Appstore Look

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Hello everyone,

I have a version of the appstore working, but it looks awful as I'm no good with graphics.

The site is very minimal right now, at only 11k per page on average (screen shots make that higher though).

Anyway, attached is a pic of the current layout, this is for THE PANDORA RESOLUTION, that is why everything is big and in a small space. It has to be that size or you can hardly see it on the Pandora screen. It is NOT possible to have a bar on both sides like the gp2x file archive, it make it just too small, so they are all on the left for that reason.

Remember it is totally web based, this isn't an application you run on the Pandora, you just browse to it with firefox.

Anyway, after seeing the great launch skins you did, let's see some awesomeness for the app store:

versionone.png

how are we supposed to provide artwork for a screenshot?

Or do you wish for a mockup?

Suggestion: Categories on the left instead of 'most popular'? Or is it/ would it be customizable?

Oh, maybe the source of a sample page would be handy, we'd be able to design pages instead of images.

Could you post the source files? Html/css - does it hook into a database? Very exciting stuff!

Edit: ninja'd

Agreed, categories are most important for an appstore. A proper way to browse to interesting things instead of searching for them is kind of a requirement.

Somehow this doesn't look enjoyable.

quick question
whats the reasoning of having, a web based store

it would be productive , if you made it a 'program' in a years time
to save banwidth costs, could also make it more user friendly

also are we gonna get some HTML 5.0 lovin
ogg streaming etc

something i came up with a while ago,
http://forums.qj.net:80/psp-homebrew-hacks-discussion/143658-homebrewstore-would-used.html#post2102002

conso said:
how are we supposed to provide artwork for a screenshot?

Or do you wish for a mockup?

Yes a mockup, you can adjust anything (within reason) and I can alter the html to suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't think it should be web based... only because of how limited a web app is. If we use an actual PND app we could do so much more!...

Just check out Rock for the iPhone...

HackModford said:
I really don't think it should be web based... only because of how limited a web app is. If we use an actual PND app we could do so much more!...

I'm sure that that is able to be made. I doubt there being no way to get a list of all apps in the store, and one could easily make an application around that.

HackModford said:

Yeah, something like Rock for the Pandora would be awesome. Being able to give a rating out of 5 stars would be fantastic. Especially since there will be paid apps, so it'd be nice to know how good it is before paying up.

A relatively simple interface, with categories sorted into types, most download, highest rated etc would be really good.

Edit: Just took a closer look, seems there is already a rating option...

web based is definetly the way to go for something like this, those guys making pmenu skins should make something for this to match their skins :) would be awesome

B-ZaR said:
Well, if the store exposes an API, client programs can be created later.

You will be able to grab anything you want from it. Someone may well make one for the Pandora, but right now, it is html based so you can access it from any machine inc. the Pandora.

One idea would be to copy the way the App Store functions on the iPhone or iPod Touch by adding tabs for different categories: latest uploads, most downloaded, search, etc. One of the benefits is that you can quickly access and compare different apps. Because the Pandora screen is higher res, there could also be a detailed info area on one side, so if you select an app from a list on the left, you get the detailed app info on the right while retaining the list on the left.

In other words:

LIST:............................................DETAILED APP INFO:
app
app
SELECTED APP
app
app
app
app

TAB .. TAB .. TAB .. TAB

I'm sure this extremely vivid portrayal is perfectly clear.

cobaltage said:
One idea would be to copy the way the App Store functions on the iPhone or iPod Touch by adding tabs for different categories: latest uploads, most downloaded, search, etc. One of the benefits is that you can quickly access and compare different apps. Because the Pandora screen is higher res, there could also be a detailed info area on one side, so if you select an app from a list on the left, you get the detailed app info on the right while retaining the list on the left.

In other words:

LIST:............................................DETAILED APP INFO:
app
app
SELECTED APP
app
app
app
app

TAB .. TAB .. TAB .. TAB

I'm sure this extremely vivid portrayal is perfectly clear.

It does sort of work like that now. I'll add in the categories tabs (along the top maybe?).

emcp said:
quick question
whats the reasoning of having, a web based store

it would be productive , if you made it a 'program' in a years time
to save banwidth costs, could also make it more user friendly

also are we gonna get some HTML 5.0 lovin
ogg streaming etc

something i came up with a while ago,
http://forums.qj.net:80/psp-homebrew-hacks-discussion/143658-homebrewstore-would-used.html#post2102002
no gravity! now that game must be in the app store some time.

Craigix, i could maby ask somebody i know who likes to create websites.
But he needs the files. so give the source and maby he can help :)

CoMiKe said:
Craig, I think you should post a base html file and people will be able to provide good css sheets for that file, as a start.

There isn't a standard one yet, it's all generated on the fly and it's not finished yet. I'm just asking for awesome layout ideas + graphics while I'm doing it.

Back