Anyone Have A Pandora In Chile?

Grench

Forum Addict!
Read the article...
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/08/24/chile.mine.challenges/index.html?hpt=C1

At the bottom it says:
"And I see no reason why you couldn't pass cell phones down to them, or computers, tethered down to them."

33 men trapped in horrid conditions and bored out of their skulls for the next 4 months.

Do we have a Spanish translation of the OS anywhere?

I wonder...

After all, can you think of any other computer that will fit down a 4" tube?

4 MONTHS!!?? at that rate, the pandora will have come out TWICE!

damn, that's fucked. i'd be willing to help. i'm near the back of the line, but maybe they can bump me up if it's sent to them instead :p

First things first - is there a Spanish version of the OS ready?

Next, someone at OPL would need to contact the mining company with the idea of supplying these to the miners. OPL likely wouldn't have budget to do it for free - but then the mining company would likely be willing to pay for something like this to help keep those men busy/entertained.

As far as queue position goes - the 'feel good publicity' power of something like this could be so huge that another week delay getting mine is fine to send 35 (a couple for spares) of these and a pile of batteries to Chile. Batteries would have to be sent up and down the tube for recharging.

WiFi isn't going to punch through a half mile of rock, so they would have to send down a wireless hub and leave an Ethernet cable in the hole.

In theory, it would open up communications with the miners and their families as well as to entertain them - movies, games, email, skype-style calling, etc...

The theory is good - and after they get the initial health and welfare issues figured out, they need to figure out something to keep these guy's minds occupied.

So, are there any other currently produced mult-functional computers that could fit down a half mile deep 4" diameter hole?

4 Months of human waste in a confined space doesn't sound very good, either. I think they need to start worrying about some other things....

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
4 Months of human waste in a confined space doesn't sound very good, either. I think they need to start worrying about some other things....
grench said:
Couldn't they send something more common, like iPhones down there?

And get a signal through a half mile of rock how?

Last edited by a moderator:
couldnt they send them something will make them kill each other? like one woman?

DaMummy said:
couldnt they send them something will make them kill each other? like one woman?

That'd be quite a small woman...

Grench said:
So, are there any other currently produced mult-functional computers that could fit down a half mile deep 4" diameter hole?

Model Operating System CPU Screen Size/Resolution Dimensions(w x h x d)
Viliv N5 Windows XP Home Atom Z520 1.3ghz 4.8"/1024x600 6.8" x 3.4" x 1"
UMID BZ Various Options Atom Z515 1.2ghz 4.8"/1024x600 6.3" x 3.6" x 1.2"
Pandora Linux ARM Cortex A8 600mhz 4.3"/800x480 5.5" x 3.3" x 1.1"

Prosthetic boobs could fit...

And in regards to the iPhone, I thought the recent models had wi-fi. That or iTouch, or some such that could fit and run the same strategy in terms of skype and other software.

Grench said:
And get a signal through a half mile of rock how?

I heard that new iPhone's signal reception wouldn't be much worse with half mile of rock covering it.

I'm in Chile, who wants to bet if I get my Pandora before those guys come out?

PS: Miners are the most badass of badassess, ever. 17 days trapped 1000 meters below ground with no contact to the outside world and the first thing they did was ask if anyone had gotten hurt from the mine collapsing. They'll be alright without a Pandora, as long as they can get food, Pisco and some pr0n, they'll be just fine.

differentSmoke said:
Miners are the most badass of badassess, ever. 17 days trapped 1000 meters below ground with no contact to the outside world and the first thing they did was ask if anyone had gotten hurt from the mine collapsing.
This reminds me of the two guys that were trapped in a mine for 14 days in Beaconsfield, Aus back in 2007. When they came out, the first thing they did was grab their name tags off the board to mark the end of their shift. The video still makes me get something in my eye.

They lost one of their mates sadly.

Back