Anyone Into Shenmue?

Angel posted on Oct 15 2005 at 09:58 PM said:
Well, i tried the mod thing, and yep, one new dead Dreamcast.
Oh man, you are just too clumsy. That means your DC doesn´t recognise any games anymore? Have you damaged anything during the adjustment of the drive speed?

Hum, i never considered the possibility of this fix doing any damage... its so easy to do...

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent played it but Indigo Prophecy/Ferenheit looks a little sad in the PS2 screen shots on their website in comparison to the PC and Xbox screens. Kinda sad for me especially as I'd expect it to have better controls and my laptop probably couldn't handle the PC version. (also the PS2 version is sure to be edited here so I'd have to get the Euro PC version)

Shenmue was designed to be an open free roam virtual world like GTA which probably accounts more for it's feel, where IP/F is more of an interactive movie. I could probably enjoy watching a video of that more then Shenmue which is cinematic but features a lot more idle time pursuits like listening to tapes and racing forklifts.

The fact you have to use the directional buttons to control ryo really annoys me, why not the stick?

Nova posted on Oct 16 2005 at 04:15 PM said:
The fact you have to use the directional buttons to control ryo really annoys me, why not the stick?

The US Xbox version of Shenmue II you can use the analog stick...

Fishbong posted on Oct 16 2005 at 10:33 AM said:
Angel posted on Oct 15 2005 at 09:58 PM said:
Well, i tried the mod thing, and yep, one new dead Dreamcast.
Oh man, you are just too clumsy. That means your DC doesn´t recognise any games anymore? Have you damaged anything during the adjustment of the drive speed?

Hum, i never considered the possibility of this fix doing any damage... its so easy to do...

I probably should've stopped when i realized my inards of the dreamcast didn't look like the pictures in the tutorial. Then i realized the screw i was supposed to turn was actually soldered to not move. What happened is i was clumbsy, i pulled to hard on the unit and the white cords pulled out from under the dreamcast, problem is, it ripped it completely in half, like it was cut with a razor or something, weird.

aQwaBlaz3 posted on Oct 17 2005 at 01:46 AM said:
Nova posted on Oct 16 2005 at 04:15 PM said:

The US Xbox version of Shenmue II you can use the analog stick...

The DC version of shenmue II lets you control Ryo with the analogue stick, its switchable in the options.

oh whatever....

Well anyways....talking about "modding" Dreamcast hardware....When I was in highschool me and my friend had a dream to create a new videogame compnay (also...a punk band) and I had a broken dreamcast...and I brought it to school to fix it in electronics class...well that day the teacher was out, so our ADHD took over and we smashed the whole thing apart...I do have the GD-ROM on top of my TV to remind me of that day...what a great day.

poor dreamcast :(

anyway, what's this of a shenmue II mod??? i have both vers..so you mod your dc hardware to run...what?
better flip to page one :p

nevermind..
anyway, just buy a new dreamcast. they're way cheap...buy 5 units.

Since the second Shemue never came out in the US People would mod their DCs to play the Euro version since it's in english. I got my brother the Euro version for Xmas one year because I knew his system was modded... even plays VCDs.

you couldn't have just used the utopia boot disk? ...i think it will, not sure.
anyway, long live shenmue!!
haha, i loved how Ryo had time to collect toys and play at the arcade, but had no time for Nozomi heh

Jengo posted on Oct 20 2005 at 01:05 AM said:
i had the Xbox Shenmue 2, but i heard the DC version of Shenmue 2 looks better

is this true?!
Not in the slightest bit true. The XBox had antialiasing, much better water, more dynamic lighting/shadows, improved character models (main characters), much faster load times, and it was all held on a single DVD. It's pretty much superior in every way...

...except the whole not being on Dreamcast thing. Oh yeah, and the terrible English voice acting. :p

Shenmue is one of the best things ever.
Its a shame the sequel was so rushed.
And even more of a shame III never came at all.

People buying software to play imports?
You do know that it isn't that hard to find a programme you download and burn yourself that lets you play imports right?...well obviously not.

the sequel wasnt rushed they just didn't advance it any further than they'd already created it. It was made similar to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy where everything was put together at one time, Locals, art, character models, minigames, all of it was planned early on they just needed to program it all.

But it was a gamble that they lost on, they over estimated the interest in Shenmue, they expected it to be a system seller much the way Nintendo and Capcom though RE4 would be. When it didn't pull them out of the sales slump they canceled the expensive U.S. release. Later Sega thinking they could make the XBox number 1 all by themselves figured they'd bring back the series on this new platform, they increased the polycount, raised the texture rez and it still didnt do the trick. SIII may or may not come out but they might as well try since they already had the story written 3 years ago and they already know what they intend to do for the 3rd game.

Josquius posted on Oct 20 2005 at 12:02 PM said:
Shenmue is one of the best things ever.
Its a shame the sequel was so rushed.
And even more of a shame III never came at all.

People buying software to play imports?
You do know that it isn't that hard to find a programme you download and burn yourself that lets you play imports right?...well obviously not.
Ummm.... Okay. <_<

And Shenmue II was by no means rushed. The game was in development for longer than Shenmue I since production of both games started at the same time (since they were originally going to be a single game). Also, Shenmue II makes a great deal of improvements over Shenmue I. The game has better pacing, the fighting system was improved a bit, the world is enormous (much larger than ShenI), character development is some of the best I've ever seen, character and environments are amazing.

Shenmue II was snatched up by Microsoft because they thought it would round out their somewhat lacking software library on the Xbox (at the time). And Sega, realizing they'll never get the sales they need from a Dreamcast release of the game, went along with it.

for those that beat shenmue 2...what bout the video on saturn..how awesome is that...?

I am well aware shenmue was all once meant to be the same game. Many of the early screen shots were from 2.
2 definatly was rushed. Just compare the two games, 2 is only a bit longer yet contains 3 chapters whilst 1 is only 1 chapter. The most obvious example of this is the final chapter in 2, it is mostly just a ultra linear (albeit it very pretty) video.

ultraman posted on Oct 24 2005 at 01:38 AM said:
for those that beat shenmue 2...what bout the video on saturn..how awesome is that...?

oh yeah....that was badass as hell

Back