Any News?

Sonic-NKT

Hi,
its quite about this project now for a long time now.. i was very intrested in it, especially the Wifi thing. (got a working USB adapter for linux) so is it still in active project?

Sonic-NKT posted on May 23 2005 at 01:59 AM said:
Hi,
its quite about this project now for a long time now.. i was very intrested in it, especially the Wifi thing. (got a working USB adapter for linux) so is it still in active project?
Hi

We do not have as much time as before...

Ingeras managed to get Wifi working, ask him about it.

You have to plug a USB hub in between the GP and the dongle, and to have the right drivers compiled in. If you tell me what drivers to include in the kernel, I can provide you with a compiled kernel.

After that you will need some tool to configure the dongle once detected, but I do not have any wifi hardware so I do not know how to use it.

As always, contributors are welcome...

PS: Lucas is currrently porting the 2.6 kernel, that will provide much more drivers, once his task is finished... but this is HUGE work...

Any progress, Lucas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonic-NKT posted on May 22 2005 at 09:59 PM said:
Hi,
MMMmmmm, Linux. You would have my support if I knew how or had money ;) !

Sonic-NKT posted on May 23 2005 at 01:59 AM said:
Hi,

search the forum
i posted a list of working devices [ for the gp32linux wifi pack i made once]
-----------------
I didnt work on the project for some time sorry :(
(but i used my gp during my vaccations ... to read some jokes and play some games)

But the gp32linux wifi works , and i made once a live test with a msn [text mode] application .... :)

if someone have some time we could try

1/ new version of linux-wlan-ng drivers
ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/

2/ the new ndiswrapper driver

3/ the new 2.6 kernel [ better usb support ? ]

------------------
by the way, i dont know why gp32linux.com is down
[ and i gave that url when i was at the fosdem [www.fosdem.org] this year .... ]

PS: Lucas is currrently porting the 2.6 kernel, that will provide much more drivers, once his task is finished... but this is HUGE work...

Any progress, Lucas?

Hi there!

I was very busy on the last months, since I moved to a new city and stayed away from my computer for some huge time. I just got an internet connection on my appartment, and I've started to put all of my spare time on the port again.

While away from the internet, I've enhanced the bootloader, which now can choose the GP32 speed before the Linux kernel boots. The clock is still hardcoded, but now it's just a matter of writing a fancy menu to choose at boot time the GP speed.

Yesterday I finished the remaining 2.6.13-rc2 patches. I'll submit them today to Ben Dooks for review, and if everything is ok I'll pull them on the ARM Linux tree.

Now, on to the bugs:
- the UART (on the bootloader) is getting crazy on the first writes to the serial. It writes some unreadable strings before writing the correct data. I tried reseting the UART FIFO before disabling it, but it didn't solve the problem;
- the kernel image is being copied to the wrong place, probably. This is my biggest effort now - the compressed image (zImage) is stored correctly at RAM, but after the jump is done to its start address it looks like the uncompressed kernel image is written to an invalid address.

Well, I expect to have these problems solved this week. I'll try to get in touch with the forum now that I have an internet connection again in order to post the progress.

As usual, if anyone feels comfortable on C programming, help is very appreciated :)

Cheers,
Lucas

Quick question from me, does the bootloader work on BLU+? Will it by the time you're finished?

paranoidd posted on Jul 11 2005 at 03:46 PM said:

Any progress, Lucas?

As usual, if anyone feels comfortable on C programming, help is very appreciated :)

Cheers,
Lucas
Great news! happy to see you are working on it again!

I feel quite comfortable on C, but unfortunately I don't know anything about ARM or ARM assembly... I think I will be able to help you better once the kernel will really boot... ;-)

In what areas do you need help?

Keep up the good work anyway!

Titcher posted on Jul 11 2005 at 02:21 PM said:
Quick question from me, does the bootloader work on BLU+? Will it by the time you're finished?

Yes, it's going to be supported. Doing that is not that hard: it's just a matter of doing a syscall to the GP32 BIOS and reading the firmware version. The problem is that there's a huge number of flashed consoles out there, where the firmware version differs from the original one.

One possible solution is to add a graphical menu where the user has the choice to select whether he/she has a BLU+ or a standard console instead. I've written a new bootloader yesterday - actually, I'm working on it every night - which displays a nice splash screen and after loading the kernel image, asks the user for the clock on which the kernel should be booted. The same menu scheme can be used to ask the user about its GP32 version.

If you're interested on it, I made it available at http://cscience.org/~lucasvr/gp32 . I just didn't have pushed a 2.6 kernel image, as it still needs some work. However, you can put some dummy files at gpmm/linux named ZIMAGE26 and INITRD just to see the bootloader in action.

Cheers,
Lucas

cyberic posted on Jul 11 2005 at 06:55 PM said:
Great news! happy to see you are working on it again!

I feel quite comfortable on C, but unfortunately I don't know anything about ARM or ARM assembly... I think I will be able to help you better once the kernel will really boot... ;-)

In what areas do you need help?

Keep up the good work anyway!

Hi there,

Well, I made some good improvements on the thing. The bootloader is now using MrMirko's SDK (no more GamePark's proprietary stuff), and I've fixed the UART problem. It can send messages through the UART, copy the zImage into RAM and uncompress it.

However, I'm facing some problems with the UART *after* the zImage is copied to RAM: if UART FIFOs are being used, text is truncated at 15th character of any string sent; on the other hand, if UART FIFOs are disabled, text messages can't be read, but the dots (".......") of the uncompression progress are shown properly.

This is the current serial output while uncompressing Linux 2.6.13-rc2:

GP32 Linux bootloader version 2005.07.19
See http://sourceforge.net/projects/gp32linux for project information
Clock speed set to 133MHz
Time to cross your fingers!
.Uncompressing L......................................................
                                                                     done, booting t

The UART code on the Linux kernel is OK for the GP32 - I've spent some good time checking it. What I suspect is that my clock change on the bootloader is doing some harm to the system. I'm doing that by hand, modifying GP32 clock registers directly. I'll try to use the BIOS to do that, just as it's done by Mirko's SDK. I hope to do some more progress until tomorrow - my gf is coming to visit me this friday and will stay here for one entire week, so I don't expect to work on it on these days :)

Cheers,
Lucas

Have a nice time with your gf and keep us updated on any progress you make.

Good luck!

cyberic posted on Jul 20 2005 at 07:57 PM said:
Have a nice time with your gf and keep us updated on any progress you make.

Good luck!
ditto!

Hi, just wanted to ask if the project is dead..
What about the 2.6 kernel port?
Is the wifi pack somewhere available?
thanks bye

Back