Any chance of getting an updated version of SCUMMVM ?

Am I the only one who now experiences issues launching Day of the Tentacle after the update?

It worked flawlessly before but now SCUMMVM crashes when I try to launch it.

Other games seem to work fine.

Am I the only one who now experiences issues launching Day of the Tentacle after the update?

It worked flawlessly before but now SCUMMVM crashes when I try to launch it.

Other games seem to work fine.

Hi, have you checked your data files?

I have just copied the Day of the Tentacle files straight off my CD and tried it in a fresh download of the 1.5.0 release (and the earlier GIT test versions from this thread) and it works fine. Played for a few minutes without any issues up to Dr Fred.

I also copied Sam & Max off my CD and played that for a few mins without any issues.

Both my games are DOS CD talkie versions but in fairness I really don't expect issues with other versions unless you have duff data files.

You may want to just make sure you have cleaned out your appdata folder for ScummVM (pandora/appdata/scummvm), it holds the config file so it can't hurt to delete it and let ScummVM recreate it.

While your in those folders also check out the log files in pandora/appdata/scummvm/runtime for anything that got logged (such as bad MD5's for data files or invalid audio compression if you compressed the audio with a VERY old version of the tools).

Thank you Djwillis, erasing the previous config file did wonders :) Everything works again as expected!

This has been a problem with various emulators and apps,

we sometimes need to erase old settings to get a new pnd working.

I had this problem with mupen64plus.

It's not too hard to erase the appdata for a pnd, but perhaps we should provide a tool to do this.

We don't want to erase saved games, though.

Ideally, each pnd would detect old settings, and upgrade or reset them as necessary;

but that might be asking too much from our relaxed hackers.

This isn't Debian... we're not in Kansas anymore!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally, each pnd would detect old settings, and upgrade or reset them as necessary;

Personally, as long as this is mentioned in the new version release, I do not mind making manual changes to the appdata folder.

In this case it did not break my saved games so all good.

Thank you Djwillis, erasing the previous config file did wonders :) Everything works again as expected!

This has been a problem with various emulators and apps,

we sometimes need to erase old settings to get a new pnd working.

I had this problem with mupen64plus.

It's not too hard to erase the appdata for a pnd, but perhaps we should provide a tool to do this.

We don't want to erase saved games, though.

This isn't Debian... we're not in Kansas anymore!

Actually, just for the record ScummVM updates its config file on the fly with new versions (and has done on all platforms for many years) and that is pretty solid to be honest. Very rare that it creates problems.

I suspect (and it is a guess) that ekianjo actually had some bad paths in the game entries in the config file (so removing the games and re-adding them from the GUI may well have also worked). This is quite common if people label up as SD after adding games etc. (so /media/mmc***** becomes /media/mystuff) as we mount using card labels if present.

The only reason I suggested removing the config file was pure lazyness when it came to debugging on my part as once the game was readded if it was bad datafiles it would be logged with more detail in the latest version and if it was a bad path the game would just work ;) . Quickest way for me to get more info :) .

It's the 'last resort, big hammer' for for these types of things but does not really harm anything. If you blew the whole appdata away you would loose saves but that is quite obvious (saves are in a saves folder and the config is just sat in the apps appdata root). I guess I should not encourage fettling about in the appdata folders but in this case I made a call that the user was fairly capable.

I suspect (and it is a guess) that ekianjo actually had some bad paths in the game entries in the config file (so removing the games and re-adding them from the GUI may well have also worked). This is quite common if people label up as SD after adding games etc. (so /media/mmc***** becomes /media/mystuff) as we mount using card labels if present.

Djwillis, just for the record related to the above, I tried to remove the game and re-enter the game again the launcher (before wiping the appdata config data) but it did not change anything. The game kept crashing no matter what.

Anyway, I have no issues anymore and I am very happy with SCUMMVM again :)

Back