Anyone working on a MMORPG (or port)???

That doesn't make a big difference, as the whole cpu needs to emulated, too. So no less workload, maybe less ram usage.
The CPU only needs to be emulated in so far as the executable itself is running. In user mode, system and dynamic library calls are executed natively which can result in a huge gain. This is what Grench is looking for, and there's no reason to think it wouldn't work significantly better than emulating the full machine. There's also no reason to think that it will work significantly better, but let's be optimistic here. :)

Unfortunately, as you say, it looks like user mode emulation for ARM was broken a little while ago.

mcobit, this looks very interesting:

Edit: this is the epic forum post on the n900 experiment: http://talk.maemo.or...ead.php?t=43480

The limitation is that qemu does not support NPTL which is used in later versions of wine.

Hmmm... I'm not wanting to run an X86 Windows application on a Linux ARM device. I'm wanting to run an X86 Linux application on a Linux ARM device. In theory it should be less complicated?

If you look at the n900 thread linux x86 can also run with the same qemu user mode file. Start by running the x86 version of ls. I ran a few linux x86 games (simple ones that come with a ubuntu install). They kind of worked - in that they ran - but I didn't have all of the libraries for them so were messed up.

shouldn't this + wine for ARM offer much better performance than emulating the whole windows OS for windows apps?

edit: wine not win... and a link to wine for ARM http://wiki.winehq.org/ARM

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't make a big difference, as the whole cpu needs to emulated, too. So no less workload, maybe less ram usage.
The CPU only needs to be emulated in so far as the executable itself is running. In user mode, system and dynamic library calls are executed natively which can result in a huge gain. This is what Grench is looking for, and there's no reason to think it wouldn't work significantly better than emulating the full machine. There's also no reason to think that it will work significantly better, but let's be optimistic here. :)

Unfortunately, as you say, it looks like user mode emulation for ARM was broken a little while ago.
Ack - blocked at every turn. I wonder if/when that's going to get fixed.

Back