of a shame...

What kind of timescale would be expected for a second batch?

If Openpandora have all the suppliers ready, does that mean they could turn around a new batch in a few days? weeks? months?

Basically, I am very interested in getting a Pandora, but I can't really afford one myself, so I was intending to ask for one for my Birthday or Christmas.
It's certainly not practical to ask my parents to pre-order a device from the first batch that most likely won't be ready for my birthday (4th Oct), but would be way too early for Christmas.

Is there likely to be a normal retail channel for the Pandora ready in time for Christmas?

Aninhumer said:
What kind of timescale would be expected for a second batch?

If Openpandora have all the suppliers ready, does that mean they could turn around a new batch in a few days? weeks? months?

Basically, I am very interested in getting a Pandora, but I can't really afford one myself, so I was intending to ask for one for my Birthday or Christmas.
It's certainly not practical to ask my parents to pre-order a device from the first batch that most likely won't be ready for my birthday (4th Oct), but would be way too early for Christmas.

Is there likely to be a normal retail channel for the Pandora ready in time for Christmas?

Probably weeks. The case is the last item holding them back, but once the molds are good, they can make a whole batch of cases in a day. It's probably the assembly that will take the longest, since motherboard manufacture must also be automated, and every part that isn't on the board or in the case is pre-made.

I'm gonna say weeks, but there probably won't be retail channels by the 2nd batch. Not big retail anyway, like Wal-Mart. Maybe GBAX or whoever.

lulzfish said:
I'm gonna say weeks, but there probably won't be retail channels by the 2nd batch. Not big retail anyway, like Wal-Mart. Maybe GBAX or whoever.
That's what I meant, an actual "click here to buy Pandora", rather than "email us and we'll give you details".

Thanks for the info, sounds like it'll be ready well in time for Christmas anyway.

Back