Any Good Mmorpgs?

Rathum said:
Eniko said:
Curlyjs said:
PoisonedV said:
mmo's seem like mostly aw aste of life to me
How much time a day do you spend on these forums? Anyway, I do agree MMO's are a waste of time...

All entertainment is inherently a waste of time, I find it amusing how some forms of it are elevated while others are dismissed.

Ouch. Lots of hate on the MMO players.

I play WoW a lot, but on the other hand I watch barely any TV and play few other games (I actually read more than anything else). WoW is just a more enjoyable way of killing time for me.

There is surely no hate in these posts :)
If you are in control of yourself there is nothing against playing a mmo IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
sindbad said:
I think the MMO hatred comes from the mass of malicious players in WoW and the general slowness and repetitiveness of MMOs.
Mine stems from the roommate who alienated his parents, quit his job, and stopped paying his half of the rent and bills, and seemingly only slept when the servers were down for maintenance, while I started putting in extra hours so I could claim the overtime to pay full amount for the rent.
"Oh, I'm looking for a job. They're just really hard to come by in this market. By the way, I got another character up to level 70 if you're interested in playing with me. I could use the help with this instance."

mali said:
Rathum said:
Eniko said:
Curlyjs said:
PoisonedV said:
mmo's seem like mostly aw aste of life to me
How much time a day do you spend on these forums? Anyway, I do agree MMO's are a waste of time...

All entertainment is inherently a waste of time, I find it amusing how some forms of it are elevated while others are dismissed.

Ouch. Lots of hate on the MMO players.

I play WoW a lot, but on the other hand I watch barely any TV and play few other games (I actually read more than anything else). WoW is just a more enjoyable way of killing time for me.

There is surely no hate in these posts :)
If you are in control of yourself there is nothing against playing a mmo IMO.

No hate from my part... just saying that people in general spend time on many things for fun and each of us have their own definition of fun

so getting back on track with the quest ,errmm question ...
nope theres not many open source mmorpgs to hope for that
would get ported to Pandora and even the ones that could get
ported are pretty crappy anyway.

i want one and many of us here want one even tho they have
been slagging them off to high heven ,the best bet is to make one
for the Pandora ,yep make one ,im all for it,and i am sure theres
enough savy folk on these forums that would like to contribute to the cause.

im all in favour of creating a basic 3d zelda oot style game that
can be built on over time,we need all the right kind of developers
for music artwork,ideas,story scripts and so on - im good with
creating 3d enviroments,skyboxes,low polly entities and basic
building blocks.

so if theres anyone interested and i mean really interested and
want to do this with me,please pm me and we will take it from there
and i would imagine we would need a web site for this,i can do that
also but im not a very hot web designer so i can create the thing and
someone can take over and mod it.

Paddy

I always defeat my mmorpg addiction thanks to be being a hardcore gamer. I got seriously addicted to wow, eq1, aoc, etc. , but I always quit when AAA games get released and I start to miss real gaming instead of IRC with swords, which is fun but less fullfilling.

In any case, a mmorpg for Pandora would be great, mostly because it would give Pandora an "Animal Crossing" effect like in Nintendo DS, create a strong community linked by a social multiplayer game/experience which would promote the console out of the "geeks only" space. It's the kind of thing that would get your sister / mother / girlfriend anywhere closer to 1 meter from the machine, and that means more Pandora users, more sales, better support, bigger community.

Well there is a opensource client of the MMORPG Tibia developed on otfans, I can talk with the fike and a few others who have been working on this. Myself am hosting a OT server 24/7 for about 9 months now, it's a tibia server with ame map, monsters, stats etc like the original just 3x more xp and skills rate. Would be fun to see that on the pandora :)

//som99

@paddy - Are you muchly familiar with Phantasy Star Online, by any chance?

I ask as the style of play of a game like that (a single player mode which more-or-less matches the online mode and mostly features the same quests, plus the ability to play online and take on missions with a small party of up to four people), combined with somewhat more "bite-sized" missions than some MMOs seem to have, might be well-suited to a handheld device. I seem to recall that it wasn't a massive deal to drop out during a mission*, in PSO, which is probably a good thing.
(*Am I misremembering, here? It's been years... I seem to have memories of it being an easy game to drop in and out of, though. :p I suppose that was a design consideration, since dial-up was still dominant back then.)

Alas, I am no developer, so I likely can't help much. However, I just figured I'd put forward that thought, if it's ok. :p

That "quest"/"question" pun got a laugh here, by the way. :lol:

Prometheus said:
(*Am I misremembering, here? It's been years... I seem to have memories of it being an easy game to drop in and out of, though. :p I suppose that was a design consideration, since dial-up was still dominant back then.)
You are and you aren't. If you started an event with a party, only that party (minus people, only minus, they couldn't re-join) could continue until the end of the event. You could also just go down to the Forest/Cave/Mines/Runes and level up for a while and drop in and out.

Thanks for clarifying that, teh_programerer. My memory's somewhat hazy on that game. :lol:

PSO is one of the few MMO's I enjoy. a mix between a room based rpg, a single player rpg, and a heavily instanced mmorpg

PoisonedV said:
PSO is one of the few MMO's I enjoy. a mix between a room based rpg, a single player rpg, and a heavily instanced mmorpg
+1.
I really love this game, and still play online ;)

Back