Any chance of getting an updated version of SCUMMVM ?

ldaneels

I don't know if I'm asking on the right board, but here goes.

Is there any plan to update SCUMMVM to 1.4.0 ?

I tried building this on Sebt3's VM, but it gave a bizarre error about missing SDL.h (though I've compiled other SDL apps). Haven't really spent much time looking at it though.

Code:
devel@devel-VirtualBox:~/Pandora/scummvm$ make

C++  	backends/platform/sdl/hardwarekeys.o

arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-g++: OPENPANDORA: No such file or directory

In file included from ./backends/platform/sdl/sdl.h:26,

from backends/platform/sdl/hardwarekeys.cpp:23:

./backends/platform/sdl/sdl-sys.h:55:17: warning: SDL.h: No such file or directory

In file included from ./backends/platform/sdl/sdl.h:29,

./backends/mixer/sdl/sdl-mixer.h:70: error: ‘SDL_AudioSpec’ does not name a type

./backends/mixer/sdl/sdl-mixer.h:78: error: ‘SDL_AudioSpec’ does not name a type

In file included from ./backends/platform/sdl/sdl.h:30,

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:77: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘SDL_Joystick’ with no type

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:77: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:90: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:95: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:106: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:107: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:108: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:109: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:110: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:111: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:112: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:113: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:128: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:133: error: ‘SDLKey’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:133: error: ‘SDLMod’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:133: error: ‘Uint16’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:138: error: ‘SDLMod’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:143: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘key’

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:143: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘SDLKey’ with no type

make: *** [backends/platform/sdl/hardwarekeys.o] Error 1

I tried building this on Sebt3's VM, but it gave a bizarre error about missing SDL.h (though I've compiled other SDL apps). Haven't really spent much time looking at it though.
DJWillis is maintaining scumvm ports on openhandheld officially (as in : he is the scummvm project member which have this in his todo)

My toolchain is based on DjWillis toolchain, So I'm betting it should be buildable, yet I dont want to step on our DJ's toe...

I don't know if I'm asking on the right board, but here goes.

Is there any plan to update SCUMMVM to 1.4.0 ?

I've been wishing for an update with fullscreen scaling/stretching & filter support ever since i received my unit, have to say i'm not optimistic it will ever happen but live in hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garrett said:
I've been wishing for an update with fullscreen scaling/stretching & filter support ever since i received my unit, have to say i'm not optimistic it will ever happen but live in hope.

Ugg, your one of those people.. I'd rather see black borders than seeing my favorite games in fat mode.

I've been wishing for an update with fullscreen scaling/stretching & filter support ever since i received my unit, have to say i'm not optimistic but live in hope.
Last time I talked scummvm with djwillis he was still committed to update his ports (gp2x, wiz, caanoo and pandora's one) yet his free time is realy thin.

imho, the best you can do is to raise him for his awesomeness, and pray that he get more free time ;)

My toolchain is based on DjWillis toolchain, So I'm betting it should be buildable, yet I dont want to step on our DJ's toe...
Yeah, I wasn't going to play too much, I just saw there was a section all laid out for the Pandora, and thought I'd give it a quick build.

Garrett said:

Ugg, your one of those people.. I'd rather see black borders than seeing my favorite games in fat mode.

Ideally so would i, but ever since my eyesight began to deteriorate i need every extra pixel i can get (glasses have a negligible effect) unfortunately as a fullscreen stretching/scaling option seems to be an anathema to most of the devs/porters here, until they begin to think of more than just the 'authentic' emulation experience regardless of how conducive (or not) it is to the host hardware.. i'm screwed.. c'est la vie!

DJWillis just mentioned on IRC a few days ago that he got so little time during the last weeks that he didn't even have the to update his SCUMMVM ports.

He'll do that once he finds more time.

Notaz improved sdl now supports touchscreeneventscaling with upscaling and stretching.

Might be an option for those, who need some extrapixels ;)

Ideally so would i, but ever since my eyesight began to deteriorate i need every extra pixel i can get (glasses have a negligible effect)
The flaw to your logic is that scaling necessarily reduces clarity. Sharp edges are no longer gauranteed to be sharp. So yes, while the image may be 2% larger, there is a tradeoff of pixel perfect sharpness that could actually be worse for your eyes and this tradeoff needs to be accounted for along with the effort involved in adding such a scaling method. Non integer scaling isn't trivial.

Ideally so would i, but ever since my eyesight began to deteriorate i need every extra pixel i can get (glasses have a negligible effect)
The flaw to your logic is that scaling necessarily reduces clarity. Sharp edges are no longer gauranteed to be sharp. So yes, while the image may be 2% larger, there is a tradeoff of pixel perfect sharpness that could actually be worse for your eyes and this tradeoff needs to be accounted for along with the effort involved in adding such a scaling method. Non integer scaling isn't trivial.

Really wasn't trying to argue logically.. merely stating how the situation is for me, every portable device that i have ever emulated on Smartphones, PSP, GP2x, DS etc etc i have run the emulators stretched/scaled (where the option is available) purely because it's easier to see what is going on.. especially in my favourite genre scrolling shmups.. i would always trade the sharpness for more screen real estate as it offers me more choice in what i can play.. it's really as simple as that.

Admittedly i have no idea whatsoever how much work is involved in implementing decent scaling options, and realise it isn't needed (or wanted) by most, but there are some of us out there for whom said options would be an absolute godsend & open up our play options considerably..

Code:
devel@devel-VirtualBox:~/Pandora/scummvm$ make

C++  	backends/platform/sdl/hardwarekeys.o

arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-g++: OPENPANDORA: No such file or directory

In file included from ./backends/platform/sdl/sdl.h:26,

./backends/platform/sdl/sdl-sys.h:55:17: warning: SDL.h: No such file or directory

In file included from ./backends/platform/sdl/sdl.h:29,

./backends/mixer/sdl/sdl-mixer.h:70: error: ‘SDL_AudioSpec’ does not name a type

./backends/mixer/sdl/sdl-mixer.h:78: error: ‘SDL_AudioSpec’ does not name a type

In file included from ./backends/platform/sdl/sdl.h:30,

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:77: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘SDL_Joystick’ with no type

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:77: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:90: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:95: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:106: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:107: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:108: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:109: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:110: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:111: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:112: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:113: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:128: error: ‘SDL_Event’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:133: error: ‘SDLKey’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:133: error: ‘SDLMod’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:133: error: ‘Uint16’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:138: error: ‘SDLMod’ has not been declared

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:143: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘key’

./backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.h:143: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘SDLKey’ with no type

make: *** [backends/platform/sdl/hardwarekeys.o] Error 1

Im getting the same error. Seems that someone really funkup and mess some stuff [i think it's probalbly windows guy , maintains scummvm right now since i found a lot of funny stuff here and there like: <SDL/sdl.h> and then <SDL.h> and "sdl/sdl.h" as well :) ]

I bet he knows, but he is really busy, so figure it out or wait maybe?

Back