Anyone Possibly Able To Port These Games

I was wondering are any of these games possible to be ported to the Caanoo they are linux and open source...

http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/

I've ported Metal Blob Solid to the Wiz (source), so anyone with a caanoo and a little bit of programming abilities should be able to port/adapt/recompile it.

I didn't look too much into the rest, because they we're just out of the specs of the Wiz (thus Caanoo, too) especially regarding screen size. If anyone wants to give them a try, be warned, resizing a game to fit the screen may need _a lot_ of work.

crow_riot said:
I've ported Metal Blob Solid to the Wiz (source), so anyone with a caanoo and a little bit of programming abilities should be able to port/adapt/recompile it.

I didn't look too much into the rest, because they we're just out of the specs of the Wiz (thus Caanoo, too) especially regarding screen size. If anyone wants to give them a try, be warned, resizing a game to fit the screen may need _a lot_ of work.

I wish I knew how to code would be so much easier I would do it myself but I give mad kudo's to all you devs that do that make this community so great.....

Last edited by a moderator:
glezmen said:
i'm having a look at starfighter, i loved that game a few years ago :)

i started digging in the code, and it seems to be usable, I start porting Project Starfighter, keep fingers crossed ;)

glezmen said:
glezmen said:

i started digging in the code, and it seems to be usable, I start porting Project Starfighter, keep fingers crossed ;)
I'm working on a Pandora version, so pm if you need a hand (haven't found a good solution for scaling yet, manual graphics and code hacking would work, but It's ugly, hard work, and buggy)

darfgarf said:
glezmen said:
glezmen said:

I'm working on a Pandora version, so pm if you need a hand (haven't found a good solution for scaling yet, manual graphics and code hacking would work, but It's ugly, hard work, and buggy)

the scaling doesn't seem to be a very serious problem, i've just did some hacking and it works (the game runs in 320x240), although it's still not perfect, but considering it's just half an hour of work, it's not bad :)
the only serious problem is the starfield, I had to disable it until i will adopt it to the small resolution
the most problems are with text displaying, i'll try to fix it, change the keyboard mappings to Caanoo joy/buttons and look what we have

Hi
i have started to port this great game for GP2X in the past....if you have an F100/F200 you can test my version here ..http://pdroms.de/files/2008/
But i never finished this because rescaling the shop and others menu was very time consuming...and after some time i feel demotivated .. :huh:

Here is the GP2X thread about it...http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/38487-starfighter/page__view__findpost__p__702276
i never published the source but if you need it for anything let me know ..i used the Azmodean source + Markus Wolf mod the game for windows.

glezmen said:
the only serious problem is the starfield

maybe that's the segfault i was having then, as i assume it uses putpixel etc

have you made sure the hitboxes are correct though, i didn't dig far enough into the source to see how they were being done

the hitboxes are based on position and image width/height, they seem to be correct
now the game runs on the Caanoo, but with severe graphical glitches. i've just completed the first mission, so it's kinda work :) but the screen after the mission seems to be crap, it seems it will need some work...

Farox said:
i have started to port this great game for GP2X in the past....if you have an F100/F200 you can test my version here ..http://pdroms.de/files/2008/
But i never finished this because rescaling the shop and others menu was very time consuming...and after some time i feel demotivated .. :huh:

i'll see what can i do with the original sources, and after that i will contact you!

glezmen said:
Farox said:

i'll see what can i do with the original sources, and after that i will contact you!

if this game is 640x480 I would have just replaced the screen with a 640x480 surface and then copied every other line to the screen. I did this for super mario war and it didnt turn out too bad.

Pickle said:
glezmen said:
it's 800x600...

well it the same thing could be done, dont know how well it would look :rolleyes:

i use a scaler inserted in the image loader code to resize all image, and modified the text rendering and blitter methods. it works quite well, although the text rendering is very ugly
to be honest, the result of this quick&dirt scaling hack is much better than I expected :) but there's still lot of work to do

Back