Any guitar players here..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I've recently inherited an electric guitar/amp & would quite like to start learning.. my 'experience' with instruments amounts to a triangle in the school music class, what is the best place to start (can't afford private tuition) website, book or other sources (recommendations please)

Any other advice or tips would be most welcome.

Thanks.

I've recently inherited an electric guitar/amp & would quite like to start learning.. my 'experience' with instruments amounts to a triangle in the school music class, what is the best place to start (can't afford private tuition) website, book or other sources (recommendations please)

Any other advice or tips would be most welcome.

Thanks.

There you go and all free - http://justinguitar....LessonIndex.php

Just follow the beginners coarse through.

Last edited by a moderator:
My one piece of advice is to follow some lessons, but most importantly don't *just* follow the lessons. Chances are you won't actually like the music in the lessons, so you should work on some pieces you enjoy playing at the same time. The idea is to choose a piece that is only just too hard for you to play, so that you are pushing yourself and anjoying it at the same time.

I don't play the guitar anymore (recently passed my acoustic guitar onto my little sister and selling my electric ones), but I always loved playing parts of Yuki Kajiura's Fake Wings, Rodrigo y Gabriela's Tamacun and the Adagio from Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez, because not only are they great pieces of guitar music (even with YouTube's horrible audio quality), but in totally different styles as well. There's a lot of other great stuff out there, no matter what your taste.

EDIT: A couple of other things - Never discount a piece of music because it was composed for acoustic/classical guitar (or even an entirely different instrument) and you play an electric. Likewise, lot of people like to start with Pachelbel's Canon, which sounds great ona guitar despite not being composed for it.

OK, thanks..

In no order of preference I'm a massive fan of Peter Green, Django Reinhardt & Joe Satriani but don't think I'll be attempting any of their compositions any time soon though.. I would love to be able to play the opening guitar lick Green plays on Fleetwood Mack's Oh Well though.. better start practising then!

^ Although the musicians you listed are generally considered 'advanced', there's no reason why you can't just choose an excerpt from one of these pieces and learn it. If you look for a section that is about 10 seconds or so long (or longer with repetitions), and then break it down, you'll eventually get there even if you aren't at a level to play the whole piece.

It took me 13 years to play Crushing Day. Nothing is impossible.

Will be back here later, i follow some other thread ;) .

OK, thanks..

In no order of preference I'm a massive fan of Peter Green, Django Reinhardt & Joe Satriani but don't think I'll be attempting any of their compositions any time soon though.. I would love to be able to play the opening guitar lick Green plays on Fleetwood Mack's Oh Well though.. better start practising then!

Link to guitar TAB for Oh Well, you can look up on the net what TABS are and how to read them, loads of sites out there on all this stuff.

http://tabs.ultimate...oh_well_tab.htm

Only been picking at an accoustic myself for a few months, I was told by a musician, guitar player/teacher we have in the family

that I should start with an accoustic as then when you pick up an electric it will be easier to play.

So at first, learning chords is a good start because your fingers will work hard, and also your ears.

All major/minor, then the 7th. Also learn how they are constructed. It's very simple.

You will quickly know the notes at the tip of the neck.

Shredding right now is a 95 % waste of time compared to chords.

But, after chording for 45mn or more, learn some stretching shred exercises, and a bit of pick practice. This is one of the best techniques to improve the picking speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJRZE6M_Y-M

Very important, practice with a drum machine, or a click.

Interesting music taste you have! Of the 3 artists you listed I can only attest to be able to play a few Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac songs. Oh Well takes a little while, particularly the end solo but you'll get there. I would actually recommend learning to play something like Albatross since its quite laid back and then maybe Man Of The World for practising chords. Need Your Love So Bad is good for that kinda emotional bluesyness. When you really get going though the fast riffing of Oh Well will come together. After that you should deeeefinitely try and take on the Green Manilishi! That song is too awesome for its own good!

Even after playing for about 18 years, I've never pushed myself to be as good as Joe Satriani or really particularly amazing at all... a bit of Mark Knopfler here and there or some Clapton but if you put the time and effort in you'll do it. Definitely try to be as creative with it as possible though. Its good to learn how to play and see how other people play but try really hard to define the way you want to play and sound, find the things you like and make it your own!

If you have. PS3 or a 360, give RockSmith a try, bit like guitar hero but you use your electric guitar and actually play and learn how to play, I've been playing for about 2 months and I'm getting quite good (even if I do say so myself), I've learnt dozens of techniques and you get immediate feedback on how you're doing.

These Rocksmith Game seems indead like a good choice to learn guitar, there is also a PC Version of Rocksmith but for us in Germany, this Version will come out on 11 Oktobre 2012..

I also play Guitar: i own a Acoustik Guitar from Yamaha for Scouts Campfire and this was my begining in this sort of Musik making, and i have a Ibanez Gio and a Roland Cube 20 X since 2010, and i learn guitar playing whit these..,

I ditnt had i teacher, i teached it myself whit songbooks, guitar learn books, etc, now i can read tabbs (needs a bit training) can play songs by using chords as long there are no barre chords.. and i can say i know how to read and use notes /scores and know where this scores are on my fingerboard..

Back